Uriah

future_king

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Why the heck doesn't Uriah Hall dominate people?? His training footage is amazing, granted it's obviously not always against high level MMA guys, but he's so fast and creative, I just don't get it? Wasn't he supposed to be the next big thing?

Leaves his chin out there when he retreats mainly. Jack Slack did an article on him before that pointed out that one of his more recent knockouts losses was identical to the loss he suffered from Chris Weidman.

I always felt he had alot of tools lacking. Theres a few things that warrant a hype train with mma fans like being Russian or buff or throwing spinning shit. He was the latter and thus someone people over valued his abilities.

He has some nice kicks and occasional head movement. I wouldnt say any of his other skill sets is particularly superb. The mantra that he has " All the tools" to be champ was glaringly false IMO.

Last edited:
He's just not great. His boxing isn't very good - poor footwork, takes his feet out of position often, doesn't pivot or adjust his positioning in exchanges well. Not great defensively, has some decent counterpunching but isn't consistently successful with it. Doesn't have much of a jab, doesn't set up his attacks very well. His stance/positioning collapses when he's pressured.

It seems like people always want to find some mystical reason as to why he's "underperforming" but really he's nothing more than a decent fundamental striker with a ton of holes in his striking and a lot of power/athleticism

I think he’s just putting it all together. He looked good in his last fight.

His explosiveness (no Rogan reference intended) is what makes him stand out. He's always going to be very dangerous. Other than that he's got some pros and cons, nothing mind blowing. You have to be good at something or another to get into the UFC, and he's good at kicking.

Here's a controversial theory: Uriah is just too nice of a guy. He's not bloodthirsty enough, he's not ruthless enough, he cares about his opponents too much.

Remember TUF? Hall felt genuinely SORRY for knocking the other guy out.

I don't believe in "alfa males" and shit but I do think that to become the absolute BEST in such a violent sport you need to be either bloodthirsty (enjoy destroying the opponent) or completely cold-blooded (emotionless).

One could argue that Fedor was both - his face showed no emotion but he said himself that he used to look at his opponents as people who wanted to take food away from his poor family. Jones was bloodthirsty - he enjoyed hurting ppl, stomping knees, eyepoking etc. Wandy was bloodthirst incarnate. Anderson was cold-blooded. And so on.

If you're "only" skilled and athletic (which Hall obviously is) you may end up a gatekeeper (which is who Hall has become). There are many awesome fighters who just don't "smell the blood" - I think Wonderboy is a great example. He has all the tools to be champ but he's too hesitant.

There are exceptions of course - like Machida, who is neither bloodthirsty nor ruthless but he was able to go into fights with an emotionless "empty mind", which is hard to do.

Last edited:
Here's a controversial theory: Uriah is just too nice of a guy. He's not bloodthirsty enough, he's not ruthless enough, he cares about his opponents too much.

Remember TUF? Hall felt genuinely SORRY for knocking the other guy out.

I don't believe in "alfa males" and shit but I do think that become the absolute BEST in such a violent sport you need to be either bloodthirsty (enjoy destroying the opponent) or completely cold-blooded (emotionless).

One could argue that Fedor was both - his face showed no emotion but he said himself that he used to look at his opponents as people who wanted to take food away from his poor family. Jones was bloodthirsty - he enjoyed hurting ppl, stomping knees, eyepoking etc. Wandy was bloodthirst incarnate. Anderson was cold-blooded. And so on.

If you're "only" skilled and athletic (which Hall obviously is) you may end up a gatekeeper (which is who Hall has become). There are many awesome fighters who just don't "smell the blood" - I think Wonderboy is a great example. He has all the tools to be champ but he's too hesitant.

There are exceptions of course - like Machida, who is neither bloodthirsty nor ruthless but he was able to go into fights with an emotionless "empty mind", which is hard to do.

ALWAYS thought this was his biggest problem. As soon as I saw him sorry for koing three guys in the first in amazing fashion (especially Bubba) I knew it wouldnt be good. Fast forward and it looks like he got cold feet infront of the big lights as well.

Recently started a thread about fighters vs athletes (mentality wise style wise) and I think you made some really valid points with people who are "only" skilled or athletic not being able to smell the blood. Would love some of your input on the topic you seem fairly knowledgeable about it

Back