War Room OT Discussion v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's always seemed weird to me that such a mediocre fighter has such intense fans. Lower top-10 guy in a weak division at his best. Even granting that he was fun to watch and had a long run, that's not the profile of someone with a big fanbase, normally.
He had some great finishes and moments in his career. Even though he got smashed a lot he was usually a pretty interesting underdog since before the fight you felt like he always had that chance to find a limb and get the upset which made his fights exciting. Plus he was a UFC heavyweight so for those fans who were unaware or less interested in the JMMA HW scene you always had good ole Frank to spice up the division.

It's always seemed weird to me that such a mediocre fighter has such intense fans. Lower top-10 guy in a weak division at his best. Even granting that he was fun to watch and had a long run, that's not the profile of someone with a big fanbase, normally.

I really don't watch MMA much anymore, but I wouldn't call Mir "mediocre," though. His resume is pretty outstanding. UFC HW Champion. UFC Interim HW Champion. Wins over: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Tim Sylvia, Cro Cop, Roy Nelson, Antonio Silva, Cheick Kongo, and soon Fedor Emelianenko. He certainly has to be a top 20 HW of all-time.

Also, I think his win over Nogueira was flukey, but certainly not his win over Sylvia.

I really don't watch MMA much anymore, but I wouldn't call Mir "mediocre," though. His resume is pretty outstanding. UFC HW Champion. UFC Interim HW Champion. Wins over: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Tim Sylvia, Cro Cop, Roy Nelson, Antonio Silva, Cheick Kongo, and soon Fedor Emelianenko. He certainly has to be a top 20 HW of all-time.

Also, I think his win over Nogueira was flukey, but certainly not his win over Sylvia.
I see fedor walking through mir unless it's trt Mir that fought Lesnar

Fedor lost to Fabio Maldonado. He ain't beating Mir.

And Fedor is easily my favorite fight all-time.
True but he got caught... Mir got caught by carwin.. i see it going either way... i want more to win but i think fedor has this

I wouldn't call it an outstanding resume. Two guys who were top-5 going into the fight, and if you actually watch those fights, they didn't say much. Best actual performance was against Nelson IMO. I'd agree with top 20, but that's 25 years, and he's moving down the list fast (for example, Ngannou is clearly better now than Mir ever was). I'd say that Clay Guida had a better career (both still kind of going, of course) in a better division, and he was also a fun character and fighter, but he doesn't have any really hardcore fans (note that KONE was far from the only crazy Mir fan).

True but he got caught... Mir got caught by carwin.. i see it going either way... i want more to win but i think fedor has this

Mir didn't really get "caught" by Carwin. He got destroyed. And that's the difference here. Fedor these days gets dropped by a stiff wind. He can't afford to get hit at all, while Mir can still take some punishment before being finished.

Coming back after that motorcycle accident was pretty inspirational. I'm not a big fan of Mir, but he does have quite a story, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He never really gets over the big hurdles, and projects himself into superstardom, but he was always...there. He's a legend that didn't seem to have an expiration date. That kind of longevity, combined with the resume he's got, is gonna net you some notoriety and a hefty fan base.

Coming back after that motorcycle accident was pretty inspirational. I'm not a big fan of Mir, but he does have quite a story, and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He never really gets over the big hurdles, and projects himself into superstardom, but he was always...there. He's a legend that didn't seem to have an expiration date. That kind of longevity, combined with the resume he's got, is gonna net you some notoriety and a hefty fan base.

I guess. I should modify, too. It's not so much that he has a *big* fanbase as that he has a smallish number of intense fans. Like, I compared him to Guida earlier (and Leben before, though not, as a certain troll we've been discussing asserted, to some obscure TUFer whose name I don't recall). Guida seems pretty popular in some sense--most people kind of like him--but he doesn't have superfans. But if people are relating to or inspired by Mir's story, that could explain why they get so emotional about him. Secondarily, he had some openly gay fans in the HWs who apparently found him to be very attractive.

I guess. I should modify, too. It's not so much that he has a *big* fanbase as that he has a smallish number of intense fans. Like, I compared him to Guida earlier (and Leben before, though not, as a certain troll we've been discussing asserted, to some obscure TUFer whose name I don't recall). Guida seems pretty popular in some sense--most people kind of like him--but he doesn't have superfans. But if people are relating to or inspired by Mir's story, that could explain why they get so emotional about him. Secondarily, he had some openly gay fans in the HWs who apparently found him to be very attractive.
<5>

meanwhile Bad Lip Reading does a take on Trump's Anthem fail

not their best effort but still brought a chuckle

I think Leben was the only fighter I was a fan of that I'd get triggered when people went after him. That fight he didn't answer the bell I got so pissed at some of the comment people made about him. I can't imagine someone wanting to go to the heavies regularly if that were a typical event to happen to them. Like penn fans, I have no idea why they enjoy that diehard loyalty and anger towards those who question it.

I think Leben was the only fighter I was a fan of that I'd get triggered when people went after him. That fight he didn't answer the bell I got so pissed at some of the comment people made about him. I can't imagine someone wanting to go to the heavies regularly if that were a typical event to happen to them. Like penn fans, I have no idea why they enjoy that diehard loyalty and anger towards those who question it.

The Fedor haters annoyed me. Not because I was a huge fan of Fedor but because the UFC's propaganda campaign caused a huge distortion in the whole understanding of HW MMA. Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Werdum, Hunt, Overeem, and others were allegedly either "rejects who couldn't cut it in the UFC" or people the UFC had no interest in, while people like Kongo, Brock, and Carwin were the next generation of superfighters.

Last edited:
The Fedor haters annoyed me. Not because I was a huge fan of Fedor but because the UFC's propaganda campaign caused a huge distortion in the whole understand of HW MMA. Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Werdum, Hunt, Overeem, and others were allegedly either "rejects who couldn't cut it in the UFC" or people the UFC had no interest in, while people like Kongo, Brock, and Carwin were the next generation of superfighters.

Kongo? Don't know if he ever got that level of praise. Shit, I think Pat Berry got more hype(albeit in a smaller window of time) than Kongo ever did.

Losing to Herring and then later on, Mir, kind of killed any potential big hype Kongo would've ever had. Solid mid-card talent, with gatekeeper hype to match, as far as I see it.

The Fedor haters annoyed me. Not because I was a huge fan of Fedor but because the UFC's propaganda campaign caused a huge distortion in the whole understand of HW MMA. Fedor, Barnett, Arlovski, Werdum, Hunt, Overeem, and others were allegedly either "rejects who couldn't cut it in the UFC" or people the UFC had no interest in, while people like Kongo, Brock, and Carwin were the next generation of superfighters.

I think Affliction put most of that to bed. There was the short period of Carwin/Lesnar but it was very brief and in retrospect, that SF tournament made helped launch DC into the spotlight and that camp in general at HW. I know Kongo was pretty much a #1 contender or #3 guy at the UFC at one point but I never remember people thinking he was the new breed or anything. I think Mir actually was getting more respect than Kongo at the time.

Kongo? Don't know if he ever got that level of praise. Shit, I think Pat Berry got more hype(albeit in a smaller window of time) than Kongo ever did.

Losing to Herring and then later on, Mir, kind of killed any potential big hype Kongo would've ever had. Solid mid-card talent, with gatekeeper hype to match, as far as I see it.

Yea, he had a brief run where he got in the top five but then Herring took him out and people don't even remember the spike.

I think Affliction put most of that to bed. There was the short period of Carwin/Lesnar but it was very brief and in retrospect, that SF tournament made helped launch DC into the spotlight and that camp in general at HW. I know Kongo was pretty much a #1 contender or #3 guy at the UFC at one point but I never remember people thinking he was the new breed or anything. I think Mir actually was getting more respect than Kongo at the time.
vdlqfc.gif

all i could find was spanish (who needs sound anyways)

also remember mir vs duffee damn!

I don't recall him being highly ranked, but in the HWs, I remember people bringing him up as an example of the new breed, while guys like Arlovski, Hunt, Barnett, Werdum, and others who would return to make big splashes were seen as washed up. I remember starting a thread comparing him to Yvel and asking why Kongo was getting so much more hype.

BTW, I used to like rubbing in to Mir superfans that I picked him to destroy Kongo. One guy who accused me of hating and consistently underrating Mir picked Kongo over him. WTF?

Affliction helped start it. People calling Arlovski a UFC reject who was fighting a bum in Rothwell (and then Nelson), two guys who would never cut it in the UFC. "Cut it" was used a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back