Kentucky Derby...and Beyond?

Geroux killing it today. possible plus for Guilherme?

He won the 8th as well I take it? Yeah, Geroux is a top jockey anywhere, but especially down at the Fair Grounds. Him holding a hot hand today certainly doesn't hurt Guilherme chances that's for sure.

Sorry about that, T. I should've gave out better particulars for you beforehand as far as race #, track, etc.

We'll try to make it up for you in this next one here.

Not your fault, Shark. I just happened to check the thread a little bit too late.

We'll get em next time. Instilled Regard is legit, tho, so we know he can run like a beast.

We'll get em next time. Instilled Regard is legit, tho, so we know he can run like a beast.

Yeah, that's not really a race I feel bad about losing when it's the two heavy favourites running one-two.

It's still way early yet, but this is shaping up to be a pretty good crop of 3 year-olds we'll see running this year.

Bet a whole dollar on Cedartown to show and he ends up winning lol, that was a straight degen play tho so I don't feel bad at all for not playing it anymore. Calvin Borel is sooo old for a jockey isn't he? Can jockeys become washed up like fighters? I know it's Louisana and all but he retired and came back, weird.

Bet a whole dollar on Cedartown to show and he ends up winning lol, that was a straight degen play tho so I don't feel bad at all for not playing it anymore. Calvin Borel is sooo old for a jockey isn't he? Can jockeys become washed up like fighters? I know it's Louisana and all but he retired and came back, weird.

Haha. Nice.

Yeah, jocks can become washed up for sure. Mostly due to all the injuries they sustain, which can then make them hesitate to shoot through holes and things like that. There used to be an old saying along the lines of "he rides like a married man" for riders who never tried to come up the inside and instead always chose the outside path for their horses. Logic being that married life had softened them up.

Haha. Nice.

Yeah, jocks can become washed up for sure. Mostly due to all the injuries they sustain, which can then make them hesitate to shoot through holes and things like that. There used to be an old saying along the lines of "he rides like a married man" for riders who never tried to come up the inside and instead always chose the outside path for their horses. Logic being that married life had softened them up.

Lol rides like a married man is funny. Being cooped up in that starting gate, I've heard there were some nasty stories just from that, I've only ridden horses casually when I was a kid a long time ago, but even then I was super scared to have make them go at a gallop, let alone doing it against the rail or in between other horses. Those guys are so small too, it's crazy.

Anyway thanks for all the help this week, man, it's been a fun day. Looking forward to the next races to study up on so we can kill the books whenever there's a good race to bet. I honestly didn't realize just how many races take place even on the weekdays, that's a whole lot of racing to keep up with.

Lol rides like a married man is funny. Being cooped up in that starting gate, I've heard there were some nasty stories just from that, I've only ridden horses casually when I was a kid a long time ago, but even then I was super scared to have make them go at a gallop, let alone doing it against the rail or in between other horses. Those guys are so small too, it's crazy.

Anyway thanks for all the help this week, man, it's been a fun day. Looking forward to the next races to study up on so we can kill the books whenever there's a good race to bet. I honestly didn't realize just how many races take place even on the weekdays, that's a whole lot of racing to keep up with.

Yeah, these jockeys are something else. It's a tough life for them for sure, and there's only a select few who make real good money doing it. I think I've read before that the average jock sustains about 3 serious injuries a year after falls. Broken bones, concussions, and things like that are common place. A lot of them have lost their lives out there on the track as well when they've fallen and have gotten trampled by horses behind them.

Just to keep their jobs as jocks is also tough for a lot of them as well just because they have to keep their weight down in order to get the rides. I've heard some real horrors stories about weight cutting with these guys. In the old days they used to gather up all the horse shit into one big pile and then the jocks would dig holes in that steaming pile of shit and make a sauna out of it. Yeah. Lots of them used to swallow things like tapeworms that would eat up their insides just to lose weight and then go and get it removed. That used to be a common practice back in the day. Then we have all the pukers out there. Like Borel, who has been forcing himself to puke for so long that all the acid from that has taken all of his teeth away. Life of a jockey isn't easy by any means. Then they have to get onto something that is moving 40 mph, bouncing up and down, all the while balancing themselves with just the balls of their feet and the inside of their calfs. And having to react in an instant to things going on around them. Tough life they lead.

And cheers Blunt. Great job today with your first try too. There are races everyday if you want to play some at any time. I'm planning to get back to what I was doing with these tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something to play. And the day after. And the day after that. But whenever you get the urge to play some races they'll be there for you in that link I gave out before with the PP's. Just be careful would ya.

Yeah, these jockeys are something else. It's a tough life for them for sure, and there's only a select few who make real good money doing it. I think I've read before that the average jock sustains about 3 serious injuries a year after falls. Broken bones, concussions, and things like that are common place. A lot of them have lost their lives out there on the track as well when they've fallen and have gotten trampled by horses behind them.

Just to keep their jobs as jocks is also tough for a lot of them as well just because they have to keep their weight down in order to get the rides. I've heard some real horrors stories about weight cutting with these guys. In the old days they used to gather up all the horse shit into one big pile and then the jocks would dig holes in that steaming pile of shit and make a sauna out of it. Yeah. Lots of them used to swallow things like tapeworms that would eat up their insides just to lose weight and then go and get it removed. That used to be a common practice back in the day. Then we have all the pukers out there. Like Borel, who has been forcing himself to puke for so long that all the acid from that has taken all of his teeth away. Life of a jockey isn't easy by any means. Then they have to get onto something that is moving 40 mph, bouncing up and down, all the while balancing themselves with just the balls of their feet and the inside of their calfs. And having to react in an instant to things going on around them. Tough life they lead.

And cheers Blunt. Great job today with your first try too. There are races everyday if you want to play some at any time. I'm planning to get back to what I was doing with these tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll be able to find something to play. And the day after. And the day after that. But whenever you get the urge to play some races they'll be there for you in that link I gave out before with the PP's. Just be careful would ya.

oh my God, dude, that is disgusting. Wow, shit sauna's, willingly eating fucking tapeworms, and bulimia just to stay light enough to ride. So gross but respect to them for living that life in order to feed themselves and their families. Reminds me a lot of fighters and cutting weight, ironically enough Michael Katsidis' brother died of an od a few years back and I remember reading that he was a jockey out in Australia. Both lead tough lives, that's for sure. Katsidis was a warrior and I assume his brother was a tough sob, too, to be a jockey and go through all that damage.

thanks man, yeah I'll take it easy for sure. Actually I hate to ask another couple favors from you, b/c you've done so much for me already, but could you link me to that pp page again and maybe throw out a race or two that might be good for a beginner like me to study up on? Or just ones you're looking at so I can follow along. Sorry man, I swear I bookmarked the pp's but can't find it right now and I'm worried to start looking at races w/o your approval quite yet, lol.

oh my God, dude, that is disgusting. Wow, shit sauna's, willingly eating fucking tapeworms, and bulimia just to stay light enough to ride. So gross but respect to them for living that life in order to feed themselves and their families. Reminds me a lot of fighters and cutting weight, ironically enough Michael Katsidis' brother died of an od a few years back and I remember reading that he was a jockey out in Australia. Both lead tough lives, that's for sure. Katsidis was a warrior and I assume his brother was a tough sob, too, to be a jockey and go through all that damage.

thanks man, yeah I'll take it easy for sure. Actually I hate to ask another couple favors from you, b/c you've done so much for me already, but could you link me to that pp page again and maybe throw out a race or two that might be good for a beginner like me to study up on? Or just ones you're looking at so I can follow along. Sorry man, I swear I bookmarked the pp's but can't find it right now and I'm worried to start looking at races w/o your approval quite yet, lol.

You got it, bud.

http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html

I haven't looked at any races at all tomorrow yet, but there's another Derby prep race set to be ran on Monday at Oaklawn that could be a good race for you to look at. The Smarty Jones Stakes, which is race 8 on the card. I'll eventually be browsing through all of them tomorrow believe it or not just looking for one thing in particular. I'll see if I can find some stakes races for you while I do so. But I got to get some sleep before I do that, though. Been up for 20 hours straight now just trying to get myself off this night schedule I've been on the last few days.

You got it, bud.

http://www.trks2day.com/trks2day.html

I haven't looked at any races at all tomorrow yet, but there's another Derby prep race set to be ran on Monday at Oaklawn that could be a good race for you to look at. The Smarty Jones Stakes, which is race 8 on the card. I'll eventually be browsing through all of them tomorrow believe it or not just looking for one thing in particular. I'll see if I can find some stakes races for you while I do so. But I got to get some sleep before I do that, though. Been up for 20 hours straight now just trying to get myself off this night schedule I've been on the last few days.
Thanks man, really appreciate. Get some rest, you've been doing a lot of teaching and been very patient with me. Thank you. Talk to you soon, my friend.

Just one for me today;

Gulfstream Race 1 - #1 Mr Bridger to win/place for $5/$10

@BluntTrauma21

There's a stakes race taking place at Santa Anita later on in the day that may be worth taking a stab at in some small way. Race 9 there called the Astra Stakes. Not going to be easy, though, so if you don't want to tackle it then that's understandable. A field of 11 going 1.5 miles on the turf (3 turns). A couple of things with these long distance turf races that can help you. Or any turf race really. In races like these saving ground around the turns is ultra important (moreso than on dirt), so maybe you want to upgrade those horses who draw one of the inner posts just as a basic starting point. Also, because turf races are most often ran slow early, fast late, the late pace (LP) figures of a horse can also help you zero in on the contenders as well. That's in addition to everything else you know already, of course.

Actually that Astra Stakes race doesn't really look all that tough now that I've taken a closer you at look. Looks like it has two pretty clear contenders on paper, and then maybe a couple more than could be considered as well. Not really that deep of a race, so I think you'll be okay with it, Blunt.

I think I'll find a horse to bet for $5 to win, $10 to place, and then maybe a $2 exacta box with three of them (hint, hint, hint).

Too obvious?

Just one for me today;

Gulfstream Race 1 - #1 Mr Bridger to win/place for $5/$10

I'm going to try one more at that track, and I'll probably just play the above for for $4 and $6 because of it.

Gulfstream Race 8 - #4 Umetuka (5/1) to win for $5

I don't often play first time starters since we never know how they are going to handle the experience. But this one has appeal based on it's breeding, gets a top jockey rider her in Castellano for a trainer who wins at a 21% clip first time out, and has a juicy workout pattern that says she could be on go today (last was 3rd of 100 on the day at 4F). I'll take a shot as long as she doesn't go off too short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back