What's In Your Shave Den?

Seeing that no one has asked you yet and are dying to know, "have you shaved your taint with that or what?"

I don't shave my taint! You got to control the jungle though, otherwise Jane isn't going to want to suck on Tarzan's nuts.

I do, however use my clippers. See, I use a #5, #4, and #3 guard to do a fade down my head.I use the #2 guard for my beard and the edges.

As far as taking care of my nuts and taint, I generally do the following....

1. Wash thoroughly. I don't mind using my hair trimmers on my pubes so long as there's no pussy/cum/gooch sweat getting all over the clipper head. So I wash and dry really good first. I don't want to smell my clippers later.

2. Clean regular trimmer with alcohol wipes. Got to be sanitary!

3. Use the clippers with no guard to trim the edges. Everything from the leg crease over and around the shaft of my ding-a-ling gets removed. I carefully trim completely down my gooch hairs from as close to the taint as possible and back up to the ballsack. If you're not careful, you'll nick yourself.

4. Take my #3 guard and hit the pube field.

5. Carefully stretch out my ballsack and trim down any hairs with no clipper guard. Got to be really careful not to get a sack wrinkle caught up in the blades.

Hey.... You asked! Want to know how I manage any other number of gross tasks in life?

that's very nice! west coast has it for over $300, how much did you pay for it.

i have a simple dovo. Only paid $85 for it (the site had a sale that day)

g148b.jpg

You can find the Dovo Bergischer Lowe with the buffalo horn handle running for around $300. I've seen a few sketchy websites selling them for like $240, but they could easily be counterfeit or some scam. I paid right around $450, but it was a package that came with a nice strop, foam brush, foam, hand towel, aftershave lotion, and a travel case. Of course shipping/handling was a nice penny of that.

Seriously though, I love the Dovo and consider it well worth the investment. The handle on the Lowe is this beautiful light blonde color. It has perfect balance and a nice texture for grip. The blade is flawless and super sharp. The entire razor from blade tip down to the handle really is just a total work of art. No two are the same and the quality is really top notch. I'm a huge fan of buying things once and having them for life. This is one of those things for me. Hopefully one day I'll pass it down to my son and I can teach him to shave with some class.

And seriously you say 'only' like that's still not an insane amount of money for a simple straight razor! If your Dovo is anything like mine then it's probably amazing. In fact I really love the color of yours if that's what yours looks like.

Seriously, I could talk about razors and beards all night! I love my beard and taking care of it. I'm by no means a beard hipster or anything, I literally just have a cleaned up 5 day shadow, but I think it's something all men should have it they can. There's something about having a beard that just makes me feel like a man.

Occasionally I'll fuck up the lines and have to trim it off all the way and I feel like a little child.

1ff.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back to my GEM single-edge razors. I have been all over the place with shaving creams and shaving soaps.

I have allergies to the platinum blade coating and some shaving cream/soap ingredients, so I have had to narrow a lot of things down. Some of the fragrances in the soaps/creams irritate my face too.

For a brush, I love the ones with Plissoft synthetic fibers best. They build lather better and easier than badger or boar.

I switched to cold water shaving. Honestly, for me, there is no big difference between my old hot water method and the new cold method. The lather builds the same in either. The shave quality is just as good, or bad.

I've always been a little intrigued by wet shaving but due to time constraints I use dollar shave club razors with Nivea shaving cream and I use a little witch hazel for aftershave.

a cheap three blade razor and some cheap shaving cream.

I dont get the weird fascination some sherbros have with shaving where they make it some elaborate ritual with all these blades and creams and shit

One group of people may want to eat hot dogs with mac and cheese every day of their life and say that it is food and get by. Another group would rather have a different experience by eating steak or chicken, go out for Chinese or Thai. Each group is eating. One has more variety than the other.

These products aren't expensive and you generally get what you pay for. If you try it you may have a different perspective.

I'm back to my GEM single-edge razors. I have been all over the place with shaving creams and shaving soaps.

I have allergies to the platinum blade coating and some shaving cream/soap ingredients, so I have had to narrow a lot of things down. Some of the fragrances in the soaps/creams irritate my face too.

For a brush, I love the ones with Plissoft synthetic fibers best. They build lather better and easier than badger or boar.

I switched to cold water shaving. Honestly, for me, there is no big difference between my old hot water method and the new cold method. The lather builds the same in either. The shave quality is just as good, or bad.

I will probably get a synthetic brush soon to see the difference. I was expecting more lather with my badger brush.

You can't tell the difference between any possible skin irritation between cold and hot, with your pores being closed from the cold water? I typically will have a cup with a couple of ice cubes in it and drag them along my face/neck between passes.

I've always been a little intrigued by wet shaving but due to time constraints I use dollar shave club razors with Nivea shaving cream and I use a little witch hazel for aftershave.

My shave time with a double edge has been going down, but generally I'm not rushing to do it. If you do it the night before it will last you all day. I find it is more of an experience than rushing to get the shave done like you are doing the dishes or something.

One group of people may want to eat hot dogs with mac and cheese every day of their life and say that it is food and get by. Another group would rather have a different experience by eating steak or chicken, go out for Chinese or Thai. Each group is eating. One has more variety than the other.

These products aren't expensive and you generally get what you pay for. If you try it you may have a different perspective.

Nah

Dollar shave club 4 blade disposable cartridge.

I will probably get a synthetic brush soon to see the difference. I was expecting more lather with my badger brush.

You can't tell the difference between any possible skin irritation between cold and hot, with your pores being closed from the cold water? I typically will have a cup with a couple of ice cubes in it and drag them along my face/neck between passes.

Well, I am going through a process figuring out to what my skin is allergic. And I am also using cold water. So I've run into irritation. I like cold water because it is bracing, and it is easy. Hot water shaving is close to a myth, because the lather does not stay hot unless you use a scuttle. To me the hot water "raises the grain," so I am more prone to cuts. With cold I haven't had the cuts unless contact dermatitis has "raised the grain."

So I guess the cold water HAS made some difference. Not a night-and-day thing, though.

My history as a beginning shaver in the early to mid 1980s, was massive neck redness and raised swollen areas from the Gillette Trac II and Atra blades. I now figure that my technique may not have been great, but there was allergy and contact dermatitis from dragging a blade across my face repeatedly. The blade was probably coated with platinum. I can't use Feather blades now because their platinum coating burns my face and covers me in weepers. Weepers from bad technique, possibly. The burning rash comes from contact dermatitis.

Now I know that this was a skin allergy, then I thought I was doing something wrong. I used hot water wash cloths to pre-treat my face for shaving. I used lots of canned goo. I used the razors with lube strips as soon as they hit the market. My poor neck! Nothing really helped.

I went through all of the available electric razors. Most are a joke for my heavy beard. Only the good Braun and Panasonic razors did me any good. No red, swollen neck skin, but not good shaves, really, either.

Went to the Mach III when they came out. Those were pretty good. Not as much irritation from those blades, probably due to a coating that I am not allergic to. Still, I had a lot of ingrown hairs and infected hair follicles from them.

Went to traditional wet shaving. I love the shave soap lathers! Most of them are good and have not caused too many allergy issues. The main issue with shave soaps is a burning sensation from the fragrance oils in some of them. I am a big fan of Stirling shaving soaps. They are made with good ingredients, lather easily, and are very slick. Only the Coniferous and Executive Man soaps from them cause an issue for me (but the Executive Man after shave does not, go figure). Again, due to the fragrances. I tried creams, and while I like many of them, a much larger percentage of them cause me that burning sensation. Taylor of Old Bond Street, Proraso, and Body Shop Maca Root have been safe for me.

I have to do 3 passes with a clean-up if I want a damn fine shave or baby butt smooth shave. Even with aggressive razors. So I prefer a smoother razor since I have to do these passes due to my beard type.

I can't mention all of the DE razors that I have. I have tried most of the modern ones that are reasonably priced. I have tried many vintage razors as well. I like the GEM SE razors very much, as long as their blades are Teflon-coated. I have to be very careful with the blade coatings. If I hit a platinum-coated blade, my neck and chin look like I was attacked by a chainsaw. Weeper city! Basically the first pass will raise the grain, so to speak (contact dermatitis), then the subsequent passes will get more burning sensation as I continue. Then the blade lops off the dermatitis, making many weepers. Luckily I haven't had any ingrown hairs or as much of the red, swollen skin since switching to traditional wet shaving.

Some guys can use any ol' soap, and any ol' blade, in any ol' razor, and have zero problems. Not me. I am working to eliminate the bad guys and then streamline.

TL/DR:

Cold water is better for me. Lots of shaving injuries in my youth, mostly due to unknown skin allergies. Wet shaving has helped, and now I am eliminating the barriers to a permanent daily pain-free shave.

I get tons of lather from my Whipped Dog silvertip badger brushes. They're awesome.

My shave time with a double edge has been going down, but generally I'm not rushing to do it. If you do it the night before it will last you all day. I find it is more of an experience than rushing to get the shave done like you are doing the dishes or something.

I may consider it. Is the shave really close? I have to have a clean shave for work everyday and I'm like Grizzly Adams' next of kin dude.

I may consider it. Is the shave really close? I have to have a clean shave for work everyday and I'm like Grizzly Adams' next of kin dude.

Closer than any crap razor you buy in the store. I can get like 10 shaves out of mine and on the 8th day or so, the shave is closer than the first day of Mach 3 or whatever.

Of course, it kind of depends on how aggressive your razor is too. Mine is mildly aggressive.

Most of that stuff is useless for me.

I used to use clippers as I liked short hair since I was a kid. Then in military got bored vacuuming the hairs so used razors on my head. Gilettes/shaving foam etc.

Now I just shave with water in the shower and the disposable razors and do it. There is literally no difference when I used water and disposable blade as using foam etc other that the money I save!

Well, I am going through a process figuring out to what my skin is allergic. And I am also using cold water. So I've run into irritation. I like cold water because it is bracing, and it is easy. Hot water shaving is close to a myth, because the lather does not stay hot unless you use a scuttle. To me the hot water "raises the grain," so I am more prone to cuts. With cold I haven't had the cuts unless contact dermatitis has "raised the grain."

So I guess the cold water HAS made some difference. Not a night-and-day thing, though.

My history as a beginning shaver in the early to mid 1980s, was massive neck redness and raised swollen areas from the Gillette Trac II and Atra blades. I now figure that my technique may not have been great, but there was allergy and contact dermatitis from dragging a blade across my face repeatedly. The blade was probably coated with platinum. I can't use Feather blades now because their platinum coating burns my face and covers me in weepers. Weepers from bad technique, possibly. The burning rash comes from contact dermatitis.

Now I know that this was a skin allergy, then I thought I was doing something wrong. I used hot water wash cloths to pre-treat my face for shaving. I used lots of canned goo. I used the razors with lube strips as soon as they hit the market. My poor neck! Nothing really helped.

I went through all of the available electric razors. Most are a joke for my heavy beard. Only the good Braun and Panasonic razors did me any good. No red, swollen neck skin, but not good shaves, really, either.

Went to the Mach III when they came out. Those were pretty good. Not as much irritation from those blades, probably due to a coating that I am not allergic to. Still, I had a lot of ingrown hairs and infected hair follicles from them.

Went to traditional wet shaving. I love the shave soap lathers! Most of them are good and have not caused too many allergy issues. The main issue with shave soaps is a burning sensation from the fragrance oils in some of them. I am a big fan of Stirling shaving soaps. They are made with good ingredients, lather easily, and are very slick. Only the Coniferous and Executive Man soaps from them cause an issue for me (but the Executive Man after shave does not, go figure). Again, due to the fragrances. I tried creams, and while I like many of them, a much larger percentage of them cause me that burning sensation. Taylor of Old Bond Street, Proraso, and Body Shop Maca Root have been safe for me.

I have to do 3 passes with a clean-up if I want a damn fine shave or baby butt smooth shave. Even with aggressive razors. So I prefer a smoother razor since I have to do these passes due to my beard type.

I can't mention all of the DE razors that I have. I have tried most of the modern ones that are reasonably priced. I have tried many vintage razors as well. I like the GEM SE razors very much, as long as their blades are Teflon-coated. I have to be very careful with the blade coatings. If I hit a platinum-coated blade, my neck and chin look like I was attacked by a chainsaw. Weeper city! Basically the first pass will raise the grain, so to speak (contact dermatitis), then the subsequent passes will get more burning sensation as I continue. Then the blade lops off the dermatitis, making many weepers. Luckily I haven't had any ingrown hairs or as much of the red, swollen skin since switching to traditional wet shaving.

Some guys can use any ol' soap, and any ol' blade, in any ol' razor, and have zero problems. Not me. I am working to eliminate the bad guys and then streamline.

TL/DR:

Cold water is better for me. Lots of shaving injuries in my youth, mostly due to unknown skin allergies. Wet shaving has helped, and now I am eliminating the barriers to a permanent daily pain-free shave.

1) Have you ever tried Taylor Old Bond Street organic shaving cream? It's a bit more but may help someone that has issues with skin irritation.

2) Do you think that your three pass plus clean-up may be excessive? I find I have issues with my neck more than anywhere and am playing around with adjusting my Merkur Progress intensity with my neck or going to fewer passes for my neck

3) Have you ever tried a slant razor? Apparently they require fewer passes

Yes. You may have a 5 o'clock shadow look depending on your beard growth. It is still baby butt smooth (BBS). Cartridge razors lift the hair, while a safety razor or other blade chops the skin at the surface. Maybe with some skin stretching and advanced shave techniques you can get it down more? This is still pretty new to me. But you do look shaven and it is smooth to the touch.

I went with a Merkur Progress adjustable razor because I didn't know how aggressive or mild or a razor I needed to get a close irritation free shave. This model allows the flexibility. Plus Mantic59 (Youtube) from Sharpologst.com who is a wet shaving "legend" said that if he could only have one razor, that is the one he would have.

Eh, I don't shave smooth so I just use a pair of clippers without attachments. Takes 5 minutes.

I don't think I've spent a dollar on anything shaving related in 8 or so months.

1) Have you ever tried Taylor Old Bond Street organic shaving cream? It's a bit more but may help someone that has issues with skin irritation.

2) Do you think that your three pass plus clean-up may be excessive? I find I have issues with my neck more than anywhere and am playing around with adjusting my Merkur Progress intensity with my neck or going to fewer passes for my neck

3) Have you ever tried a slant razor? Apparently they require fewer passes

1) I use ToBS Avocado. It works well for me. I haven't tried their organic.
2)If I want a DFS or BBS shave, 3 passes and a cleanup is what is required. Regardless of razor. Open comb, closed comb, DE, SE, Injector, Feather Pro, and slant all included. The more aggressive razors leave me more sore, so I tend to use mild razors.
3)See #2.

My beard and its growth pattern need what I have described before for a DFS or BBS shave. I have damned near tried it all over my 37 years of shaving and 49 years of life. Thankfully I am finally getting my shave together. Platinum-coated blades are a no-no. Certain soaps and creams are verboten as well. As long as I avoid that stuff, I have good shaves. I have more good shaves than bad, unless I hit another bad soap/cream.

I don't shave my taint! You got to control the jungle though, otherwise Jane isn't going to want to suck on Tarzan's nuts.

I do, however use my clippers. See, I use a #5, #4, and #3 guard to do a fade down my head.I use the #2 guard for my beard and the edges.

As far as taking care of my nuts and taint, I generally do the following....

1. Wash thoroughly. I don't mind using my hair trimmers on my pubes so long as there's no pussy/cum/gooch sweat getting all over the clipper head. So I wash and dry really good first. I don't want to smell my clippers later.

2. Clean regular trimmer with alcohol wipes. Got to be sanitary!

3. Use the clippers with no guard to trim the edges. Everything from the leg crease over and around the shaft of my ding-a-ling gets removed. I carefully trim completely down my gooch hairs from as close to the taint as possible and back up to the ballsack. If you're not careful, you'll nick yourself.

4. Take my #3 guard and hit the pube field.

5. Carefully stretch out my ballsack and trim down any hairs with no clipper guard. Got to be really careful not to get a sack wrinkle caught up in the blades.

Hey.... You asked! Want to know how I manage any other number of gross tasks in life?

You can find the Dovo Bergischer Lowe with the buffalo horn handle running for around $300. I've seen a few sketchy websites selling them for like $240, but they could easily be counterfeit or some scam. I paid right around $450, but it was a package that came with a nice strop, foam brush, foam, hand towel, aftershave lotion, and a travel case. Of course shipping/handling was a nice penny of that.

Seriously though, I love the Dovo and consider it well worth the investment. The handle on the Lowe is this beautiful light blonde color. It has perfect balance and a nice texture for grip. The blade is flawless and super sharp. The entire razor from blade tip down to the handle really is just a total work of art. No two are the same and the quality is really top notch. I'm a huge fan of buying things once and having them for life. This is one of those things for me. Hopefully one day I'll pass it down to my son and I can teach him to shave with some class.

And seriously you say 'only' like that's still not an insane amount of money for a simple straight razor! If your Dovo is anything like mine then it's probably amazing. In fact I really love the color of yours if that's what yours looks like.

Seriously, I could talk about razors and beards all night! I love my beard and taking care of it. I'm by no means a beard hipster or anything, I literally just have a cleaned up 5 day shadow, but I think it's something all men should have it they can. There's something about having a beard that just makes me feel like a man.

Occasionally I'll fuck up the lines and have to trim it off all the way and I feel like a little child.

1ff.jpg
yes sir, just like that picture i posted. we just moved into our first house. So all my stuff is still packed. But yes, it's an amazing razor.

I'm thinking of asking my wife for a Thiers Issard straight for an anniversary gift. Those are nice!!

yes sir, just like that picture i posted. we just moved into our first house. So all my stuff is still packed. But yes, it's an amazing razor.

I'm thinking of asking my wife for a Thiers Issard straight for an anniversary gift. Those are nice!!

Yeah they are definitely nice as fuck too.

How about this bad boy?

Dovo Mammut 5/8" with a 40,000 year old mammoth tusk handle!

hr_405-040-00_dovo-mammoth-extra-hollow-5-8-straight-razor.jpg

Back