UFC not resigning Bendo, Larkin, and Rory helped legitimize Bellator’s WW division

If only Aldo moved up to LW during his reign it would have made him more credible as a champ.
He was very credible as a champ and unfortunately when he tried to go for 2 belts they wouldn't allow him

Scott Coker knows the welterweight division is the premiere weight class around which to build an organization. They going heavy in WW while ufc wastes its time and filling cards with women’s 125 and shit like that.

You do realise that in 2017 Bellator had a higher percentage of WMMA on its main cards than the UFC did?

You do realise that in 2017 Bellator had a higher percentage of WMMA on its main cards than the UFC did?

I know you are a data guy so i'm not doubting you but do you have the stats on that?

From the eyeball test that is surprising to hear.

will add up UFC in a bit.

Of 22 Bellator events in 2017 only 16 had women on the main card

170 - 0/5
171 - 1/4
172 - 1/5
173 - 1/5
174 - 1/4 (Main event)
175 - 0/5
176 - 1/4
177 - 1/4
178 - 1/4
179 - 0/5
180 - 0/6
181 - 1/4
182 - 1/4
183 - 0/5
184 - 0/4
185 - 2/5
186 - 1/5
187 - 1/5
188 - 1/4
189 - 1/4 (Main Event)
190 - 1/4
191 - 1/4

Thanks so 17/99 = 17.17% of Bellator main card fights being WMMA.

Thanks so 17/99 = 17.17% of Bellator main card fights being WMMA.

Here we go..

Bellator cards
170 - 0/5
171 - 1/4
172 - 1/5
173 - 1/5
174 - 1/4 (Main event)
175 - 0/5
176 - 1/4
177 - 1/4
178 - 1/4
179 - 0/5
180 - 0/6
181 - 1/4
182 - 1/4
183 - 0/5
184 - 0/4
185 - 2/5
186 - 1/5
187 - 1/5
188 - 1/4
189 - 1/4 (Main Event)
190 - 1/4
191 - 1/4

UFC Cards
Ive not counted either TUF card because obviously all male tuf, all female tuf will be heavily in favor of that sex

Phoenix - 0/4
Denver - 1/4 - Main Event
Houston - 2/6 - Co Main
208 - 1/5 - Main Event
Halifax - 0/6
209 - 1/5
Fortaleza - 1/6
London - 0/4
210 - 1/5
Kansas - 1/4 - Co Main
Nashville - 0/6
Dallas - 1/5 - Co Main
Stockholm - 0/6
212 - 1/5 - Co Main
Auckland - 0/6
Singapore - 1/4 - Main Event
Oklahoma - 1/6
213 - 0/5
Glasgow - 1/6 - Co Main
UnionDale - 0/4
214 - 1/5
Mexico - 1/6 - Co Main
Rotterdam - 1/4
215 - 1/5 - Main Event
Pittsburgh - 0/6
Japan - 1/6
216 - 1/5
Poland - 1/4 - Co Main
Sao Paolo - 0/6
217 - 1/5
Norfolk - 0/6
Sydney - 1/6
Shanghai - 0/4
216 - 1/5
Fresno - 0/6
Winnipeg - 0/4
219 - 2/5 - Main Event

72.73% of Bellator main cards feature WMMA fights versus only 62.16% of UFC Main cards

As far as main card slots goes, WMMA accounts for 17% of Bellator slots v 13% in the UFC

UFC Have the lead on headline slots though. 13% of UFC headlines are female versus 9% in Bellator (But UFC have more divisions)

UFC saved money in the short term by not resigning Bendo, Larkin, and Rory but they lost money in the long run.

Bendo and Larkin helped legitimize the Bellator WW division. Benson was a top 10 UFC WW when he left the UFC (beat top 10 Masvidal in his last UFC fight) and Koreshkov smoked him 50-45. This proved that Koreshkov was a top 10 WW in the world.

Larkin was a top 5 UFC WW when he left the UFC. Larkin has wins over 4 current top 10 UFC WWs (Lawler, Masvidal, Magny, Ponz).

Bellator WW champ Douglas Lima beating top 5 Larkin proved that Lima is a top 5 WW in the world.

If Bendo and Larkin never signed with Bellator, it would be hard to see where Lima and Koreshkov stood amongst the best WWs in the world.

The winner of Lima vs Rory Mac will have a strong case to being the best WW in the world.

Rory already beat Woodley and I would favor Rory to beat him again. I see Lima beating Woodley as well.

Thoughts?
UFC's WW division > Bellator's WW division
End of thread...

{<huh}

He won his last last two fights in the UFC. And one of those wins was a finish.

1. Masvidal got robbed

2. Thatch was overhyped as hell and only kept in that fight because he had a massive size advantage...an advantage that pretty much got him where he is in the UFC...but he's got no submission game whatsoever and Benson showed it, guy has looked like trash since.

Call me a hater or whatever, but Benson post-lightweight title was never really impressive to me

his split decision wins should have been wins for the other guys, Josh Thomson, Masvidal, even Frankie in their first fight should have won. His fight finishes were against guys who were nowhere near Bensons level.

Bensons still a great fighter dont get me wrong...but he hasn't shown an ability to beat ELITE level talent convincingly since 2012. Dont think any fighter has gotten more threads post-event about "so-and-so got robbed against Benson" more than him

thusly, his current iteration of himself as a fighter does NOT elevate Bellators WW division

I know you are a data guy so i'm not doubting you but do you have the stats on that?

From the eyeball test that is surprising to hear.
Bellator has been pushing their Female divisions hard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that being the case.

Their females are usually bottom of the barrel in terms of skill too, so it's hard to watch most of the time. I'll take a UFC WMMA fight over a Bellator one any day.

1. Masvidal got robbed

2. Thatch was overhyped as hell and only kept in that fight because he had a massive size advantage...an advantage that pretty much got him where he is in the UFC...but he's got no submission game whatsoever and Benson showed it, guy has looked like trash since.

Call me a hater or whatever, but Benson post-lightweight title was never really impressive to me

his split decision wins should have been wins for the other guys, Josh Thomson, Masvidal, even Frankie in their first fight should have won. His fight finishes were against guys who were nowhere near Bensons level.

Bensons still a great fighter dont get me wrong...but he hasn't shown an ability to beat ELITE level talent convincingly since 2012. Dont think any fighter has gotten more threads post-event about "so-and-so got robbed against Benson" more than him

thusly, his current iteration of himself as a fighter does NOT elevate Bellators WW division
Henderson vs Masvidal was a close fight that could've gone either way.

Bellator has been pushing their Female divisions hard, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that being the case.

Their females are usually bottom of the barrel in terms of skill too, so it's hard to watch most of the time. I'll take a UFC WMMA fight over a Bellator one any day.

the UFC's wmma division arent exactly far off either. Some of the fights they've put on are just embarassing displays of "best in their weightclass" mma

1. Masvidal got robbed

You definitely sound like you just guzzled about a gallon of Haterade.

I'm not sure why you'd say that Masvidal "got robbed." It was a very close fight that could've gone either way. The judges gave it to Bendo and that's a win for him.

Regarding the fight with Thatch, regardless of whether or not he was overhyped Bendo still finished him and I'm not sure how that in any way made Bendo "look like dogshit on his way out of the UFC."

As for Bendo's other split decision wins, I think some he deserved and some he didn't.

Lima and Koreshkov could both win the UFC belt in my eyes.

Back