Not sitting down on strikes when sparring

When sparring I tend to counter either off feints or pressuring to promote a response, so i don't really throw hard, just hard enough to let my partner know I tagged them. If i counter with combos I do so explosively and usually catch them with one or two shots. I find that some guys will eventually just start throwing super hard after I tag them a few times. Is this because the counters are hitting harder than I expect and they are trying to match me? or is it more of an ego thing and i should just pick better partners?

It's honestly both.

Counters hurt more because you don't see them coming. That plus getting hit CLEAN by someone " going easy " hurts your ego a little bit.

The person you're sparring with probably figured that they can raise the intensity if you're landing consistent counters on them.

And imo, they SHOULD raise the intensity a bit. If you can continue landing your strikes under raised pressure, then you own the technique and they're going to keep eating punches. And if you can't, then you should be focusing on other parts of your game. Otherwise you're just flow sparring without a threat and while that does have a purpose, it's not everything.

i find that sometimes when you go "light", they don't respect you and just walk right through and throw a 20-hit ultra combo after you hold back on a punch that, with some power behind it, would normally stun or force them to be on the defensive and shell-up/retreat.

the problem then is, you add a bit more mustard on it to make them realize that you were being nice and to be more realistic going forward, but they will inevitably misconstrue that as an open invitation to pick up the intensity.

jabs can be used for more than a few things so i agree with @ARIZE that jabs CAN be powerful, both in and of itself, in a combo, a feint, etc OR accumulating damage. (think GSP and koscheck)

as for counters inflicting damage, it's the element of surprise as @ctrlaltdelete mentioned above.
also, look at lyoto machida's fights with rashad and tito. he countered the shit out of them using his own power PLUS his opponent's momentum.

i find that sometimes when you go "light", they don't respect you and just walk right through and throw a 20-hit ultra combo after you hold back on a punch that, with some power behind it, would normally stun or force them to be on the defensive and shell-up/retreat

This is my problem exactly. Even if its light and i know the strike would have had an impact on me i try to react how i would in a fight not like you said walking right through a clean counter and throwing an ultra combo.

Iv had guys do this and when i show them "look im being nice power wise" they will indefinitely up the intensity

Iv had guys do this and when i show them "look im being nice power wise" they will indefinitely up the intensity
So bang back

Really its their problem at the end of the day. Its like guys who catch kicks from a guy going light thinking it's soft shit, then come fight night he gets his ribs broken from taking the full force of the kick. Some cases get kicked, and failed to catch because the kicker was fast on the retraction.

jabs can be used for more than a few things so i agree with @ARIZE that jabs CAN be powerful, both in and of itself, in a combo, a feint, etc OR accumulating damage. (think GSP and koscheck)

I just remembered this from a few years back (illustrative story):

One time I was sparring this guy (both wearing 16 oz) who was going all out. He charged in like he was leading a cavalry charge or something while winging punches

Didn't even jab him. I just went back a step, put my head down a little and extended out my left arm completely still (stationary) as he ran right square into the glove, like running into a post, I saw his eyes literally roll around in their sockets a few times, he got almost KO'd by his own force, he had to stop because his legs were wobbling, having trouble doing their job of keeping him standing.

Moral of the story is, anything can be powerful. I didn't even use any force, I just planted. It wasn't even a jab.

Last edited:
I just remembered this from a few years back (illustrative story):

One time I was sparring this guy (both wearing 16 oz) who was going all out. He charged in like he was leading a cavalry charge or something while winging punches

Didn't even jab him. I just went back a step, put my head down a little and extended out my left arm completely still (stationary) as he ran right square into the glove, like running into a post, I saw his eyes literally roll around in their sockets a few times, he got almost KO'd by his own force, he had to stop because his legs were wobbling, having trouble doing their job of keeping him standing.

Moral of the story is, anything can be powerful. I didn't even use any force, I just planted. It wasn't even a jab.

Good point, I have to remember the counters are always more damaging than intended. Cant wait to tell my kids the story of how @Reyesnuthugr rocked some dude with a stiff arm LOL

Good point, I have to remember the counters are always more damaging than intended. Cant wait to tell my kids the story of how @Reyesnuthugr rocked some dude with a stiff arm LOL

Not just me, it was a trick my old coach taught me. Worked just like he said, if not better.

Hey, if you're getting blitzed, there's not a lot of options to stop it if you're somehow not allowed to counter.

---

I think the real key here, is for you to stop worrying so much about the other guy. If you know you're not going overboard and your coach doesn't think so either, then you concentrate on your own performance, not about babysitting some hot head and worrying what they're "feeling".

If you're afraid you might go over the line at all, ask your coach to watch and critique (both of you). There really shouldn't be a problem here.

So bang back

Really its their problem at the end of the day. Its like guys who catch kicks from a guy going light thinking it's soft shit, then come fight night he gets his ribs broken from taking the full force of the kick. Some cases get kicked, and failed to catch because the kicker was fast on the retraction.

I do and it usually ends up turning into hard sparring because im not trying to get bullied by some guys upped intensity. I have one or two people I know will take advantage of flow sparring exactly like your saying, matter of fact I had someone catch a switch kick and blast me with a counter right, next time I threw the kick I hit his arm before he could even move just to show him that its not as easy to catch a kick when someone is going as hard as you

I do and it usually ends up turning into hard sparring because im not trying to get bullied by some guys upped intensity. I have one or two people I know will take advantage of flow sparring exactly like your saying, matter of fact I had someone catch a switch kick and blast me with a counter right, next time I threw the kick I hit his arm before he could even move just to show him that its not as easy to catch a kick when someone is going as hard as you
Most of the time I've noticed its pure-bred grapplers that get into striking that tend to take advantage of the partner's "kindness". Really the coach should be there to tell them the danger of building that bad habit since its gonna hurt them in the long run.

One of my teammates was MMA sparring, and high crotched his partner, went slow on the drop since he didn't want to, you know.... turn his partner's head into a smashed watermelon. Guy thought it was normal, and spazzed punched him repeatedly there. 2nd time he dropped him like a sack of potatoes, lol.

For sparring, I always make sure we're on the same page and there was no malice, then if something unusual happens, tell them to chill, if it happens again, its gym war time.

Not just me, it was a trick my old coach taught me. Worked just like he said, if not better.

Hey, if you're getting blitzed, there's not a lot of options to stop it if you're somehow not allowed to counter.

---

I think the real key here, is for you to stop worrying so much about the other guy. If you know you're not going overboard and your coach doesn't think so either, then you concentrate on your own performance, not about babysitting some hot head and worrying what they're "feeling".

If you're afraid you might go over the line at all, ask your coach to watch and critique (both of you). There really shouldn't be a problem here.

I think what started me thinking about it is that a fight is a fight but sparring is with your team and Im not trying to hurt my buddies but I definitely see what youre saying. Im also aware you cant just flow spar and hard sparring has its place, Coach has been accidentally cut, guys drop from leg kicks, iv given a bloody nose or two so Im no stranger to it but its just the assholes that try to rock you because they feel demoralised that bother me

I think what started me thinking about it is that a fight is a fight but sparring is with your team and Im not trying to hurt my buddies but I definitely see what youre saying. Im also aware you cant just flow spar and hard sparring has its place, Coach has been accidentally cut, guys drop from leg kicks, iv given a bloody nose or two so Im no stranger to it but its just the assholes that try to rock you because they feel demoralised that bother me

You have to use the coach as the deciding judge. They aren't going to rebel against the coach and if they do, you're still seen as in the right while the gym loses their respect for him.

One of my teammates was MMA sparring, and high crotched his partner, went slow on the drop since he didn't want to, you know.... turn his partner's head into a smashed watermelon. Guy thought it was normal, and spazzed punched him repeatedly there. 2nd time he dropped him like a sack of potatoes, lol.

For sparring, I always make sure we're on the same page and there was no malice, then if something unusual happens, tell them to chill, if it happens again, its gym war time.

Ill start voicing the intensity before we start now, that way if its war time...its war time.

Funny enough first time I sparred with the competition guys i was trying to use the uchi mata from clinch but didnt want to just rip it, my partner knew what was hapening and just sweeped me hard like meant to show me whats up, both feet in the air hard. Sufficient to say I got back to a clinch hit the uchi mata hard and landed on his ribs. During the rest period he was the only one on all fours taking heavy breaths.Sorry bud

Ill start voicing the intensity before we start now, that way if its war time...its war time.

Funny enough first time I sparred with the competition guys i was trying to use the uchi mata from clinch but didnt want to just rip it, my partner knew what was hapening and just sweeped me hard like meant to show me whats up, both feet in the air hard. Sufficient to say I got back to a clinch hit the uchi mata hard and landed on his ribs. During the rest period he was the only one on all fours taking heavy breaths.Sorry bud

Yep. It's part of the fun.

Maybe try smiling a little bit. It broadcasts that you're being focused and competitive but not going to pussyfoot around.

That way if they get salty, they look like crybabies to everyone including themselves

Yep. It's part of the fun.

Maybe try smiling a little bit. It broadcasts that you're being focused and competitive but not going to pussyfoot around.

That way if they get salty, they look like crybabies to everyone including themselves

Im known for smiling funny enough. Iv talked to guys "nice one" here and there. I try spinning heel kicks to the thigh and just weird shit that trips people out. Im very compos mentis when im sparring and love to get in guys heads. I think thats why being an aggressive counter fighter appeals to me so much. You can see it in a guys face when they start to doubt themselves. Thats usually when the intensity gets upped...I think I finally get why
<mma4>

Im known for smiling funny enough. Iv talked to guys "nice one" here and there. I try spinning heel kicks to the thigh and just weird shit that trips people out. Im very compos mentis when im sparring and love to get in guys heads. I think thats why being an aggressive counter fighter appeals to me so much. You can see it in a guys face when they start to doubt themselves. Thats usually when the intensity gets upped...I think I finally get why
<mma4>
greek-wrestlers-by-jim-mavro-018.jpg

No wonder they upped the intensity

Back