Really struggling and falling behind in BJJ

Well that is the freaking problem.
There is no problem other than unrealistic expectations.

Would you expect an old, overweight, out of shape guy to start tapping everyone left and right after one year of training? STFUAT.

Edit : unrelated but don't want to flood forum, but what age is good to take my son to bjj class ? He just turned 5 a week ago and has minor speech deficiencies and is pretty hyper. Thanks
5 years is good to start judo. Bjj clubs I've seen so far are boring for kids.

I agree but I don't know why our professor gradually started taking up entire hour of class for techniques rather than reserving st least last 15 minutes for rolling. He does have open mats after class but I usually have to go to work , pick up son etc so an hour is all i have.

In your opinion , and for a relative beginner at my level, how many 5 minute rolls minimum a day should I do if I go 4-5 or even 6 times a week ?
I wouldnt say 18 months is a beginner, but even if you were a few months in, at least 3-4 rounds.

Well that is the freaking problem.

He is already training 6 days o'er week.

What do you recommend: train 22 times instead.
it worked for the miyaos

seriously though, he may train 6 days a week but it sounds like he could do more sparring. also, watch more film, easy to do anytime.

situational sparring would be beneficial as well, to address the weakest aspects of his game.

Last edited:
yeah you still roll everyday but you don't think that's enough? I don't get it

You are a borderline middle aged man with no real experience in combat sports or even serious competitive sports. “Only” Doing 2 or 3 rolls a day plus drilling is overtraining for you. You also care too much about “results” I.e. taps.. than how you actually perform. Cut back on the training. Add lifting or cardio and yoga. Make 10 minutes of your practice equivalent to 30 of someone else

You’ve also made enough posts that it is apparent that you feel “entitled” to doing better because you are there 5 days a week. Do the work

This

yeah you still roll everyday but you don't think that's enough? I don't get it

Well some very knowledgeable people on here are saying it's not enough because I only roll 2 or 3 times a class. How would I know if that's the norm or not without asking?

There is no problem other than unrealistic expectations.

Would you expect an old, overweight, out of shape guy to start tapping everyone left and right after one year of training? STFUAT.

Once again.
It is a forum and you cannot just tell people to shut and keep training.

In thus case, ts is not that old. He is not overweight. Actually I think he is small and that is the reason of his problem. And he is putting lot of training. Already.

it worked for the miyaos

seriously though, he may train 6 days a week but it sounds like he could do more sparring. also, watch more film, easy to do anytime.

situational sparring would be beneficial as well, to address the weakest aspects of his game.

But he can't.

Seriously telling that the answer is dedicate like the miyaos is not the answers

It's not really training if your not doing any hard rolling sessions. It's has to be technique + rolling. Technique only classes will only take you so far. Hard rolling is what sharpens everything.

It's not really training if your not doing any hard rolling sessions. It's has to be technique + rolling. Technique only classes will only take you so far. Hard rolling is what sharpens everything.

I agree.... just have to find the right amount for my age and my goals and that's what I'm hoping more knowledgeable people on here can help me determine:)

Once again.
It is a forum and you cannot just tell people to shut and keep training.

In thus case, ts is not that old. He is not overweight. Actually I think he is small and that is the reason of his problem. And he is putting lot of training. Already.

Yeah I'm most definitely NOT overweight. If anything I need more muscle mass and weight

Honestly for my age I'm pretty toned. But cardio is an issue.

Cardio tends to be scored subjectively.

Do some tests find out if you actually have bad cardio before blaming it.

Normally gassing is intensity related.

I agree.... just have to find the right amount for my age and my goals and that's what I'm hoping more knowledgeable people on here can help me determine:)

Just my opinion, but I think people often make the mistake of looking for abstract answers to tangible problems. You getting dominated by less experienced people is probably not because of your training regimen, age, cardio, intensity level, etc, it's because of some very specific technical things you're doing or not doing that are allowing people to beat you. Most likely, you're lacking important defensive fundamentals in your guard. Also, you may still need to develop a simple yet effective gameplan necessary for success at lower belt levels.

Back