Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to in fans over?

3:50

It's his own fault. His personality is shit, everything is race this race that. Plays the victim repeatedly. Has had various shitty boring fights. Personally, I agree with you on the staying active part but not the fighting in the division, because he was fired to. He kept trying to fight out of his division. There's plenty of other fighters I'd rather see.

I'm just an angry old bitter GSP fan who finds the standard Tyron is held too compared to what GSP was, and is held to, a joke.

Nobody accepts that GSP's opponents shell up and do nothing, but excuse Tyron's defensive fights via his opponent's abilities.
Sherdoggers to this day call GSP a lay and prayer, while having more passes and sub attempts in his title run than Tyron's entire career totals.
Who has ever excused GSP's fights with "at least he defends"? I wish I was clever enough to call GSP haters racist.

As for being respected like Lawler and Condit, good luck. Those guys don't have the respect they do because of their win count. They fight and conduct themselves with honor, for the most part.

Tyron on the other hand won't take a strong position when he talks. People say he plays the race card, but he rarely does, what he did do was indirectly play it for a reader/veiwer to determine themselves. He has mostly dropped that. He used similar tactics on the Rogan show trying to create sympathy and Rogan would call him out for it, and Tyron would quickly deny doing it. I'm not saying he's an awful person, he's difficult to talk to imo. I would be frustrated talking to a person like this and don't really enjoy listening to him. He seems to be posturing and selling himself way too much. He wants to be loved but won't admit it.

As a fighter, he's fine. He's boring, but he's fine. It's a problem, another set of techniques for someone to solve. If you're a poster who goes around calling fighters boring, don't pretend Tyron is something else.

I'd have to say this about sums it up.

I listened to his interview on JRE last night.

As far as his last few fight being boring, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. Thompson (x2) and Maia are stylistically shitty matches for most people.

Personally I hugely respect that he defended against the number 1 contenders in his division. I really want to be a fan of the guy, but he does make it kind of difficult at times. I hope he continues to fight top contenders, because he's still quite a ways from cleaning out the division. Then if he tones down on the victim rhetoric, I could see myself being a big fan.

Rogan touched on some interesting points with him. One being on Mccgregor and money. I don't know what the exact quote was, but Rogan basically said that Conor is a special case, and just because others try to act/deal like Conor does, doesn't mean they're going to make the money Conor does. Tyron also started to imply about being upset about what GSP gets paid, but Rogan quickly jumped in and said, but GSP didn't start making the kind of money he does now, he built up to it.

This is what I would like to see from Woodley myself. Continue to clean out the division like GSP did, and the money could possibly come, providing Woodley can establish the fan base. I think the fan base would be there for a dominant champion defending against top contenders, providing he doesn't alienate himself from said fans with constant complaints of victimization.

Tyron Woodley has all the tools to be truly great. He's got the ability in the cage, he's got the confidence and belief in himself. If he keeps winning and defending, plays it cool in his interviews, the fans, then the money will be there.

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

WHAT THE FUK DOES THAT NEEDY SOB WANT...........?

People to put him on a pedestal and worship him.

Fuk Him...Fuk Conor... Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezus .. The Man is a Fighter and a UFC Champ.............. BIG FUKN DEAL.

Tyron has serious daddy issues. He needs to be reaffirming himself at every second.

Dude needs to therapy ASAP

Woodley is responsible for the three worst title defenses in UFC history. There is no other champion that has ever had three consecutive shit shows.

He cannot headline a card because people do not want to see him fight. If Woodley would take on the up and coming challengers and bang a little his popularity would grow.

Its pretty simple. Most fans want to see exciting fights and Woodley of late has not given them that. You don't become a fan favorite by playing it safe in each fight, even if its the smart way to win.

Listening to Rogan and Tyron right now and almost done. I wana like Tyron a lot but honestly he has a victim mentality all the time. Great fighter though.

It's his own fault. His personality is shit, everything is race this race that. Plays the victim repeatedly. Has had various shitty boring fights. Personally, I agree with you on the staying active part but not the fighting in the division, because he was fired to. He kept trying to fight out of his division. There's plenty of other fighters I'd rather see.

Everything is race this, race that?

Take a look at literally ANY Tyron thread, and see how many racist comments are left, ranging from subtle to not so subtle.

Try being objective for once, and see how much hate he gets on this board, most of it centering around his skin color.

Woodley is a double threat.

Piss poor personality + boring fighter = meh.

He sounds like a 14 yo boy with his first g/f. "You don't love me as much as you love him"

Grow and sack and get some emotional confidence. Stop looking for outside validation

I listened to his interview on JRE last night.

As far as his last few fight being boring, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there. Thompson (x2) and Maia are stylistically shitty matches for most people.

Personally I hugely respect that he defended against the number 1 contenders in his division. I really want to be a fan of the guy, but he does make it kind of difficult at times. I hope he continues to fight top contenders, because he's still quite a ways from cleaning out the division. Then if he tones down on the victim rhetoric, I could see myself being a big fan.

Rogan touched on some interesting points with him. One being on Mccgregor and money. I don't know what the exact quote was, but Rogan basically said that Conor is a special case, and just because others try to act/deal like Conor does, doesn't mean they're going to make the money Conor does. Tyron also started to imply about being upset about what GSP gets paid, but Rogan quickly jumped in and said, but GSP didn't start making the kind of money he does now, he built up to it.

This is what I would like to see from Woodley myself. Continue to clean out the division like GSP did, and the money could possibly come, providing Woodley can establish the fan base. I think the fan base would be there for a dominant champion defending against top contenders, providing he doesn't alienate himself from said fans with constant complaints of victimization.

Tyron Woodley has all the tools to be truly great. He's got the ability in the cage, he's got the confidence and belief in himself. If he keeps winning and defending, plays it cool in his interviews, the fans, then the money will be there.

His false sense of entitlement is what has lead him to whine about not making GSP money, without realizing the amount of work/years on top/title defenses and the fact that he had a whole fucking nation behind him...Canadian MMA was all GSP. Everyone and their mothers would buy his fight, thus creating revenue for the UFC and GSP.

Tyron is his own worse enemy and he is too stupid and shortsighted to see it.

It´s like getting pissed at people for not laughing at your jokes.

Tyron, you´re good at fighting and no one doubts that, but you don´t have "it"

I like and respect Twood, he's one of my favorite fighters

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

I respect the basic fact that he's the Champion.

The part I find funny af is that the best part of that video is the very last 2 seconds.

It's hard to respect him as a person more because he's an intelligent guy who chose to heavily play the race card because he thought creating controversy like Connie does would earn him bank.

The fact that he has been in a few ridiculously boring fights isn't going to endear him, either. Still can't believe he and Maia broke the record for least strikes thrown.

My two cents

I watched the whole interview and Woodley has some valid points, but, also, he is wrong.

Yes, he does not get the respect for being a champion. From the fans, even from the UFC. This is obvious!
It is his fault, but also it's UFC's fault and his opponents fault. Dana White said some things after the Maia fight that a president shouldn't say. Yes, the people have their right to boo the fighters (it's legal, they bought tickets) but you just don't say those things as a president, for fuck's sake. People blame him for being a boring champion. And they are somewhat right. He is not Lawler, no Condit. People like brawlers, they like just bleed fighters. No mistery here. Woodley is a fighter that fights smart and safe, he waits for his opponent to make a mistake and uses his punching explosive power. Still, very few blamed Maia in that fight. Maia was also to blame, same as Woodley. Maia didn't risk it, he just tried the same thing over and over. Very few blamed Wonderboy, who is known for his karate point fighting also. Yes, he was the aggressor, but still... he knew how Woodley will fight.

What I think it's stupid of him is that race card. You say shit about Wonderboy being priviledged to fight for the title, after he had 7 wins in a row (4 KOs, 3 UD), but you forget that you only had 2 wins in a row (and that split decision against Gastelum was shady as fuck) to get a title shot.

But yes, he deserves respect for really defending his belt, unlike others. And he defended against the top fighters.

Back