delete

Do you guys think you are really going to break me?

I ought to file a lawsuit for defamation of character

Last edited:
Is there something wrong with your hands that causes a mixed grip or a hook grip to not be secure enough on their own?

I have very small hands and im not willing to do the dedicated extra grip work to be able to make a regular hook grip or mixed grip work(for various reasons). I cannot hold over ~560 long enough to lock it out if I use any other grip. That also explains why it appears I'm not locking out but the fact is despite the claims I am locking pulls out and then dropping very fast to save my grip.

Holy fuck, bro. This is sad.

Sorry, you're still not locking out any of the deadlifts. Get some wraps if you have to, but you need to lock our your knees, hips, and shoulders.

Meanwhile if anyone can explain the hook grip a different way than I’ve heard it so I can use it I’m all ears. Everything I’ve read or watched hasn’t stuck. Can’t grip much more than I can double overhand (365).

I have very small hands and im not willing to do the dedicated extra grip work to be able to make a regular hook grip or mixed grip work(for various reasons). I cannot hold over ~560 long enough to lock it out if I use any other grip. That also explains why it appears I'm not locking out but the fact is despite the claims I am locking pulls out and then dropping very fast to save my grip.
I have very small hands as well, and I don't have a problem with my grip (mixed). If you're using hook/mix grip you should not have to worry about "dropping very fast to save my grip." Your lockout issues look more like bad starting positioning and/or weak glutes and hips.

it may appear that way but i assure you that is not the issue...if i stick around these parts you will see same bat time same bat channel

This went from worse to even more worse.

@JimRussel is Epleys even accurate? According to Epleys my bench should be 415 but that’s highly unlikely.

Meanwhile if anyone can explain the hook grip a different way than I’ve heard it so I can use it I’m all ears. Everything I’ve read or watched hasn’t stuck. Can’t grip much more than I can double overhand (365).
My hook grip slips as well, I can do a triple with 420 before having to re grip the bar

@JimRussel is Epleys even accurate? According to Epleys my bench should be 415 but that’s highly unlikely.
Those things are ballpark estimates. I find my 3 deep max to be the most accurate with those. I can do 315 for 11 (before my injury can probably still do it 9 or 10 times now) but that does not equal a 430 bench irl. I can do 350 for three solid reps and can bench right at 385. Pretty spot on. If I had to pull a number or of my ass I’d say it gets you within 20 pounds

I've got big hands.

160303235523-gop-debate-trump-hands-full-169.jpg

It's the one I've always used, not that that means much. They're all just slightly different estimation tools. Unlike most people, however, I never really put any stock in sets over 3 reps. I'd only ever use 2-3 rep sets to estimate my 1RM. Anything more than that, and the weight was too light to highlight technique issues/weak points. If I could hold my technique together for a 2-3RM, I know I could likely hit something close to my estimated 1RM. I'd still err on the conservative side, though, especially when picking third attempts at meets.

If I pick realistic third attempts, plan my whole peaking cycle on those numbers, and smoke every set and rep leading up to the meet, there's literally no reason I should miss that attempt at the meet, especially after a bunch of rest in the last week.

When I smoked a 672lb squat last June, I think I started my peaking cycle squatting low 400s for sets of 8.

My hook grip slips as well, I can do a triple with 420 before having to re grip the bar

How are you setting it up? Are you "setting" your hook grip before you start the actual rep?

People think grabbing as much fo your thumb with as many fingers as possible is the best way to go, but it's actually the opposite. It just makes it hurt way more. I only use my index and middle finger on my thumb.

It's the one I've always used, not that that means much. They're all just slightly different estimation tools. Unlike most people, however, I never really put any stock in sets over 3 reps. I'd only ever use 2-3 rep sets to estimate my 1RM. Anything more than that, and the weight was too light to highlight technique issues/weak points. If I could hold my technique together for a 2-3RM, I know I could likely hit something close to my estimated 1RM. I'd still err on the conservative side, though, especially when picking third attempts at meets.

If I pick realistic third attempts, plan my whole peaking cycle on those numbers, and smoke every set and rep leading up to the meet, there's literally no reason I should miss that attempt at the meet, especially after a bunch of rest in the last week.

When I smoked a 672lb squat last June, I think I started my peaking cycle squatting low 400s for sets of 8.

How are you setting it up? Are you "setting" your hook grip before you start the actual rep?

People think grabbing as much fo your thumb with as many fingers as possible is the best way to go, but it's actually the opposite. It just makes it hurt way more. I only use my index and middle finger on my thumb.
I use my forefinger and middle finger as well, it’s fine for my first rep or two and then starts to slip. I may not be setting it up right because the bar pressure ends up where my thumb and fingers meet, easily forcing it open

I use my forefinger and middle finger as well, it’s fine for my first rep or two and then starts to slip. I may not be setting it up right because the bar pressure ends up where my thumb and fingers meet, easily forcing it open

Most guys can't do a ton of reps with hook grip. I know I don't have any grip issues, so I tend to strap up for any set over 2 reps. That, or just when my thumbs start to get beat up.

a proper hook grip should not be sliding off. Either you havent chalked up enough or youre using a slippery bar with worn knurling. You can also improve traction using tape on your thumbs.

Back