How do you guys prevent or reduce muscle soreness after long gym layoff?

Dick_Stillhard

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I went to the gym yesterday after having not been for almost 3 weeks. Today I am pretty damn sore, but apart from eating protein and carbs, I'm not sure what else I can do that will help my muscles recover within a few days so I can get back into the gym ASAP.

Any advice?

Go for a walk after.

Take some ibuprofen.

Drink some water.

Sleep 8 hours.

Active recovery and self release. Good food and sleep.

You missed the biggest opportunity you had to avoid/minimize soreness but the standard stretching, massage, active rest, etc is a good idea. Caffeine has been shown to help with this as well. In my experience though, a simple post workout shake with a good protein and a good high/mid glycemic carbohydrate does the trick incredibly well, followed by a good meal 2-3 hours later. Im aware that the existence of the post workout window has been debated but Ive experienced it so many times that's why I feel the way I do. Like shoveling 8 hours after a blizzard when I hadn't trained in months and having almost no soreness the next day.

Do cold showers every day for at least five minutes.

One of my friends that was in the military said they were forced to do cold showers and could work for 15 hours a day as a result.

A lot of benefits to doing them. I only started doing it the last few weeks. Your body adapts quickly.

It's hard to reduce it after you are sore IME (massage, cold showers, active recovery, etc can help alleviate it somewhat). The easiest way to prevent it is to do an easy workout the day before using the same movementa so you get a little used to it before going heavy.

One of my friends that was in the military said they were forced to do cold showers and could work for 15 hours a day as a result.

A lot of benefits to doing them. I only started doing it the last few weeks. Your body adapts quickly.
I tried that but hell to the no. It’s torture..

I tried that but hell to the no. It’s torture..

Give it some time. Your body will adjust. The first time I did it I was hyperventilating, which is normal.

Work up to it if you have to. Gradually get colder and colder.

It doesn't cost anything.

Best thing you can do is gradually increase the workload after a layoff. If you go back and lift what you did before, you will definitely be sore. Not getting DOMS is more about consistent training and frequency than anything else.

Massages/releases/stretching, cold showers, active recovery, sleep, good foods and so on might help a bit after the fact, but being preemptive is the best way to avoid it.

Last edited:

I've done cold showers for years, they've really not done anything for soreness, nor work capability. Has helped some with joint pain though, but it's a highly subjective matter. It's more of a mental thing than anything, and if you feel it helps you sustain throughout the day then more power to you.

I just do them because I like the feeling of contrasting hot and cold.

I've done cold showers for years, they've really not done anything for soreness, nor work capability. Has helped some with joint pain though, but it's a highly subjective matter. It's more of a mental thing than anything, and if you feel it helps you sustain throughout the day then more power to you.

I just do them because I like the feeling of contrasting hot and cold.

Being in my 40's, I need all the help I can get.

And I don't do it just for muscles.

Best thing you can do is gradually increase the workload after a layoff. If you go back and lift what you did before, you will definitely be sore. Not getting DOMS is more about consistent training and frequency than anything else.

Massages/releases/stretching, cold showers, active recovery, sleep, good foods and so on might help a bit after the fact, but being preemptive is the best way to avoid it.

Happy endings bud

I always do legs if I am off for more than three days in a row. I actually find that doubling down on the carbs (pizza cheat meal) and ensuring I am taking my creatine gets me through the recovery phase.

Next day is just a white monster and I am dominate as fuck.

Water
NSAIDS
Stretching
Food
Foam roller/lacrosse ball/tennis ball trigger point release
Rest
Massage
Having something to preoccupy the pain like a movie.

The above, or, a giant glass of suck it the f up. Embrace the misery. :meow:

Back