Who is the most talented fighter: Blaydes, Ngannou or Stipe?

Good point. Semantics... but then again, semantics matter. I think I agree with you.
Yeah, wasnt being inflammatory, I just thought thats what you meant. Instead of the sarcastic "fixed it for ya" bullshit. Lol

I've considered Blaydes the superior prospect in comparison to N'Gannou ever since they fought.

Yes, I know Blaydes lost, but he impressed the shit out of me by doing so well coming off of a fight less than 2 months prior, and also taking the fight on short notice with only 3 weeks of preparation.

I've considered Blaydes the superior prospect in comparison to N'Gannou ever since they fought.

Yes, I know Blaydes lost, but he impressed the shit out of me by doing so well coming off of a fight less than 2 months prior, and also taking the fight on short notice with only 3 weeks of preparation.
Plus his name is cooler.

The last fighters Stipe faced who were in their primes were Roy Nelson and Struve, and he lost to Struve. Stipe himself wasnt in his prime then, though.

You can do that for Cain as well, and Nog, and Sylvia, etc

You can do that for Cain as well, and Nog, and Sylvia, etc

Sure, Stipe still has pretty exceptional run against out of prime opponents (9 fights in a row). Its not his fault, though, that HW division has been lacking young talents the last few years.

Thats fair, my pick would probably be Ngannou as well. But his cardio is a huge problem, and Im not sure he can ever improve that enough.

IDK either. His training sounds to be another problem, and he seems loyal to his coach...

I think he's got a lot of similarities with Sokodjou, both very talented, but didn't evolve past a certain point mostly because of mindset.

Ages at the time of the fights: Werdum 38, Overeem 36, Oliynyk 40

Years as a pro at the time of the fight (On average fighters start to decline around 10 years as a pro): Oliynyk 20, Overeem 17, Werdum 14

Fights as a pro at the time of the fight: Oliynyk 63, Overeem 56 (+K1 career), Werdum 26.

They were all out of their primes. Just because HW division today is so bad doesnt mean those old farts at the top of the division are in their primes. Sorry to burst your bubble, buddeh.
A prime shouldn't be judged on averages it should be when the fighter has their best form and greatest collection of wins

A prime shouldn't be judged on averages it should be when the fighter has their best form and greatest collection of wins

True, as long as it doesnt happen just by staring at the names on fighters record while ignoring the context, like many are doing now with Stipes current run. Otherwise we could just as well call Sonnen an all time great LHW now because his last three wins are Rampage, Wanderlei and Shogun.

Do we now judge "a better athlete" by eye test? We just watched a one dimensional fighter throw 20 whiffs and 5 connectors, then gas out in 3 minutes.
That's how "better athlete" is defined now? GTFOH.
What's "better"? Lifting 500 lbs. 5x's or 100 lbs. 100x's?

War Stipe.

Do we now judge "a better athlete" by eye test? We just watched a one dimensional fighter throw 20 whiffs and 5 connectors, then gas out in 3 minutes.
That's how "better athlete" is defined now? GTFOH.
What's "better"? Lifting 500 lbs. 5x's or 100 lbs. 100x's?

War Stipe.
Exactly.

How is Stipe not the better athlete? This is absolutely insane to me that Dana can brainwash everyone to think Francis is the better athlete. I would bet that Stipe is better than Francis in every single sport there is.

Geez, people on here must think bodybuilders are the worlds greatest athletes. Stipe has a far more athletic background. If he wasn't white, he would probably be touted as one of the best athletes to ever compete in mma...

Obviously the naswer is Stipe but Blaydes is the most promising young HW at the moment.

If he gets past Hunt, which I doubt, we'll have to say he is legit.

Since you can't know for sure how good they will be, judge it by their first 4 years. Frank's shown more talent in those than Stipe or Blaydes, and he's clearly the best athlete out of them.

I keep hearing this but in what world is he a great athlete?

Wow he has big muscles & hits hard, great! But he has no cardio and in a catch 22 situation as if he gains cardio he'll be losing mass & strength. Now stories are coming out that he doesn't like to train the ground game so guy has no fight IQ either.

Stipe is the best because he's the champion/

I keep hearing this but in what world is he a great athlete?

Wow he has big muscles & hits hard, great! But he has no cardio and in a catch 22 situation as if he gains cardio he'll be losing mass & strength. Now stories are coming out that he doesn't like to train the ground game so guy has no fight IQ either.

Stipe is the best because he's the champion/

I gauge athletic potential based on perceived combine numbers, not cardio.

Explosiveness (vertical, short sprint, quick turns)
Power (punching power, overall strength)

Stipe doesn't seem to have special talent or even natural gifts, but he has showed to be smart, adapt well and stick to a gameplan.

Ngannous has the physical gift, and coming from a non fighting background, he's come quite far and quite fast.

Blaydes is Young, but is naturally big and comes from a Wrestling background. Not sure if it's talent or hard work and discipline, but he seems to be tough dude too. But still a lot to learn

You don't think stipe and blaydes are gifted and naturally talented athletes?

They couldn't have had the athletic careers they've had and stipe would not be who he is without being an athletic freak!

You don't get 12 varsity letters in high school ,play two division 1 college sports, win golden gloves,fight future heavyweight boxing championship contenders and the reigning defending record breaking champion of the heavyweight division and have the second most ko's in the history of the division all having a day job fighting fires by gameplanning,being smart or sheer willpower...ridiculous

Back