Which fighter ever could win slugfest with Hagler?

Hagler, isn't knocking out Light Heavy weight Chavez Jr and Chavez Jr isn't backing up from a inside fight with Marvin either, no way in hell Chavez Jr, backs up against Hagler, from a inside toe to toe fight.
Chavez gets murdered at any weight. Hed get put to sleep badly.

Blown up LW Duran and ATG Antefuermo could do,it, but obviously it’s beyond the realm of possibility that Hopkins or GGG could.

Hopkins, doesn't hit hard enough, to even bother Marvin. He's not that type of fighter, B, Hope, is more of a counter puncher and not a boxer, power puncher. Although Hopkins has power, it isn't Gerald, or Julian Jackson power, at all. Haglers constant work rate and non stop aggression, bothers Hopkins and also a great jab, gives Hopkins lots of trouble, remember the Jermaine Taylor fight, that jab, gave Hopkins, lots of trouble.

Hopkins, doesn't hit hard enough, to even bother Marvin. He's not that type of fighter, B, Hope, is more of a counter puncher and not a boxer, power puncher. Although Hopkins has power, it isn't Gerald, or Julian Jackson power, at all. Haglers constant work rate and non stop aggression, bothers Hopkins and also a great jab, gives Hopkins lots of trouble, remember the Jermaine Taylor fight, that jab, gave Hopkins, lots of trouble.
Who do you favor between Toney and Hagler?

Last edited:

Toney at super middle weight, but Hagler beats Toney at middle weight, Hagler, just out works James, at middle weight. Because James worse weight class, was at middle weight, and that's why he looked so weak and sluggish against less talented boxers. He caught Michael Numm, in 12, but a stronger, Toney, catches Nunn early, maybe round 5.

Just watch James Toney"s, fights at middle weight, after he won the title and you will see what I mean, he's simply has no legs at middle weight, when he moved up to super middle weight and light heavy weight he was way stronger, because James Toney was a 200 pound quarter back in high school. Toney has always been a big guy, he's just naturally a big person. That's why he felt so comfortably at heavy weight, because he's just naturally big and strong, for his size, kinda like Mike Tyson. Tyson is 5, ft 10, or 11, but, strong and has the strength of a super heavy weight fighter.

James Toney loses to Hagler at middle weight, Hagler is to busy for Toney and James can't ko Hagler, because Haglers chin is to good and Marvin just keeps coming and wearing James down, but he can't stop Toney either, Hagler on points.

Super middle weight, James Toney Unanimous D, but Hagler still chases Toney around the ring, but Toney wobbles, Hagler a couple of times, but can't stop him, and Toney"s hand speed and counter punches are just to much for Hagler, to deal with.

The more I think about this the more I like Golovkin to do it.

ATG fight. He excels in a phonebooth nearly as much as Hagler, and he welcomes the big drama show.

Chavez gets murdered at any weight. Hed get put to sleep badly.

This, I don’t see any way for Chavez to win this. The more interesting fight would had been a prime top notch Gerald

The more I think about this the more I like Golovkin to do it.

ATG fight. He excels in a phonebooth nearly as much as Hagler, and he welcomes the big drama show.
Hagler is more versatile. No one dimensional walk forward fighter is beating Hagler.

Hagler is more versatile. No one dimensional walk forward fighter is beating Hagler.
Thats selling Golovkin short quite a bit imo.

And this was about a “slugfest”. There arent a lot of people that can beat Golovkin like that, and I dont think anyone could embarrass him.

Thats selling Golovkin short quite a bit imo.

And this was about a “slugfest”. There arent a lot of people that can beat Golovkin like that, and I dont think anyone could embarrass him.
He looked pretty one dimensional against Canelo, IMO. Failed to adjust at all.

He looked pretty one dimensional against Canelo, IMO. Failed to adjust at all.
And Hagler got boxed up by Monroe.

Hagler wasnt an unbeatable juggernaut like hes being made out itt. He had a lot of “hot and cold” performances.

Hagler wasnt an unbeatable juggernaut like hes being made out itt. He had a lot of “hot and cold” performances.
Monroe and Golovkin are miles removed stylistically. Show me someone that beat Hagler like Golovkin beats people.

Monroe and Golovkin are miles removed stylistically. Show me someone that beat Hagler like Golovkin beats people.
You knocked Golovkin for a one dimensional performance. Pretty fair comparison imo. Not to mention Golovkin doing such at an older age.

The same works conversley, show me someone that beat Golovkin like Hagler beats people.

He didn't like taller guys that could box (Seales, Watts, Monroe). But it's also a matter of maturity. The version of Hagler that first set foot in Philly was still raw. He was used to beating up lesser guys in New England but the Philly fights made him the machine he became. Entering his prime he ended up utterly destroying those who once caused him trouble.

Probably should have gone to Hagler, but for anyone who thinks Hagler never had to back up in a fight..;

Mike Katz said something very interesting before the Hagler/Leonard fight, he said that ever since the first antuofermo fight, everyone thought the way to beat hagler was to charge him, it wasn't. Hagler was a thrashing machine, when you came at him, he just tore your asshole out. Some of his defenses he backed up a lot and still tore the guy apart, I think he did that in the Scypion fight. Anyway, Katz said Haglers balance was bad, he was right, you make him come forward and it's a weakness for him, he keeps his feet a bit too close together and if you see him use body movement, you can see he just doesn't have the best balance in the world, his point was, leonard would make him come forward and exploit this weakness and that's pretty much what happened.

even with the balance problem, he's a near perfect fighter, one of the great chins, one of the great strategic minds, ambidextrous, heavy handed, could do a little of everything, infight, box. His other weaknesses were, he did cut and he also was, as emanuel steward once said "too intense" which is a good thing most of the time but it's a bad thing when a guy like leonard comes along and gets in your head, ali made a career doing that to those kinds of fighters. Don Turner said that Leonard beat Hagler mentally, i always believed this. Hagler wasn't acting like Hagler, of course, I think he just wasn't as hungry anymore either which was what Leonard counted on.

You knocked Golovkin for a one dimensional performance. Pretty fair comparison imo. Not to mention Golovkin doing such at an older age.

The same works conversley, show me someone that beat Golovkin like Hagler beats people.
You think Monroe and Golovkin are a stylistic match? Come on.

Back