oh no another muay thai vs kyokushin thread...sorry but

Honestly if you're looking to get fit go to S&C classes, if you want to learn martial arts just try both.

Yea but getting fit through a Martial Art, you're also learning to fight.

I've never been to Kyokushin, but have been to Kempo, Shotokan, etc. and if they're similar then you'll definitely get more of a workout in the average Muay Thai class. Muay Thai is heavy cardio and almost non stop hitting pads, drilling, etc. Same can happen in Karate also, but in general, they're more about doing forms it seems.
Neither Shotokan nor Kempo is kyokushin. Kyokushin is a competition and fighting focused, full contact, no protective equipment, KO=win, style. Known for its "the one who can endure the most, wins! " attitude.
So, unless you know what kyokushin is about, you really should not make any claims.

Neither Shotokan nor Kempo is kyokushin. Kyokushin is a competition and fighting focused, full contact, no protective equipment, KO=win, style. Known for its "the one who can endure the most, wins! " attitude.
So, unless you know what kyokushin is about, you really should not make any claims.

Kyokushin guys have only the founder to blame. Oyama was the one insisting on still calling the knockdown style "Karate" despite a total revision to everything from conditioning, free sparring, kicks etc.

You guys are lumbed in with softy Shotokan guys whether you like it or not. It's all Karate in the end, right? (evil grin)

Do Kyokushin if you want to die like a man or be a gym hero

Kyokushin =

Ask @Azam , he knows

do MT if you want to be a kick-supremacist

Kyokushin =

Ask @Azam , he knows

...with no hands.

Ask @ARIZE , he knows. :D

Why you all got to be that way? It started with MT traitors like Andy with the help of j123, then KBoxers and Boxers, and now even karatekas are goin to hate on me?
I though i had some people that understood me in here... Now i start to believe I've got no one to call my own...

♫ ♪ HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND ♬ ♩

Kyokushin =

Ask @Azam , he knows

It's true. It's all about honour....

giphy.gif

For his purpose, it's Karate chopping so what's the big deal. You don't even hit to the head, so what's the point?

what do you even mean by that. Kyokushin classes and Muay Thai classes are very similar in structure and intensity.

Probably a lot more punching in Kyokushin. One student said Kyokushin training is 60% punching.

what do you even mean by that. Kyokushin classes and Muay Thai classes are very similar in structure and intensity.

ok, the intensity is probably good and equal to MT....but the part about not training to punch to the face is a deal breaker for me. it encourage bad punching techniques.

no wonder that Karatekas who wanted better training, invented Kickboxing.

Last edited:
ok, the intensity is probably good and equal to MT....but the part about not training to punch to the face is a deal breaker for me. it encourage bad punching techniques.

no wonder that Karatekas who wanted better training, invented Kickboxing.

I do get what you're saying.

I don't think that extends to all of Karate though - JKA shotokan teaches perfectly fine punching technique. That's probably why we see more shotokan based fighters at the higher levels of MMA than kyokushin fighters for example - also I feel they have better distance management & general fundamentals than your average KK guy.

I do feel though that Kyokushin has excellent body punching technique - it's just the setups/entries are different when you can get punched in the face.

I don't think it's an issue if they cross-train boxing though.

There is also the advantage that Kyokushin is probably a lot healthier for your brain in the long term because there are no punches to the face (despite it being less realistic).

I do get what you're saying.

I don't think that extends to all of Karate though - JKA shotokan teaches perfectly fine punching technique. That's probably why we see more shotokan based fighters at the higher levels of MMA than kyokushin fighters for example - also I feel they have better distance management & general fundamentals than your average KK guy.

I do feel though that Kyokushin has excellent body punching technique - it's just the setups/entries are different when you can get punched in the face.

I don't think it's an issue if they cross-train boxing though.

There is also the advantage that Kyokushin is probably a lot healthier for your brain in the long term because there are no punches to the face (despite it being less realistic).

Who besides Machida has a Shotokan base?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back