The Straight Ankle Lock

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/The-Straight-Ankle-Lock-for-BJJ

While leglocks were commonly demonized in the late 1990s and on into the early 2000s in some circles, the straight ankle lock has remained legal in virtually every BJJ competition circuit's rule set. Despite this, and even in today's considerably more leglock-liberal climate, many gyms simply don't address the most fundamental of lower body submissions: the straight ankle lock. Here, we'll break down some fundamentally sound entries, and we'll give some tips on getting the submission on the toughest of feet.

I wonder why most people prefer ankle lock us the outside, I personally love the inside ankle lock, specially because later on, you can transfer to the inside hh... anyways, my inside straight ankle lock is better than the outside, I have also more control...

Last edited:
I wonder why most people prefer ankle lock us the outside, I personally love the inside ankle lock, specially because later one, you can transfer to the inside hh... anyways, my inside straight ankle lock is better than the outside, I have also more control...
Like cross-body ankle locks (like from 50/50)? Different moves for different circumstances.

Our club is either, ''What you can attack the legs ?'' guys or MMA heelhookers. There's nothing in between, our coach is working on that and he uses the ankle lock as the common finish to the leg game. It's safer than heelhooks and he thinks that if you can get in a position to have a heelhook you can also do an ankle lock. It's gonna keep everybody honest while rolling when everybody will be able to attack the legs and get a finish.

Like cross-body ankle locks (like from 50/50)? Different moves for different circumstances.

Yep, cross-body ankle lock, I like to call it inside and outside to make the difference. The thing is, from 50/50, is not a really powerful ankle lock, sure some can make it work, but is not nearly as powerful as having a knee in the middle, basically the same position as an outside ankle lock, but with the leg being attack in the “inside” , that knee in the middle provides control and distance management to attack the ankle in Many different ways...

Ive heard from brazilians that it is super taboo to tap to straight ankles at black belt.Unless it's a luiz panza type of fella they will straight up talk about u in a negative light. Im preparing my feet.

Just wonder if anybody besides me goes with the Marcelo rnc type grip for ankle locks?? I used to never hit them til I switched

Just wonder if anybody besides me goes with the Marcelo rnc type grip for ankle locks?? I used to never hit them til I switched

I find that grip harder to get the correct angle for the sharp bone on my wrist to be where it needs to be, as well as more difficult to get deep enough on the ankle. Meaning: I end up shoving my forearm into their lower calf everytime I try that grip.

Ive heard from brazilians that it is super taboo to tap to straight ankles at black belt.Unless it's a luiz panza type of fella they will straight up talk about u in a negative light. Im preparing my feet.

That’s not true, I train with a couple of guys who normally do camps for copa podio at Caio almeida’s, people do tap to ankle locks, a lot.. and it’s coming back full force, reason being, during a long time, Ankle locks were not even considered as a viable weapon seems like, people were just not doing them right...now days, a bunch of ankle lock savages out here, cavaca panza etc...

But as always, there are exepctions, it’s a joint lock, and there are some freaks that just don’t tap to joint locks, and it’s not becaus they can take the pain better than other people (well some get their limbs broken, but that’s not what it should be like).. it’s becuae they are just freaks with extreme joint flexibility.. miyaos don’t ever tap to toe holds, ever, I don’t think there’s a way to make robson Moura tap from leg locks, or Miyaos or Mendes... Marcelo Garcia has said that his feet aren’t very flexible so he just al along avoids leg entanglements...

But for most human beings, ankle locks work...

Rnc grip works well, i normally go for the guillotine grip, but rnc grip works, I don’t like the regular figure 4 though..

Rnc grip works well, i normally go for the guillotine grip, but rnc grip works, I don’t like the regular figure 4 though..

I also go for the guillotine grip esp if I'm really low on the ankle to start. It's really the only 2 grips I go for.

Yep, cross-body ankle lock, I like to call it inside and outside to make the difference. The thing is, from 50/50, is not a really powerful ankle lock, sure some can make it work, but is not nearly as powerful as having a knee in the middle, basically the same position as an outside ankle lock, but with the leg being attack in the “inside” , that knee in the middle provides control and distance management to attack the ankle in Many different ways...
I used to feel the same way about the 50/50 straight ankle (crossbody). It's my highest percentage finish on other black belts now.

I used to feel the same way about the 50/50 straight ankle (crossbody). It's my highest percentage finish on other black belts now.

From 50/50 or just cross body leg with a knee in between?

I really feel like I could break someone’s tibia from the pressure I get from the “inside ankle lock” let alone the ankle...(probably not going to happen, it just feels that powerful)

From 50/50 or just cross body leg with a knee in between?

I really feel like I could break someone’s tibia from the pressure I get from the “inside ankle lock” let alone the ankle...(probably not going to happen, it just feels that powerful)
From 50/50. Same, I'm 100% certain I could break one of the bones in their lower leg. It didn't happen overnight, to be sure.

From 50/50. Same, I'm 100% certain I could break one of the bones in their lower leg. It didn't happen overnight, to be sure.

How do you deal with a simple boot defense? If I get to 50/50, I will normally straight up look to go belly down, long leg players make the boot a pretty simple good defense, at least just enough to come up... with a knee in between, I control the distance, giving me much more torque and stop them to come up... would you mind posting a vid of your tech?

That’s not true, I train with a couple of guys who normally do camps for copa podio at Caio almeida’s, people do tap to ankle locks, a lot.. and it’s coming back full force, reason being, during a long time, Ankle locks were not even considered as a viable weapon seems like, people were just not doing them right...now days, a bunch of ankle lock savages out here, cavaca panza etc...

But as always, there are exepctions, it’s a joint lock, and there are some freaks that just don’t tap to joint locks, and it’s not becaus they can take the pain better than other people (well some get their limbs broken, but that’s not what it should be like).. it’s becuae they are just freaks with extreme joint flexibility.. miyaos don’t ever tap to toe holds, ever, I don’t think there’s a way to make robson Moura tap from leg locks, or Miyaos or Mendes... Marcelo Garcia has said that his feet aren’t very flexible so he just al along avoids leg entanglements...

But for most human beings, ankle locks work...

Might be a Florida thing. I just know i believe my source

Might be a Florida thing. I just know i believe my source

Well, I’m telling you your source is exagerrating things, erberth santos is on vid tapping some dude in competition from a standing ankle lock... sometimes it’s either tap or get your foot broken.

No shame in avoiding getting your foot broken.

How do you deal with a simple boot defense? If I get to 50/50, I will normally straight up look to go belly down, long leg players make the boot a pretty simple good defense, at least just enough to come up... with a knee in between, I control the distance, giving me much more torque and stop them to come up... would you mind posting a vid of your tech?
I'll need to do a tutorial on this. LOTS of words. I literally could teach a seminar (3 hours or so) on just this move. It's complicated, and there are a small handful of my students who are proficient in the move now. It's a legit game changer, but certainly not the easiest to describe.

Our club is either, ''What you can attack the legs ?'' guys or MMA heelhookers. There's nothing in between, our coach is working on that and he uses the ankle lock as the common finish to the leg game. It's safer than heelhooks and he thinks that if you can get in a position to have a heelhook you can also do an ankle lock. It's gonna keep everybody honest while rolling when everybody will be able to attack the legs and get a finish.
I wish there were more coaches like yours out there.

Well, I’m telling you your source is exagerrating things, erberth santos is on vid tapping some dude in competition from a standing ankle lock... sometimes it’s either tap or get your foot broken.

No shame in avoiding getting your foot broken.
Ppl tap to footlocks all the time. Doesnt mean it's not taboo. Behind ur back em black belts come out they're mouth about u. Like i said, it might be different if an erberth or panza is applying it.Being around em brazilian black belts you realize there is a WHOLE other side to the sport. It more resembles a boxing environment if anything. Sooo ye, id rather agree to disagree.

Back