The 2017 Heavies Awards - Best Sub of the Year - Winner: Demetrious Johnson's "Mighty Wiz-bar"

2017 Best Submission of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tough one. Went with the P4P King Mighty Mouse... That was something only he could pull off.

Gotta go with DJ.

For me, most of the rest were a little bit "amateur hour," if I'm honest.

I mean, how in hell do you get subbed with an Ezekial choke when you have full mount and no gi?

It has to be DJ, especially considering the circumstances that he was already easily winning the fight on points but still went for that.

Armbar takedown combo by DJ ,with out a doubt for me just so slick .

Why is DJ's trick submission in there?
None of the other contenders had the luxury of being able to horse around in a cherry-picked mismatch. They were all fighting real competition.

It's a tough pick between "you can't do that kind of submission with no shirt on" vs "that's not a real life submission". Think I'll stick with the latter.

Ole for me and wasn't hard to pick. Amazing sub.

Demetrious Johnson

It's a tough one!

Have to go with DJ as the setup was insane. Oleinik and Brett's were ridiculous too.

I voted for the mouse trap
I would have put Brandao's helicopter armbar on the list (not sure if it happened in 2017)

giphy.gif

Oliynyk is awesome. But, MM gets my vote. If not for that sub by MM... Oliynyk would have got my vote.

I mean, how in hell do you get subbed with an Ezekial choke when you have full mount and no gi?

That's exactly why I voted for him. He has 11 wins by Ezekiel by the way, it's not some silly fluke, it's a masterful sub that I have never seen anyone else do in MMA.

DJ's is the winner here. It was insane.

In reality it's probably DJ but I voted for The Pikey.

I love leg related finishes, but Oleinik deserves the cake.

That's exactly why I voted for him. He has 11 wins by Ezekiel by the way, it's not some silly fluke, it's a masterful sub that I have never seen anyone else do in MMA.

Didn't realize that. That little bit of context does change my opinion some.

Subbing a guy while he has full mount is pretty astonishing.

MM's armbar transition was really cool but that Ezekiel is just wow.

Went with Alexei just cause it's so rare, but DJ's was awesome as well.

Back