What's In Your Shave Den?

ThunderL1ps

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Tired of paying for disposable Gillete cartridges over the years I decided I want to try something different. I've started wet shaving in the last couple of months. The whole idea of doing this was to get as good or better shave for less money --- although I am putting out some money to get these products up front, in the long run I'll probably save money. I lucked out and bought most of this stuff 25-35% off online.

For those that only use cartridge razors, shaving with a double edge razor is a bit of a skill as you do not have a pivoting head like you would with a Gillite Fushion for example. Pressing down on your face with a double edge razor like how you would with a cartridge razor will not end well.

Razor:

My double edge safety razor is a Merkur Progress that I bought on sale and saved a whopping 35 percent on before Christmas. With so many options for razors, I decided to go with something adjustable that allowed me to control how aggressive the shave is due to more or less blade exposure. The progress has a short and long handle version. I purchased the short version and even with my XL hands, I have no issues at all controlling it. It has a nice weight and balance to it. I love how I can shave my face more aggressively and take it easier on more sensitive areas like my neck:

Brush:

The site I purchased my brush for had a moving sale so the options were limited. However, I did end up buying a badger hair brush priced. The Progress Vulfix No. 374 Black handle Super Badger Shaving Brush for 56 dollars minus 25 percent discount is what I'm using to apply the shave lather. I was surprised how expensive some of these brushes can get.

Shaving Cream options:

Unsure of what sort of shaving cream to get, I knew I wanted to get a few different options. I went with a more premium brand with Taylor of Old Bond Street and a couple of different scents of Proraso.

Taylor of Old Bond Street coconut shaving cream

Proraso shaving cream for sensitive skin

Blades:

I purchased 100 Persona double edge blue hospital "prep" blades that were on sale. They are rated close to Feather for sharpest blades you can buy. I probably am overdoing it getting them, seeing that I can control how much of the blade is exposed with my adjustable Merkur Progress. They have a reputation of being able to get 5 to 6 shave per blade. For 35 dollars, that's a pretty good investment. These ones are made in the USA.

I also have various sample packs (5-7 blades per pack) of various Gillette blades, Personna,Feather, Derby Extra and Astra Platinum. I like the Gillette Platinum the best of the Gillete product line. The Feather I used on one of my early shaves where my technique wasn't quite there yet and paid the price (cuts). I'll reserve judgment on all the blades until I use them all and gain experience with my shaving technique.

Pre/Post shave:

I use Proraso sensitive as a post shave rather than pre-shave. I was using it pre-shave, but since I went to cold water shaving in the last few weeks, I don't see the need to soften my whiskers before I shave. It feels nice post-shave

Nivea has an alcohol free balm that you can buy almost anywhere. I found that i needed it after dragging a razor blade across my face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqeC3Suf9m8

I get some generic 5 blade razor at the drug store. It's not quite as good as the Fusion, but the blades are like half price and totally good enough.

I've been using a DE Merkur for about six years now. You can get awesome silvertip badger brushes at Whipped Dog for like $40 all the time:

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/silvertip-badger

I use Personna Reds, Gillette Blacks, Gillette Silver Blues, Feather, and a few others.

For soap, check out Mikes:

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/

It's the best IMO. I've tried many including Proraso and Taylor's. My second favorite are Razorocks... just about all are good.

You paid $35 for those Personna's? I think I paid like $9 for a 100 of Personna's red and they're awesome. I seldom pay more than $15 for 100. Also, check out Polsilvers... they might be better than the Gillettes.

Last edited:
I've been using a DE Merkur for about six years now. You can get awesome silvertip badger brushes at Whipped Dog for like $40 all the time:

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/view/silvertip-badger

I use Personna Reds, Gillette Blacks, Gillette Silver Blues, Feather, and a few others.

For soap, check out Mikes:

http://www.mikesnaturalsoaps.com/

It's the best IMO. I've tried many including Proraso and Taylor's. My second favorite are Razorocks... just about all are good.

You paid $35 for those Personna's? I think I paid like $9 for a 100 of Personna's red and they're awesome. I seldom pay more than $15 for 100. Also, check out Polsilvers... they might be better than the Gillettes.

I'm in Canada so the prices are a bit more.

I know the Persona your'e talking about, but as far as I know the prep kind are a higher grade. But I could be mistaken. These are the ones I bought from a different online retailer in Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Personna-Prep-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B002MC0RXE

I had thought of getting some Astra's for $16 for 100 but I liked the Persona sampler that I used so I went in for 100.

What's the cold water shaving like?

Really good actually. It seems counter initiative, but there is less irritation. It makes the whiskers more rigid. A shave after a hot towel or shower makes them softer.

It is worth trying a few times. Make sure your skin is well hydrated between passes. I only ever do cold water shaves now.

I'm in Canada so the prices are a bit more.

I know the Persona your'e talking about, but as far as I know the prep kind are a higher grade. But I could be mistaken. These are the ones I bought from a different online retailer in Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/Personna-Prep-Double-Razor-Blades/dp/B002MC0RXE

I had thought of getting some Astra's for $16 for 100 but I liked the Persona sampler that I used so I went in for 100.

I see. Get these... they're probably better:

https://www.amazon.ca/Polsilver-Sup...UTF8&qid=1515822027&sr=1-1&keywords=polsilver

I shave my neck, mustache area, and entire head - so finding cheap and effective shaving products is essential.

I used to buy excusively at Dollar Tree, and their 10 double-bladed razors for $1 can't be beat. Screw shaving cream, $1 bottle of cocoa lotion is better in every way.

But now I'm not poor, and have upgraded. Shave Mob's razors are cheap, very sharp, and I can use one razer to shave (neck, mustashe area, and entire head) multiple times before throwing out a blade.

mens_razor_580.png

And their handle is as good, if not better than anything Gillette has put on the market.

img_55896e93dea8a-300x184.png

Their 3-bladed razors are perfect, and easy to clean. They have 6-bladed razors available, and I use them to shave my face when I need to be clean shaven, but they're tough to clean because the blades are so close together. The 3-bladed razors have enough distance between the blades to make cleaning very easy without needing high water pressure.

If you're looking for cheap high-quality blades, give Shave Mob a shot.

the den has gotten a bit smaller.

i learned to shave with a straight razor, so i put most of my double edges away.

I have a beard that i keep trimmed with a #1.5 guard. And just shave cheek and neck area. But I still use a brush (i made a few of my own) and shaving soap for lather.

for after shave, i use a beard oil that i got from the local farmers market. when I'm out of that , i just use coconut oil.

the den has gotten a bit smaller.

i learned to shave with a straight razor, so i put most of my double edges away.

I have a beard that i keep trimmed with a #1.5 guard. And just shave cheek and neck area. But I still use a brush (i made a few of my own) and shaving soap for lather.

for after shave, i use a beard oil that i got from the local farmers market. when I'm out of that , i just use coconut oil.

I use some coconut oil as well on my skin if it's a bit irritated after the fact. I've thought of trying to shave with it and set my Merkur Progress on a low setting to see how that goes, but I'm not there yet.

I'd like to work up to a straight razor myself.

I use some coconut oil as well on my skin if it's a bit irritated after the fact. I've thought of trying to shave with it and set my Merkur Progress on a low setting to see how that goes, but I'm not there yet.

I'd like to work up to a straight razor myself.
i tried shaving with coconut oil, it only clogged up my razor... however, it may be different for someone else.

I shave my neck, mustache area, and entire head - so finding cheap and effective shaving products is essential.

I used to buy excusively at Dollar Tree, and their 10 double-bladed razors for $1 can't be beat. Screw shaving cream, $1 bottle of cocoa lotion is better in every way.

But now I'm not poor, and have upgraded. Shave Mob's razors are cheap, very sharp, and I can use one razer to shave (neck, mustashe area, and entire head) multiple times before throwing out a blade.

mens_razor_580.png

And their handle is as good, if not better than anything Gillette has put on the market.

Their 3-bladed razors are perfect, and easy to clean. They have 6-bladed razors available, and I use them to shave my face when I need to be clean shaven, but they're tough to clean because the blades are so close together. The 3-bladed razors have enough distance between the blades to make cleaning very easy without needing high water pressure.

Have you tried sharpening the blades on old denim to get longer life out of them? I used to do that with my Gilletes.

I used to have cartridge razors, but I found it a hassle to get them every 4 months. I switched to disposable razors, and man are they great. I don't grow facial hair like most and the disp. razors work wonders for me. $7 for 20 and it lasts me great

Just got a safety razor myself. First time. It’s a Merkur Clone. Love the shave, and the blade is lasting a lot longer than my old Gillette’s.

mens_razor_580.png

I’m just giving you a like for your sig. That guy annoys me.

Have you tried sharpening the blades on old denim to get longer life out of them? I used to do that with my Gilletes.

Nope, haven't tried that. When they start to get alittle dull (which takes a while), I throw them out. They're cheap so I get more than my money's worth out of each blade, so I don't bother with little tricks to keep them around for every hair they can cut.

Adjustable?
Ya, kinda. It’s a series of plates that the blade sits on that you change out depending on how aggressive of a shave you want. The most sensitive setting is so comfortable, impossible to cut yourself, and still gets close. But I use a closer setting for some parts of my face.

Rockwell Razors. I just got off my ass to look.

As comfortable on that gentle setting as an electric, and much closer.

Back