170 is the one division where the UFC champ might not be the best fighter

Agreed. Woodley is not the top of the UFC WW.

You never know, at least Tyron is defending and fighting contenders so we can find out, unlike most other champs.
I guess we needed another anti Tyron thread on the front page.

Middleweight

GSP is the real MW Champ, and it's questionable that he could beat half of the next Top 10

Rockhold
Whittaker
Mousasi
Romero
Jacare
Weidman
Gastelum
Bisping
Anderson
Brunson

It's overall wins, not just X guy beat Y once years ago.

Woodley has better wins and has improved the most since their fight.

How exactly has he improved?

He still backs himself up against the cage and explodes into a TD or counter right the same he tried with Rory.

Good TDD and non committal strikes and solid boxing is what it takes to beat him. Which is why he struggled so much with WB. He let him back himself up then peppered him with non committal strikes that he couldn't just easily counter.

Rory would beat him again with the same gameplan bc he is the same fighter he was back then. Very little improvement just good match making is all that makes him look improved.

He still backs himself up against the cage and explodes into a TD or counter right the same he tried with Rory.

Good TDD and non committal strikes and solid boxing is what it takes to beat him. Which is why he struggled so much with WB. He let him back himself up then peppered him with non committal strikes that he couldn't just easily counter.

Rory would beat him again with the same gameplan bc he is the same fighter he was back then. Very little improvement just good match making is all that makes him look improved.

Oh please lol. If it was that simple Wonderboy would have just done the same.

Yeah bc that's the only part of the fight that is relevant lol

The finishing part? It's usually pretty relevant.

Didn't realize this was such a radical opinion.

Not his fault, but Woodley has some questions around his status as the best 170 pounder in the world that I don't think any of the other UFC champions have. Both Ben Askren, undefeated and a higher level wrestler, and Rory McDonald, a former top talent who beat Woodley, could make their claims as being better than anyone else with some plausibility. And of course there is the shadow of GSP looming over the division as well.
that is the one division where the champion is probably not the best nor has he even attempted to fight any top contenders.
185 had the same stigma but bisping is gone

Never been able to get an answer to that.

Tyron has arguably the worst win against Maia, changes nothing tactically, is 35 and somehow is more improved than a 28 year old Rory with time off. Nobody ever has handled Paul Daley like Rory did.

It's just shit thrown, and they are hoping it sticks.

Oh please lol. If it was that simple Wonderboy would have just done the same.

WB doesn't have solid boxing defense or good enough TDD. Rory has a variety of blocks stiff arming and framing, mummying, Philly shell, and several others that he used against Woodley. Along with Rorys solid wrestling.

Please tell me how he has improved.

135 as well. I don't think TJ is the best bantamweight in the world. Rivera and Cruz can take his belt.

LMAO.

Woodley is by far the best WW in the UFC right now. Who can beat him? Covington? Till? <Lmaoo>
I doubt RDA can, either.

Even GSP didn't want no part of Woodley.

Never been able to get an answer to that.

Tyron has arguably the worst win against Maia, changes nothing tactically, is 35 and somehow is more improved than a 28 year old Rory with time off. Nobody ever has handled Paul Daley like Rory did.

It's just shit thrown, and they are hoping it sticks.

Nothing but favorable match making and the one guy who has a somewhat competitive style to beat him still has glaring holes Woodley could exploit and still went to a draw and won a split decision he arguably lost both.

I didn't listen to it yet, so you'll have to tell me.

He wasn't interested in those fights. He wasn't interested in fighting someone who was trying to get to his level. He's already there.

Do you think he was lying and he's actually afraid of those fighters?

He wasn't interested in those fights. He wasn't interested in fighting someone who was trying to get to his level. He's already there.

Do you think he was lying and he's actually afraid of those fighters?

I don't think so. He used to be vocal about superfights, and now he acts like he doesn't want them because matter of fact UFC won't give them to him.

He will never get Conor, GSP or Diaz. He knows that, and probably seen the hardcore-fan backlash (he seems like he's well informed on what the fans think, maybe due to his spot on FOX) on his proposal to fight Diaz and now he wants to get back into the favor of the hardcores and act like he never wanted a superfight.
Used the Joe Rogan Podcast as a platform to do this. Not a bad move.

I don't care, either way.
I respect him because he stays active and that's all we can ask for from a champ, isn't it?

Back