Progressive Rock/Metal, Power and Traditional Metal Thread

You're so sensitive, are you their manager? The only thing maiden overdoes is the storytelling and even that is usually limited to one or two tracks per album, but the music is still listenable and the songs aren't annoying.

All metal has solos, no one's criticized that, so the fact that you keep bringing it up is a poor attempt at deflection. You're obsession with turning everything back to Maiden shows your insecurity that less technical musicians have been immeasurably more successful than DT.

I just think you're being very unfair to a band that has alot to offer.

If you don't like them, fine, feel free to, but what you're saying about them isn't completely accurate and can be said about a band you use as your name and av, it's pointing out how inconsistent you're being.

Dave has been wanking on the guitar his whole career.
You really are an idiot. I've repeated several times that my criticism isn't related to solos, yet there you go again, crying about solos. If you think Killers is overdone then you're not even arguing from a position of sanity anymore. And Gers wasn't even around till Prayer, so stop obsessing over him.

The solo is a part of the song, the point I"m trying to make and you're not getting is that there are tons of Dream Theater songs where the only "wanking" going on is in the solo, yet to you "All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others." and are "A bunch of Malmsteens fucking around" - paraphrasing. Both statements are bullshit and straight up ignorant.

I know Gers wasn't around during the Killers era, I'm pointing out to you that the Murray solo is nothing but wankery, the titular track to the album you like so much you made it your avatar.

I just think you're being very unfair to a band that has alot to offer.

If you don't like them, fine, feel free to, but what you're saying about them isn't completely accurate and can be said about a band you use as your name and av, it's pointing out how inconsistent you're being.

Dave has been wanking on the guitar his whole career.

The solo is a part of the song, the point I"m trying to make and you're not getting is that there are tons of Dream Theater songs where the only "wanking" going on is in the solo, yet to you "All their songs sound like a protracted circle jerk with each guy trying to outdo the others." and are "A bunch of Malmsteens fucking around" - paraphrasing. Both statements are bullshit and straight up ignorant.

I know Gers wasn't around during the Killers era, I'm pointing out to you that the Murray solo is nothing but wankery, the titular track to the album you like so much you made it your avatar.

Jesus there you go talking about solos again. You really are fucking dense. And no sane person has ever compared maiden to DT when it come to overdone pretentious shit. Dickinson's a bit of knob but musically they've always been solid and listenable, which is why they have the fanbase they do which is probably second only to Metallica in metal.

Last edited:

The riffage and Britney's vocals are out of this world.

slayes10.jpg

Plus it's quite the bonus that she's drop dead gorgeous.

I'm late to this thread... I was a huge progressive nerd growing up. 2 of my favorites:

And one more for good measure. Alphataurus is a criminally underrated band:

No one's disputing their technical proficiency, but most of their tracks sound like a group of Malmsteens showing off.
Malmsteen is a genius and I love his stuff. If you are using his name negatively, I think we just have different tastes in Music. "Going overboard" is a staple of true Beethoven progressive types.

This is largely considered one of the greatest pieces of music of all time.

It cannot even be properly played on a guitar, but some people have done versions of it.

Would I be correct in assuming you find this to be "Going overboard"?

My guess is you would lean towards the more "Mozart" influenced progressive works.

There is nothing wrong with having a preference, but quit insulting those who lean towards the Beethoven side of progressive.

When I hear Malmsteen playing Arpeggios from hell, that sort of thing vastly appeals to me.

The riffage and Britney's vocals are out of this world.

slayes10.jpg

Plus it's quite the bonus that she's drop dead gorgeous.

Not bad.

Not a fan of the male growling vocals at times in a few songs I sampled. But she has a pretty good voice and they do have some good music

Same reason I sometimes dislike Epica songs. Simone has a great voice, but when Mark Jansen starts growling, it kills the song for me.

The reason I prefer nightwish is because Marco's Clean vocals paired with Floor's (best female vocalist in the world IMO, superior to Tarja) is perfect.

I know some people love the growled vocals, so I am not hating, Just saying it is not my cup of tea.

Jesus there you go talking about solos again. You really are fucking dense. And no sane person has ever compared maiden to DT when it come to overdone pretentious shit. Dickinson's a bit of knob but musically they've always been solid and listenable, which is why they have the fanbase they do which is probably second only to Metallica in metal.
What does fanbase have to do with it? All it implies is that the music appeals to the more mainstream audience. Which is fine, but not indicative of much.

Avenged Sevenfold has moved into position as one of the most popular metal bands of all time.
Britney Spears has sold more albums than Metallica in half the time.

etc etc

Not bad.

Not a fan of the male growling vocals at times in a few songs I sampled. But she has a pretty good voice and they do have some good music

Same reason I sometimes dislike Epica songs. Simone has a great voice, but when Mark Jansen starts growling, it kills the song for me.

The reason I prefer nightwish is because Marco's Clean vocals paired with Floor's (best female vocalist in the world IMO, superior to Tarja) is perfect.

I know some people love the growled vocals, so I am not hating, Just saying it is not my cup of tea.
I think theyd do better if they didn't have the growled vocals.

I enjoy the dichotomy sometimes, Opeth, Enslaved and a few others do it well, but it's gotta hit me right. I find these are too trebly, too "Black Metal" to be mixed well with the anthemic Power Metal that's predominantly going on.

My interest in distorted vocals has really waned over the years. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but someone has to be truly great at it for me to appreciate.

What does fanbase have to do with it? All it implies is that the music appeals to the more mainstream audience. Which is fine, but not indicative of much.

Avenged Sevenfold has moved into position as one of the most popular metal bands of all time.

etc etc
I honestly wouldn't even bother responding too the guy.

Made that mistake already. All it did was derail the thread and waste my time.

The guy clearly hasn't heard enough of DT to really comment, so he's coming from a place of ignorance and he just doesn't like technique nor is he open to different song structure/progressive music.

I honestly wouldn't even bother responding too the guy.

Made that mistake already. All it did was derail the thread and waste my time.

The guy clearly hasn't heard enough of DT to really comment, so he's coming from a place of ignorance and he just doesn't like technique nor is he open to different song structure/progressive music.
Hey, I am not getting rustled over all that. I just have a feeling the guy does not have a real understanding of "progressive" to begin with. his expression of disdain for Malmsteen kinda gave that away.

Fans of progressive can walk into a bar that is playing Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc and probably sit and have a few drinks and shoot the breeze without batting an eye. I have a feeling he falls more into the category that would consider it elevator music and want them to play the MTV station in the background instead.

I love Maiden myself, and all the Anthem style slightly progressive formulaic mayhem they wrought in my youth. My only complaint is the drums in every song were almost identical with not a lot of improvisation lol. The "Maiden Gallop" is what we used to call it. And as I got older, I just branched out to more true progressive metal. Maiden's "A matter of life and death" was one of their best records and also probably their most progressive, but I have a feeling this guy probably does not hold it up as one of their best works.

Him coming into the "Progressive and power Metal" thread and insulting Malmsteen and Dream Theater should probably be enough clue of that. He might as well go into the Rap thread and start insulting all rap artists.

If people like old Maiden, they would probably like Bloodbound's first CD.

Hey, I am not getting rustled over all that. I just have a feeling the guy does not have a real understanding of "progressive" to begin with. his expression of disdain for Malmsteen kinda gave that away.

Fans of progressive can walk into a bar that is playing Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc and probably sit and have a few drinks and shoot the breeze without batting an eye. I have a feeling he falls more into the category that would consider it elevator music and want them to play the MTV station in the background instead.

I love Maiden myself, and all the Anthem style slightly progressive formulaic mayhem they wrought in my youth. My only complaint is the drums in every song were almost identical with not a lot of improvisation lol. The "Maiden Gallop" is what we used to call it. And as I got older, I just branched out to more true progressive metal. Maiden's "A matter of life and death" was one of their best records and also probably their most progressive, but I have a feeling this guy probably does not hold it up as one of their best works.

Him coming into the "Progressive and power Metal" thread and insulting Malmsteen and Dream Theater should probably be enough clue of that. He might as well go into the Rap thread and start insulting all rap artists.

If people like old Maiden, they would probably like Bloodbound's first CD.

The guy likes what he likes, but he comes across close minded and can't see past what he doesn't understand.

As a musician I find myself longing for prog, it's just more open minded and original.

When Metal is your primary style of music like it is for me, I think people often end up looking at Prog down the line, simply because it's so open it really doesn't get old the way alot of other styles do.

etc etc

Britney isn't metal.

Malmsteen is a genius and I love his stuff. If you are using his name negatively, I think we just have different tastes in Music. "Going overboard" is a staple of true Beethoven progressive types.

Malmsteen is as famous for his ego, self-love, and over-playing as he is for his skill.

This is largely considered one of the greatest pieces of music of all time.

It cannot even be properly played on a guitar, but some people have done versions of it.

Would I be correct in assuming you find this to be "Going overboard"?

My guess is you would lean towards the more "Mozart" influenced progressive works.

There is nothing wrong with having a preference, but quit insulting those who lean towards the Beethoven side of progressive.

When I hear Malmsteen playing Arpeggios from hell, that sort of thing vastly appeals to me.

Malmsteen is as famous for his ego, self-love, and over-playing as he is for his skill.

Britney isn't metal.
I don't think "metal" has anything to do with it.
Grindcore metal is as different from Iron Maiden as Britney spears is. The fanbases of those subgenres of music are completely different.

It is not difficult to surmise that some music speaks to others in a way it does not to you. But you chose to come into the progressive thread and insult one of the most critically acclaimed Progressive bands and one of the greatest neoclassical composers of our lifetime to ever exist simply because the music does not speak to you.

For that matter, where do you rank the Iron Maiden Album "A matter of life and death"? Which is their most progressive album. I suspect it it not in your top 5

I can think of hundreds of people who were great at what they do who have giant ego's and self love. Titanic self confidence propels a lot of people to greater heights.

Malmsteen has sold 56 million albums to people who love his "overplaying" so obviously he is doing something right. Sure it is half of Iron Maiden's 110 million albums sold worldwide, but it is still a significant enough number to say one man with a revolving door of helpers sold half as many records as one of the greatest metal bands of all time based strictly on his guitar playing and composition.

Malmsteen's character is fairly indefensible. The guy is a prick. But I don't listen to him talk. I listen to his music.

Last edited:
Not the biggest traditional metal fan, but these dudes are pretty cool:

Not the biggest traditional metal fan, but these dudes are pretty cool:

Good old Japanese Metal lol.

Being half Japanese I did listen to a bunch of them back in the day.

For their timeframe, you would probably like the band Loudness too.

But the best Japanese Metal band for me will always be X, or X-Japan

Back