International South Africa's Water Crisis: Taps Have Run Dry Across Johannesburg

We face similar issues here, but the problem was as much the tragedy of the commons and federal inaction as mismanagement (specifically the failure to manage water use from the Murray-Darling Basin up until 2008).
They did at least build the desalination plant back in 2013 at a cost of 1.8 Billion AUD.

Whites are not allowed access to most charities and many government welfare programs. The boers are the most discriminated people in South Africa. There is a huge divide between them and the British whites.

That's a YT video.. YT videos claim all manner of things.

There still is a Whites only town in SA. Haven't read anything in the news of SA having Black instituted Apartheid.

There are other plans in motion:
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...6bn-due-to-reduced-water-consumption-20180109

So, that's another 150 million liters. Not as much as necessary, but with water restrictions, it might hold off absolute chaos for a few more months.
Cape Town's lucky they've got the mayor they've got. They're in the shit either way, but de Lille is competent, energetic and dedicated.

All these new information are fascinating to me (as you may already noticed from other threads, I'm far more interested in important world events rather than the stale partisan shit overwhelming the WR). I'll have to do some research later to see the dynamics between the national/regional governments in S.A, and why Cape Town chose to have multiple Mickey Mouse desalination plants than can barely handle a few neighborhoods rather than one big efficient plant that would cost the same to build and provide the same output as all three combined, and save on operation/overhead/labor costs.

Last edited:
Don't believe it. It was cold as shit where I live this week.

All these new information are fascinating to me (as you may already noticed from other threads, I'm far more interested in important world events rather than the stale partisan shit overwhelming the WR). I'll have to do some research later to see the dynamics between the national/regional governments in S.A and why Cape Town chose to have multiple Mickey Mouse desalination plants than can barely handle a few neighborhoods rather than one big efficient plant.

It's refreshing to see an American war roomer who's interested in events that do not revolve around American partisanship. The world's a big place, and there's a lot of interesting shit happening in it, all the time.

Just to help get you started:
http://ewn.co.za/2017/11/21/expert-lobbies-for-mega-desalination-plant-in-cape-town

Budgetary concerns is the excuse for not going big on a desalination plant.
Our economy has taken hit after hit since Zuma came to power, and being downgraded to junk status last year (plus our ongoing state capture scandals) certainly did not help. The problem of course, is that Cape Town's economy is kind of dependent on water (duh).

And on the topic of the DA vs the ANC - the Democratic Alliance is seen by some as the spiritual successor to the National Party (which was the apartheid party). The ANC presents them as such because it is the only argument they can make in their own favour, even though the DA's leader is a black man and their former leader, while a white woman, was integral to the struggle against apartheid.

In reality, the dynamic between the DA and the ANC is really more about "poor vs middle class" than it is about "black vs white". The ANC hands out largesse once every four years to woe township residents who can barely afford to feed themselves.
The DA fairly reliably has the suburban vote, and has spent most of the last twenty-odd years trying to prove to the poor that they're not just "the white party" and that they don't want to bring back apartheid.

The DA's greatest ally in proving this, ironically, is the ANC. Largely because the ANC has gradually proven to more and more of even their most uneducated voters, that they are not capable of successfully running a country and that if they're guaranteed to win the vote, then they have no real motivation to ever improve. Being the "struggle party" does not carry the same weight as it once did.

The DA has earned a greater share of votes (to the ANC's detriment) in every general election since the 1994 arrival of democracy. And every election cycle, the ANC loses a greater share of the vote than they did in the previous. In 2014, they finally lost their 2/3 parliamentary majority, and during last year's municipal elections, they lost the largest and wealthiest municipalities (Johannesburg, Tshwane and Nelson Mandela Bay) to an unexpected alliance between the DA and the EFF (Economic Freedom Fighters: who are scary, land-grabbing communists).

You may have noticed, but I am happy to take almost any excuse to waffle on about my country.

Although not the best for the environment, is it time to build desalination plants?

Sydney has one which runs on renewable. We have never turned it on.

I've thought the mark of a good politician is not building desalination plants but plants that reuse waste water.

It's about 1/4 the energy used and under half the cost.

Tough sell but it's indisputable which is better for the country.

Wonder if cloud seeding would be a temp solution? They do this in the Gulf, though in the Gulf they get most of their potable water from desalination plants.

If massive solar farms don't cut it, they might be better off building small nuclear power stations, to power desalination plants. Importing coal or NG or Crude oil seems like such a waste of money .

Solar and wind are perfect for desalination plants.
When the Power is cranking great, when it's not stop pumping. The end result is effectively the stored energy.

It gets marginal benefit from the stable nature of Fossil or nuke, thus no where near worth the much higher costs.

We face similar issues here, but the problem was as much the tragedy of the commons and federal inaction as mismanagement (specifically the failure to manage water use from the Murray-Darling Basin up until 2008).
They did at least build the desalination plant back in 2013 at a cost of 1.8 Billion AUD.

Investment tip.
D2o.asx

Not for the returns now but long term.

I've thought the mark of a good politician is not building desalination plants but plants that reuse waste water.

We have recycled water in Adelaide as well, but if you've ever been caught by the parklands sprinkler systems that use it, you'd know it's not all good.

We have recycled water in Adelaide as well, but if you've ever been caught by the parklands sprinkler systems that use it, you'd know it's not all good.

As discussed in the California water thread, my county actually showed you guys how to recycle your water cheaply, cleanly, and efficiently!

The technology/techniques we shared with Australia would produce water that are actually 100% ultra-pure and perfectly drinkable though, so I don't know what happen when you guys built your water-recycling plants that makes it only suitable to water the grass. o_O

Last edited:
If a Trudeau is in power when the invasion happens, I'd say Operation Glacial Storms will achieve its objective under a week.

Ofcourse, that also contingent on the Canadians adhering to the Geneva Conventions and refrain from using cruel and inhumane Bieber-based sonic weapons as a last-ditch defense.

If they kills us, we win

As discussed in the California water thread, my county actually showed you guys how to recycle your water!

The technology we shared with you would produce water that are actually 100% pure and perfectly drinkable though, so I don't know what happen when you built your plants. o_O

So you're saying that if you get hosed with your recycled water, you don't end up smelling like you've been sprayed with urine by a randy wombat? Strange...

As discussed in the California water thread, my county actually showed you guys how to recycle your water cheaply, cleanly, and efficiently!

The technology we shared with Australia would produce water that are actually 100% ultra-pure and perfectly drinkable though, so I don't know what happen when you guys built your water-recycling plants that makes it only suitable to water the grass. o_O

We have both.

I think rupe was referring to treated storm water. IE from streets, gutters etc.
It is vastly cheaper and if a litre of treated but undrinkable watet replaces a litre of drinkable water it effectively made a litre of drinkable water.

I thought all of their troubles would be resolved once the apartheid was abolished. South Africa is well on its way to be the next Zimbabwe from the looks of it.

Back