Official Women's Division Discussion #25

A little Kayla Harrison

Andy Nguyen makes weight but she needs to strip down to get there.

--
Rotten luck for GKO event going down in flames.

man it's so strange
Kayla sometimes looks like she's 24 years old and sometimes 38 for me..

i hope she turns out to be successful in MMA, 145 needs more promising people

Only just heard the news about Amanda Serrano signing for Combate, with a fight scheduled for March. A good choice imo.

All fighters fighting on tomorrow's UFC card successfully made weight. -
Danielle Taylor (113.5) vs. JJ Aldrich (115.5)
Jessica Eye (126) vs. Kalindra Faria (124.5)
Irene Aldana (135) vs. Talita Bernardo (134.5)
Paige VanZant (125.5) vs. Jessica-Rose Clark (125.5)

Excited for all these fights. I think Eye vs. Faria will be a good one, so will Aldana vs. Bernardo (kinda hope Irene gets the finish). Hoping Jessy Jess takes home the win tomorrow. I could see them pitching the winner of PVZ / Jessy Jess vs. the winner of Mara / Chook. The next title challenger should be determined between Davis, Murphy, Eubanks (whenever she comes back) and whoever wins Shevchenko / Cachoeira IMO.

All fighters fighting on tomorrow's UFC card successfully made weight. -
The next title challenger should be determined between Davis, Murphy, Eubanks (whenever she comes back) and whoever wins Shevchenko / Cachoeira IMO.

I don't really want to see Barb get a shot... I didn't mind her before, but she was irritating as fuck on the show. Get the fuck out of the sauna.

I also think Sarj needs to have a fight before getting another shot at at title fight... I like her, but she fucked everybody over.

When you factor in the fights happening this weekend, and Maia and Agnieszka coming over... This division is going to be fun to watch.

Yeah. I find Murphy annoying AF too but she got a big win in Honchak... but then again Montano has beaten her already. I guess the winner of Shev / Cachoeira will most likely be in title talks, and maybe Davis too. I'm just looking at who's signed right now, but I definitely think things will get a lot interesting / better when the "bigger" names like Maia, Niedzwiedz, Porto etc. make their ways over.

Also... this is exactly where I'd be looking to trade away Cyborg (like I brought up earlier in the week)

Bellator has some good 125ers. Send them to the UFC, Cyborg goes to Bellator. Everybody wins.

I don't really want to see Barb get a shot... I didn't mind her before, but she was irritating as fuck on the show. Get the fuck out of the sauna.

I also think Sarj needs to have a fight before getting another shot at at title fight... I like her, but she fucked everybody over.

When you factor in the fights happening this weekend, and Maia and Agnieszka coming over... This division is going to be fun to watch.
Barb? You mean Lauren?

Also... this is exactly where I'd be looking to trade away Cyborg (like I brought up earlier in the week)

Bellator has some good 125ers. Send them to the UFC, Cyborg goes to Bellator. Everybody wins.

I can give you a bunch more reasons.

:)

Are you deliberately referring to Lauren Murphy as Barb, or is it just Lauren's curse to be forever mistakenly called Barb?

That's not gonna happen :)

I don't think UFC will have much trouble filling 125. They don't really need Bellator's FlWs.

And they've put so much money and time and nerves into keeping Cyborg bound to the UFC and away from Bellator - they are not gonna gift-trade her away now after she not only kept on winning but also did pretty good numbers on her PPV.

I know that Lauren Murphy may need to start wearing
her My Name Is Lauren shirt with her fight gear if UFC
will allow it so she does not keep on getting called Barb
every time.

0% the chance of UFC "trading" Cyborg with Bellator. Would like to see that, though.

I'm excited to see if UFC will give Jennifer Maia a titleshot like they should. Valentina, if she wins, could fight Alexis Davis.

I srsly wonder if Jessy Jess will be able to keep cutting that amount of weight..
She looked awful. Definitely unhealthy.

10540550.jpg

Looks like a different person. Even though she’s only 5’4 I never really noticed her being undersized at 135.

Looks like a different person. Even though she’s only 5’4 I never really noticed her being undersized at 135.

I know Jess has mentioned being 5'4 and fight finders list her there but she looks pretty close to 5'5 to me. This is a repost from another thread: VanZant is Underdog to Clark.

I was thinking it could be because of a size difference, but on fight finder they have PVZ and Rose-Clark listed at 5'4. I was expecting Rose-Clark to be a couple inches taller, which she could be in reality.

Clark is more of a 5'5 fighter. Listing her at 5'4 is a little bit off from what I have seen of her. Of course heights for different fighters is often wrong on fight finders. Bec Rawling is listed as upwards of 5'6 but I have seen her as 5'5 at times too. Some pics.

Pannie Kianzad vs. Jessy Jess. Kianzad is often listed as either 5'7 or 5'8 (Kianzad made weight on this one, she missed weight against Evinger, 136.7 for a planned title fight. Title fight cancelled to a regular catchweight affair.)

pannie-kianzad-vs-jessy-jess-at-invicta-fc-13-by-esther-lin-july-8th-2015.jpg

Pam Sorenson (140.6) vs. Jessy Jess. Sorenson is usually listed as 5'5 **

013_Pam_Sorenson_and_Jessica_Rose_Clark.jpg

Bec Rawlings vs. Jessy Jess. Rawlings is often listed as 5'5 or 5'6

bec-rawlings-jessica-rose-clark-ufc-fight-night-121-weigh-ins.jpg

As for who stands the best chance of winning there are good arguments for Clark as she is a more complete fighter but VanZant's style (pressure into the fence and dirty strike), if she can implement it, at flyweight could undermine Clark's overall striking advantages. VanZant as a sloppy but fast ground game that works a little bit to her advantage. Lots of intangibles on VanZant's debut at flyweight. (Edit: Again. More reasons to see Clark as the favorite in my opinion - just to be clear.)

(A another Edit from Today's repost: Far more could be said about both fighters and why Clark is probably a good bet as the favorite for this fight. To further my thoughts on multiple items to consider. Clark's home was broken into and her cat was kick so hard it killed the poor cat. That can effect someone. Probably a plus to VanZant - as awful as it is to see these events in that kind of light. I hope Clark works thru this and manages the situation fine; Clark has lived a tough life so I suspect Clark will manage fine. Next. Most point to Clark being the bigger fighter, stronger, etc., true, but she needs to be able to fight with strength ad endurance at a weight class she has only, sort of, fought at once, and in a quick turn around from her fight with Bec Rawlings. Just a handful of thoughts on that matter without going into details.)

Clark's clinch game is pretty decent though so I think she will be okay there. She does make mistakes at times which led Carina Damm a moment to take her back when they fought. That fight was judged a split decision. (I disagree with, Jess should have won 30-27 despite Damm having a few moments in the first minutes of the first round and the back take in a later round.) Jess took a ton of criticism after that fight. Not UFC level was mentioned after I mentioned her on the forums here in the heavies.*

*I mentioned her win over Damm as a decent one after her back to back losses to Sorenson and Kaufman.

** I ought to double check this but I recall Jess' opponent missing weight in their fights. Jess does have one or two fight at featherweight but clearly that is not her proper weight and that was, and is not, unusual in underdeveloped regional levels for women to fight up a weight class.

Two of Jessy Jess' opponents, Pannie Kianzad and Sarah Kaufman will be fighting at Invicta Jan 13th on fight pass. I was looking for a pic with Jess and Kaufman as Kaufman is 5'5.

Last edited:

Bellator really only pushes good looking WMMA fighters (more so than UFC) so I'm not sure if that move would make much sense from their standpoint.

Parlay

Sarah Kaufman-285
Vanessa Porto-600
Brogan Walker-190
Ashley Cummins-300
Ashley Nichols+160
Jessica-Rose Clark-115
Jessica Eye-120
J.J. Aldrich-115
Irene Aldana-165

Risk
$5.00
Win
$424.11

This is my favorite bet ever by so far its not even funny. Never would have guessed it to be possible. haha.

Back