Tyron Woodley - "I'm not respected by the people for being a Champion."

I'm just an angry old bitter GSP fan who finds the standard Tyron is held too compared to what GSP was, and is held to, a joke.

Nobody accepts that GSP's opponents shell up and do nothing, but excuse Tyron's defensive fights via his opponent's abilities.
Sherdoggers to this day call GSP a lay and prayer, while having more passes and sub attempts in his title run than Tyron's entire career totals.
Who has ever excused GSP's fights with "at least he defends"? I wish I was clever enough to call GSP haters racist.

As for being respected like Lawler and Condit, good luck. Those guys don't have the respect they do because of their win count. They fight and conduct themselves with honor, for the most part.

Tyron on the other hand won't take a strong position when he talks. People say he plays the race card, but he rarely does, what he did do was indirectly play it for a reader/veiwer to determine themselves. He has mostly dropped that. He used similar tactics on the Rogan show trying to create sympathy and Rogan would call him out for it, and Tyron would quickly deny doing it. I'm not saying he's an awful person, he's difficult to talk to imo. I would be frustrated talking to a person like this and don't really enjoy listening to him. He seems to be posturing and selling himself way too much. He wants to be loved but won't admit it.

As a fighter, he's fine. He's boring, but he's fine. It's a problem, another set of techniques for someone to solve. If you're a poster who goes around calling fighters boring, don't pretend Tyron is something else.
Yup ur right

WTF does that even mean???? It's not a game of tag, it's a fight. Both dudes are supposed to fight for and win the belt. He's not supposed to just show up and hang back on the cage for 25 minutes and prevent the other guy from taking him out.

He is supposed to dispose of challengers, that is how you gain respect as a champion.

Are you unfamiliar with one of the oldest and common phrases in fighting history or are you just being an ass to that guy?

Everything is race this, race that?

Take a look at literally ANY Tyron thread, and see how many racist comments are left, ranging from subtle to not so subtle.

Try being objective for once, and see how much hate he gets on this board, most of it centering around his skin color.

Tyron is a racist hypocrite if I ever saw one. Says the UFC doesn't promote him because he's...Well you know.

Yet right now, as we speak, the UFC is pushing and promoting the living fuck out of Ngannou to beat Miocic.

*GASP!!!* The white guy is being setup for the fall against a black guy by the UFC!!!???How is this possible!?!?!<Ellaria01>

Because Stipe and Woodley share a similar issue...And it has NOTHING to do with the color of their skin. Both have shit personality and self promotional skills. Yet if you ask Tyron and his legion of SJWs, it's all melanin related.

<GOT4>

In a nutshell... it's because he's boring and plays the race card.

He's not a dominant champ. Arguably lost a fight to Wonderboy. Lacks charisma.

Tyrone would probably get more hespect if he ducked #1 contenders and routinely pissed hot

I consider him one of the greatest WW's that ever stepped inside the octagon, honestly.

I don't think he's responsible for the boring title-fights. The challengers are supposed to GET the belt, the champion is just supposed to keep it.
And that the Maia fight wasn't gonna be a slugfest was pretty clear.

I respect him for taking every fight and fighting every top contender.

With you on this.

3rd best welterweight of all time imo.

He is every bit as “exciting” as GSP was throughout his dominant reign. He gets hate for his performances against Wonderboy and Maia, styles make fights and it takes two to tango. Remember, Wonderboy has cut through everyone else and Maia has form for making opponents fight conservatively (Silva anyone?).

Once he gets a decent matchup and finished another fight, people will be back on his dick and rightly so.

I respect Woodley as a fighter, but not as a champion. He probably should have lost the decision in the Thompson rematch, and he repeatedly cheated to beat Maia. He hasn't had a clear cut win in a year and a half. That's a paper champion, in my eyes.

He reminds of of Adrian Broner

he has 4 first round finishes in the UFC alone.

sure he fights safe sometimes but lots of other champs have too - Silva vs Maia, arguably GSP vs lots of people etc etc

well "sometimes" is like the last 75 minutes. at some point people just stop caring.

I respect Tyron’s fighting ability and the obvious hard training he does to fight.
I don’t respect anyone who demands a title shot he doesn’t necessarily deserved, sits out crying racism until he gets said title shot, mouths off about other fighters not deserving title shots and then tries to defend his title against Nate Diaz.
Then he spends all of his time telling people how much respect he deserves(crying racism if he doesn’t get it) instead of just...you know...earning their respect

Last edited:
He is every bit as “exciting” as GSP was throughout his dominant reign.

Unless your Georges St Pierre

And I'm triggered.

Tyron/Maia recently set a record for least strikes thrown in a 5 round fight. And according to fight metric, that's Tyron's 3rd highest amount of significant strikes landed in his career.

GSP pressured guys and moved forward. You can argue his style isn't great for finishing, you can say he's a weak grappler or striker, there are a lot of complaints you can make of GSP, but to pretend "Rush" and Tyron fight similarly, means you're not paying attention.

GSP put fighters into defensive shells. Tyron fights from a defensive shell and is a counter fighter.

Posts like this is why you'll find me in Woodley threads.

It's not that he isn't interesting. It's because he's an idiot.

And I'm triggered.

Tyron/Maia recently set a record for least strikes thrown in a 5 round fight. And according to fight metric, that's Tyron's 3rd highest amount of significant strikes landed in his career.

GSP pressured guys and moved forward. You can argue his style isn't great for finishing, you can say he's a weak grappler or striker, there are a lot of complaints you can make of GSP, but to pretend "Rush" and Tyron fight similarly, means you're not paying attention.

GSP put fighters into defensive shells. Tyron fights from a defensive shell and is a counter fighter.

Posts like this is why you'll find me in Woodley threads.

“Rush” died with Matt Serra’s KO finish.

The irony in GSP being called “Rush” - when he was never in a rush to finish.

GSP frustrates me because he was so many levels ahead of guys, you get the feeling he just coasted. I understand he is a phenomenal fighter, probably the best of all time in MMA for me, but he leaves a sour taste as I get the sense he had two or three gears more yet was content to ride out a UD.

“Rush” died with Matt Serra’s KO finish.

The irony in GSP being called “Rush” - when he was never in a rush to finish.

GSP frustrates me because he was so many levels ahead of guys, you get the feeling he just coasted. I understand he is a phenomenal fighter, probably the best of all time in MMA for me, but he leaves a sour taste as I get the sense he had two or three gears more yet was content to ride out a UD.

He was so many levels above his opponents, that's why majority of his opponent's sole plan was to survive to the bell. You guys should be upset with his opponents not trying hard enough. GSP was the aggressor and out worked every single fighter he's come across, but that's not enough. Such horseshit imo.

You saw what happened when a fighter fights to win vs. GSP. They get fucked up like Fitch or Condit.

And you see guys who don't want to be embarrassed and hurt like Hardy, Diaz and Kos.

GSP overwhelms opponents. His last two finishes at WW came from exactly that. Just swarming his opponent with offense. The guys at the top had the skill and toughness to endure and survive it. Weaker men would have been slaughtered.

I kinda get what he's saying here, as I do think most fans LIKE fighters such as Lawler and Condit more.

But I'm not entirely convinced that it's because they don't 'respect' Woodley.

I think it's more that many fans just don't find him all that interesting as a Champion, both inside and outside the cage. He hasn't exactly been in Barn-burner types of title defenses, despite being successful.

Personally, even though I'm not a big fan, I DO respect that at least TWood remains an active champ who fights the top guys in his division, in an era where that increasingly seems to be becoming the exception, and not the rule.

What say you Sherdoggers? Does he have a point? And if so, what can he do to win fans over?

3:50

He can stop complaining that everybody is racist. He could pull the trigger a lil bit more and stop being so tentative.

Tyrone. I can explain this. You strike me as a guy who cares about what the public thinks so here’s why you’re not getting respected. 1. Earning the shot:Your number 1 contender fight was a razor close split decision win over Gas who probably floors you know. You then sat on the shelf for over 18 months waiting for a shot. Albeit Hendricks cost you a fight but still there was obviously a lack of desire to keep fighting to earn the shot. You waited. And now you are telling other top contenders to wait instead of being active. 2. Lack of definitive wins: You barely beat Thompson once and many fans believe you lost both bouts. How can anyone think you’re undisputed while barely beating another top WW? The Maia fight sucked and yes you destroyed Lawler but that’s your only really exciting fight in 3 years. 3. You are ducking RDA 4. You have unavenged losses vs Rory, Nate and Jake. The fact Roryis still competing and he dominated you is why many people don’t believe you’re the true champ. Rory is a better more complete fighter than you Wood. And finally, you haven’t beat GSP. GROW UP PHONEY CHAMP

Woodley's problem is he acts like a troll and gets treated like a troll. His social skills are horrible. He is totally clueless on how to deal with criticism. It looks as if he'll never figure this out and never change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back