Dong Hyun Kim Single Leg Takedown Techniques

Big Al's Texas BBQ

Sorry, no tortilla!
@Black
Reaction score
The videos are all in Korean, but you can understand what's going on from watching him. Some nice techniques he showed:

i like the 3rd video most guys like to stuff singles in mma by whizzering pushing the head away while bringing there leg to the outside of the hip and extending the leg to get space

funny that chael and the guys from team alpha male dont believe in single legs anymore

Good finishes. Wrestling coaches on the board will immediately laugh though. He makes a day 1 mistake the entire video series. Back hand on top Dong

Good finishes. Wrestling coaches on the board will immediately laugh though. He makes a day 1 mistake the entire video series. Back hand on top Dong

Are you referring to his grip on the single-leg? So if I'm hitting a single on the opponent's left leg, my right hand should be on top when I gable grip my hands, right? I learned to do it that way for a few reasons - the main of which was if you're right hand is on bottom your grip is easier to break as they drive their leg towards the mat.

well he is a judo guy originally...

One of my go-to's is a hi-c to a double leg finish (like Dong showed in video no.3). It is really effective, especially if a guy cross-faces you, just readjust your shot direction.

You are right, that was how I was taught, but in all fairness there are some high level wrestlers who do grab the single that way, usually the ones who specialize in high singles because that grip makes it easier to swing the leg. A good example is Kerry McCoy, on his "Signature Moves: High Single Takedown DVD" he actually mentions that a lot of people say it is the wrong way to grab the leg, but it is what works best for him. For a new wrestler I would agree it is probably not the best thing to teach.

Back