Running for mma

MarinoH

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
How often should I run to improve my cardio

There are better alternatives but if your knees can handle it then run based on your assessment of aerobic capacity and increase it properly.

I only do sprints and have no issues with either aerobic or anaerobic components.

Thanks man i will try it for sure and let you know how it went

Run unpaved trails. They're easier on the knees and a better workout overall if there are hills involved.

How often should I run to improve my cardio
Would you want to improve your stamina or endurance? Each on each involves different types of running? Also, many different joint friendly alternatives to improve both your stamina and endurance.

Would you want to improve your stamina or endurance? Each on each involves different types of running? Also, many different joint friendly alternatives to improve both your stamina and endurance.
I want to improve my stamina bc my conditioning is good i dont really get fatigued but i tend to gass out

I run on a treadmill since its cold as balls outside, so to minimize joint damage, i run barefoot so I strike with the ball of my foot and also I put on a decent incline.

I run on a treadmill since its cold as balls outside, so to minimize joint damage, i run barefoot so I strike with the ball of my foot and also I put on a decent incline.

So to decrease joint damage, you take off shoes and run downhill? How does this make any sense?

So to decrease joint damage, you take off shoes and run downhill? How does this make any sense?
Running barefoot might make things worse, or it might not, but I think he said incline, as in up hill.

Sprints for your ATP/100% Effort system
1 Mile Runs for Anaerobic
3-6 Mile runs for LSD.

Start slow

Last edited:
i use to run alto 3 times week usually everyday if i have to cut weight id run 6 miles

Has anyone out together a routine that includes sprints and distance ?

Is it simply a case of alternating them. Such as one 5k and then the next time do 10 x 100 metres or something ?

I would try running backwards. This is an ideal a lot of MMAers are moving towards. This enables you not to gas if you've lost that forward momentum. You won't lose as much energy as you move backwards in the fight.

I would try running backwards. This is an ideal a lot of MMAers are moving towards. This enables you not to gas if you've lost that forward momentum. You won't lose as much energy as you move backwards in the fight.

Trying to reduce the ATP turn over i see.

Has anyone out together a routine that includes sprints and distance ?

Is it simply a case of alternating them. Such as one 5k and then the next time do 10 x 100 metres or something ?

How you put them together has to do with training age, weight, and current aerobic status.

For what it's worth most endurance sports will have a split of roughly 85 percent of work noticeably below ventilory threshold, and 15 percent noticeably above.

People get joint pain from running because people run in these modern running shoes that have lifted heels...that's no good as landing on your heels creates lot of impact, because the heel has not give to it. So i go barefoot and put my treadmill on an incline so going up hill, this makes you naturally land on the ball of your foot which has a lot more spring to it and thus decreases the shock.

Back