International South Africa's Water Crisis: Taps Have Run Dry Across Johannesburg

Luckily I am in Johannesburg - we've had rain. A friend was in the Cape over the holidays and came back with horror stories of mud running from the taps. Restaurants no longer provide tap water.

While the Cape is experiencing the worst drought in recorded history, they're suffering there almost as much because of inadequate planning - at the moment it is unclear if the national (ANC) or provincial (DA) government is primarily to blame for the failure to plan.
I'd bet the ANC, but I think they're shittier than shit, so my judgement is probably not objective.

https://m.news24.com/Analysis/cape-towns-water-crisis-driven-by-politics-more-than-drought-20171214

Provinces don’t have the power to make water allocations to agriculture. This is done by the national government.

In 2015, the city of Cape Town was allocated 60% of the water from the Western Cape’s water supply system. Almost all of the rest went to agriculture, particularly long-term crops like fruit and wine as well as livestock.

The drought began to take its toll on provincial dam levels. Yet the national Department of Water and Sanitation took no action to curtail agricultural water use in 2015/2016.

There is evidence that the department’s failure went even further: that it allocated too much water to agriculture in the Western Cape. This pushed demand for water beyond the capacity of the supply system and consumed Cape Town’s safety buffer of 28 thousand megaliters.

Cape Town shows some of the best water saving levels in the world. But its supply dams are being hit by national government’s bungled water allocations to agriculture.

There was talk a few months back of possibly having to deploy the military in the Cape to enforce water restriction.

The white man being systematically dehydrated itt...

Anyhow, droughts (particularly in the southern hemisphere) are predicted to get worse and more frequent as ocean surface temperatures keep spiking.
No way, bro. Climate change is a hoax.

Just remember these are the ones that will be hit hardest by this. Every day native Boers face persecution and government discrimination. These are the real refugees I am glad Georgia is taking in some. The U.S. should follow suit.

Why would they suffer more than poor people of any race? Is there even an official policy that rations water based on race.

pretty rough time to be in S. Africa or Zimbabwe

well the entirety of Africa tbh, but this water shortage coupled w/ the like 4 major different famines on the continent and they have serious, serious infrastructure and food supply issues

doesn't look like China investing all that money is doing that much to address the major issues already pervasive there

The worrisome bit for me is that if this ocean surface warming is significantly the result of human activity, it's too late to do anything about the next couple decades worth of droughts.

If you look at sea temp rise compared to C02 & the climate over land, it seems to take a longer time for the ocean to catch up to the human impact, so it takes longer to see the effects and longer to wear off after we fix our shit.

The weather is something we might actually be able to grasp "as it's happening" so to speak (we have all experienced the change), but we don't get to see the ocean problems coming as far in advance.

There whole infrastructure in South Africa is jacked and it has a lot to do with the fact South African companies are required by law to hire any black that meets the bare minimum requirements of a job over a white even if the white is much more qualified white.

This and other discrimination against white people has caused issues with their infrastructure and food stocks. If they had equal opportunity hiring they would have been able to deal with this issue before it became a disaster.

All I am saying is if you purposely hire barely or unqualified people over qualified people I don';t have a lot of sympathy when the people you hired can't handle a crisis.

Here is a article about how the government mismanaged the water.
https://www.timeslive.co.za/politic...-crisis-driven-by-politics-more-than-drought/
Cape Town is hurtling towards “Day Zero”: the day taps run dry. This is expected in mid-May, just weeks after the city’s new water supplies are due.

Cape Town is quite used to surviving dry years. Water restrictions get it through and then dams refill, thanks to the wet years that usually follow.

But this time it’s different. Never in recorded history has Cape Town encountered a drought of such severity for three consecutive years.

One of the biggest debates is whether local government is handling the crisis effectively. Investigating this question exposes politics, not rainfall, at the heart of the problem.

The Western Cape is the only province in the country run by the Democratic Alliance, while the African National Congress runs the rest. This means that the relationship between national government and the Western Cape is complicated, as the water crisis
Two tiers of governance – the Western Cape province and the City of Cape Town – went above and beyond what was required to prepare for drought. The system failed, however, at the level of national government.

Wasteful expenditure in the national Department of Water and Sanitation, erroneous water allocations to agriculture and a failure to acknowledge or respond to provincial and municipal calls for help obstructed timely interventions.

National government’s numerous spanners jammed up the works of a system that could have managed the crisis quite effectively.

The Western Cape’s water situation
Six major dams make up 99.6% of the volume of water in the Western Cape Water Supply System.

Cape Town’s strategy for handling droughts is based on a warning system that kicks in when dam levels are lower than normal for a particular time of year. About once every ten years, there is extremely low rainfall around the major Theewaterskloof Dam. The last dam level scare was in 2004-2005.

In 2007, the national Department of Water and Sanitation issued a warning about Cape Town’s water supply, saying the city would need new water sources by 2015.

The deadline was based on normal rainfall and water demand trends. Unusually dry winters and higher water consumption could shorten this deadline considerably.

‘Guilt-free’ Jozi water set for Cape Town
A social experiment to supply “guilt-free” Jozi water to Cape Town could bring at least some relief for the city's water crisis.
NEWS

1 month ago

The city took the warning seriously and acted quickly. It implemented a water demand management strategy involving water meter replacements, pressure management, leak detection and free plumbing repairs for indigent households.

The strategy was so effective that the city met its 2015-2016 water saving target three years early. This pushed the deadline back to 2019, based on normal rainfall and normal water use.

Following a wet 2013-2014, the South African Weather Service estimated that Cape Town’s 2014-2016 rainfall would be only slightly lower than normal, conforming to weather patterns recorded since 1976.

Based on the information available to the city, it was on target for implementing the first water augmentation project by 2019: increasing water supply to the Voëlvlei dam. Then disaster struck: a drought more severe than anything in Cape Town’s history.

Bad decisions
Provinces don’t have the power to make water allocations to agriculture. This is done by the national government.

In 2015, the city of Cape Town was allocated 60% of the water from the Western Cape’s water supply system. Almost all of the rest went to agriculture, particularly long-term crops like fruit and wine as well as livestock.

The drought began to take its toll on provincial dam levels. Yet the national Department of Water and Sanitation took no action to curtail agricultural water use in 2015/2016.

Fewer packing for the coast this holiday season
Coastal city residents will not have as many of their "annoying" northern neighbours to deal with this December as fewer Vaalies are expected to ...
LIFESTYLE

1 month ago

There is evidence that the department’s failure went even further: that it allocated too much water to agriculture in the Western Cape. This pushed demand for water beyond the capacity of the supply system and consumed Cape Town’s safety buffer of 28 thousand megaliters.

Cape Town shows some of the best water saving levels in the world. But its supply dams are being hit by national government’s bungled water allocations to agriculture.

Calls for help
In response to low winter rainfalls in 2015, provincial government took pre-emptive action and applied to national government for R35 million to increase water supplies by drilling boreholes and recycling water.

But national government rejected the request, possibly because dams were still 75% full.

The following year, national government agreed to recognise only five of the 30 Western Cape municipalities as drought disaster areas. (Significantly Cape Town was not included.) But by October 2017, national government had still not released the promised funds.

The Cape Town Mayor appealed directly to the Department of Water and Sanitation for disaster relief funding. But this was rejected on the grounds that Cape Town was “not yet at crisis level”.

The cause of the crisis
The civil society group, South African Water Caucus, reveals that national government’s reluctance to release drought relief funding stemmed from spiralling debt, mismanagement and corruption in the national Department of Water and Sanitation.

This claim is supported by the Auditor General, which attributes “irregular and fruitless and wasteful expenditure” to the department exceeding its 2016-2017 budget by R110.8 million.

Saving water during the drought could kill
As the festive season begins‚ the tragedy of drowning looms over every family hanging out near a body of water and even those storing water in open ...
NEWS

1 month ago

The department has no funding allocated to drought relief in the Western Cape next year. Again, provincial government will have to foot the bill.

Had systems in national government been running smoothly, Cape Town’s water crisis could have been mitigated. Appropriate water allocations would have made more water available to Cape Town. And with timely responses to disaster declarations, water augmentation infrastructure could have been up and running already.

Cape Town teaches us that water crises are rarely a matter of rainfall. Understanding disasters like droughts involves seeing the issue from many different perspectives, including politics.
Alright, that's some good support there. Obviously the water crisis was caused by an unprecedented drought but like you point out that in an of itself does not create a water crisis. I guess it would be hypocritical of me to try and shift blame away from the ANC government and put it squarely on the drought itself given I hold the British colonial government responsible for the severe famines in India, which were triggered by things outside their control(like the drought years for the ANC) but were hugely exacerbated by the political and economic system set in place by the colonizer(like the corruption in the ANC government).

Luckily I am in Johannesburg - we've had rain. A friend was in the Cape over the holidays and came back with horror stories of mud running from the taps. Restaurants no longer provide tap water.

While the Cape is experiencing the worst drought in recorded history, they're suffering there almost as much because of inadequate planning - at the moment it is unclear if the national (ANC) or provincial (DA) government is primarily to blame for the failure to plan.
I'd bet the ANC, but I think they're shittier than shit, so my judgement is probably not objective.

https://m.news24.com/Analysis/cape-towns-water-crisis-driven-by-politics-more-than-drought-20171214

There was talk a few months back of possibly having to deploy the military in the Cape to enforce water restriction.

Thanks for the update from the scene! This is the #1 reason why I love the WR! :cool:

I know it's funny to joke about Mad Max now, but too many people simply didn't realize how vicious and ugly the California Water Wars really was when L.A ran out of water and had to resort to stealing them from the neighboring counties in the Valleys.

When their taps finally runs dry in 3 months time, what are the options available for Cape Town?

Last edited:
Thanks for the update from the scene! This is the #1 reason why I love the WR! :cool:

I know it's funny to joke about Mad Max now, but too many people simply didn't realize how vicious and ugly the California Water Wars really was when L.A ran out of water and had to resort to stealing them from the neighbors.

When their taps finally runs dry in 3 months time, what are the options available for Cape Town?

blame it on no rain, yeah-e yeah

let us know if we should send watert to you.

Leeds scientists working on filter which could make sea water drinkable

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...hich-could-make-sea-water-drinkable-1-8908188

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...hich-could-make-sea-water-drinkable-1-8908188

The £1m project led by G2O Water Technologies to develop new, graphene-based water filters has teamed up with the interdisciplinary team at water@leeds, part of the University of Leeds. G2O Water Technologies, a Manchester-based company has now taken its innovative, patented graphene oxide technology for comprehensive testing and evaluation by the Leeds tream. This collaboration adds further weight to the company’s two Innovate UK-supported projects focused initially on oil/water separation and domestic water filters, totalling almost £2m in research and development expenditure. The ultimate aim is to develop the capability to treat water at a much lower cost and make it more affordable worldwide. G2O will be working with the Public Health Laboratories within the School of Civil Engineering at the university to address real issues relating to water treatment in the water industry, including sieving of molecules or ions, removal of salts, oil, nuclear waste, dyes and other chemicals. A pilot water treatment plant designed to test and develop the graphene water filters is scheduled for operation next year. If successful the filters could mean that all water on the planet could effectively be made drinkable. Tim Harper, chief executive and founder of G2O Water Technologies, said: “We believe we are currently the only company transferring its graphene water filter technology from an R&D laboratory to an industrial setting to prove how it could help solve real-world water problems. “This will involve working directly with water industry experts to understand their challenges in detail and evaluate how our graphene oxide membranes would complement their operations and help deliver what consumers need from their water supply. “Our work with water@leeds, along with having highly-experienced water industry professionals on our advisory board, means we are using the latest science and knowledge to address the right applications for the industry; helping treat water at a much lower cost and making it more affordable worldwide.” Professor Martin Tillotson from the University of Leeds said: “water@leeds is one of the world’s leading interdisciplinary centres looking at various aspects of water treatment and we are happy to share our expertise with G2O. The university is committed to making a real and telling difference to the world around us by supporting industry in developing innovative products, tackling the challenges which society faces.” Professor Tillotson said the joint project would involve developing commercially-viable water filtration membranes derived from G2O’s graphene technology that can be scaled-up for industrial application. The company is also exploring a number of partnerships with major consumer product manufacturers and energy companies in order to accelerate the process of bringing a graphene water filter product to market. G2O’s patented technology works by creating low-cost printed graphene filters or by applying a graphene coating to existing membranes used in water filtration processes. This technique reduces the amount of energy needed to filter the water passing through the membrane by up to 50 per cent, increasing throughput of purified water while combating contamination and lowering the cost.

Read more at: https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...hich-could-make-sea-water-drinkable-1-8908188

I know it's funny to joke about Mad Max now, but too many people simply didn't realize how vicious and ugly the California Water Wars really was when L.A ran out of water and had to resort to stealing them from the neighbors.

Agreed on the value of the WR. We've got a diverse as fuck crowd here and I love it (even if I hate half of the assholes that make up the crowd. hah!)

As for Cape Town's options - they'll have to truck water in and ration it out at distribution points. Picture Soviet breadlines, but for water instead.
They are obviously planning to build desalination plants, and they hope to have a few on line by March (expecting to run out of water in May):
http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/ct-hopes-to-have-3-desalination-plants-running-by-march

Construction at the Monwabisi, Strandfontein and V&A Waterfront desalination projects are currently underway and will be completed within the following two months.

Officials say more money needs to be raised to pay for these projects, as well to maintain the city's water reticulation system and this will be funded by way of a proposed new drought levy, which the city will introduce this year.

The Monwabisi and Strandfontein desalination plants will yield 7 million litres of water per day each.

This, of course, should have been done ages ago. Cape Town is not a stranger to droughts, and with the climate being what it is, it was a ridiculous oversight not to have preparations like this in place.

I do worry about what will happen to Cape Town (our most successful and "first world" city) if/when the water is gone. We're already perpetually teetering on an edge as it is.

One of the big problems in this country (and a contributing factor to this catastrophe) is the corruption and ineptitude of the ANC government.
Not only are they inefficient, but in order to stem their electoral hemorrhaging over the years (and to blame everything on the white man), they've developed a long-standing habit of sabotaging the DA's attempts to effectively run their municipalities - thus fucking us all over, just so that they can continue to empty the country's coffers.

On the bright side, the ANC finally came under better leadership toward the end of last year. Bit late, as far as this disaster goes.

Never a better time than now for everyone to fuck like rabbits and breed, non stop, multiplying the water powered carbon factories as quickly as possible. That should take care of that pesky climate problem.

Wonder if cloud seeding would be a temp solution? They do this in the Gulf, though in the Gulf they get most of their potable water from desalination plants.

If massive solar farms don't cut it, they might be better off building small nuclear power stations, to power desalination plants. Importing coal or NG or Crude oil seems like such a waste of money .

As for Cape Town's options - they'll have to truck water in and ration it out at distribution points. Picture Soviet breadlines, but for water instead.

They are obviously planning to build desalination plants, and they hope to have a few on line by March (expecting to run out of water in May):
http://ewn.co.za/2018/01/10/ct-hopes-to-have-3-desalination-plants-running-by-march

Important stat from the article:

The Monwabisi and Strandfontein desalination plants will yield 7 million litres of water per day each.

These two units will come online by the end of February.

The V&A Waterfront's temporary desalination plant will generate 2 million litres of water daily from March.

So, the three desalination plants that they're hoping to bring online will be collectively producing a grand total of 16 million liters of water a day. :oops:

Cape Town's current, pre-ration water consumption rate is 600 million liters a day. :eek:

That Soviet-esque waterlines around the water trucks under the watchful eyes of the armed police and soldiers gonna be glorious on the nightly news.

Last edited:
Canada’s lakes, rivers, streams and wetlands, hold 20 per cent of the world’s freshwater.
burns-excellent-gif-9.gif

Important stat from the article:

So, the three desalination plants that they're hoping to bring online will be collectively producing a grand total of 16 million liters of water a day. :oops:

Cape Town's current water consumption is well over 600 million liters a day. :eek:

That Soviet-esque waterlines around the water trucks gonna be glorious.

There are other plans in motion:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...6bn-due-to-reduced-water-consumption-20180109

With dam levels at an average of 29% of capacity, drilling equipment will start arriving this week to extract water from aquifers on the Cape Flats and the Table Mountain aquifers, in addition to extraction already underway in Atlantis on the West Coast.

This followed surveys of the areas last year which confirmed availability of water there.

The Cape Flats aquifer is expected to produce an extra 80 million litres per day, the Table Mountain aquifer, 40 million litres per day, and Atlantis, about 30 million litres per day.

So, that's another 150 million liters. Not as much as necessary, but with water restrictions, it might hold off absolute chaos for a few more months.
Cape Town's lucky they've got the mayor they've got. They're in the shit either way, but de Lille is competent, energetic and dedicated.

Last edited:
Canada’s lakes, rivers, streams and wetlands, hold 20 per cent of the world’s freshwater.
burns-excellent-gif-9.gif

If a Trudeau is in power when the invasion happens, I'd say Operation Glacial Storms will achieve its objective under a week.

Ofcourse, that also contingent on the Canadians adhering to the Geneva Conventions and refrain from using cruel and inhumane Bieber-based sonic weapons as a last-ditch defense.

Why would they suffer more than poor people of any race? Is there even an official policy that rations water based on race.

Whites are not allowed access to most charities and many government welfare programs. The boers are the most discriminated people in South Africa. There is a huge divide between them and the British whites.

Back