Military Roll Call! Veterans, GTFIH!

Lol nice

Yeah I think I would be really good at it. I’m an aircraft maintenance guy sitting in the office as the section chief that runs night shift so I’m probably already doing about 50% of the first sgts job as is.
They use to have shirt training that last a few days. After you completed that you could fill in as an acting shirt, get the cellphone past to you and be the shirt while the real one was TDY or on leave or because they got fired. I would highly suggest you do that first if you’re a tech or above.

They use to have shirt training that last a few days. After you completed that you could fill in as an acting shirt, get the cellphone past to you and be the shirt while the real one was TDY or on leave or because they got fired. I would highly suggest you do that first if you’re a tech or above.

I’m scheduled for the March class for the symposium. I sew master on in July so taking the necessary steps now.

I also do the shirt’s mentorship seminars for night shift and ACA/feedback training so the dude can actually get some sleep.

Aircraft maintenance is 24 hr ops w 12-14 hr shifts. His work day is already trash without having to spend a bunch of time on nights.

Question for you air force dudes. Why do air force 1SGs move outside of their AFSC to serve in that position? I've seen E7 and E8 air force 1SGs, can you ride that rank through several units/ranks?

Definitely seems to be a much different role than an Army 1SG.

Also welcome to the SNCO ranks.

The entire army needs to feel special, black berets, cab, there's a push for an eab, the amount of patches and flair is ridiculous.

Marines got it right, name rank - maybe wings and dive bubble, no other bullshit.

That being said, it did feel good to be a PFC with a CIB, Air Assault Wings, and unit combat patch... especially when most of the more experienced NCO's (at the time, just shortly after 9/11) we had incoming had nothing on their chest.

That being said, it did feel good to be a PFC with a CIB, Air Assault Wings, and unit combat patch... especially when most of the more experienced NCO's (at the time, just shortly after 9/11) we had incoming had nothing on their chest.

Oh yeah, I had to wear CIB and airborne wings, on every uniform, I had to have my maroon beret in one pocket, pc in the other, and in the winter a beanie. If the Plt Sgt saw a guy with out his shit sewed on he would have your ass.

I'm all for the flair, in dress uniform, tab patch ribbon go nuts. But in the combat uniform I think it's over the top.

That being said the story behind the green beret and how was cut from a pool table, worn unauthorized until JFK himself awarded it to the unit. So I mean there's a tremendous amount of history behind some of these things. I feel like we keep adding to it, jungle tabs, combat advisor? Are you fucking kidding me?

Question for you air force dudes. Why do air force 1SGs move outside of their AFSC to serve in that position? I've seen E7 and E8 air force 1SGs, can you ride that rank through several units/ranks?

Definitely seems to be a much different role than an Army 1SG.

Also welcome to the SNCO ranks.
I’ll take a stab. First sgt in the AF is considered a special duty. Three year tour and done. Unless you extend for another tour. So it’s not really a rsnk like in the Army or USMC. I’m sure it might be possible to become a first sgt while E-7 and then make E-8 while while still a first sgt.
Or E-8 to E-9.
As to why they are in different units than their own? Air Force need. They are not considered SME in that career field. Just there to provide and act as a liaison between the CO and enlisted. Get a good gauge on the health of enlisted in the unit, bail dudes out of jail, work with JAG or airmen’s defense council etc.
correct me if I’m wrong @J Danger
@Strychnine

Oh yeah, I had to wear CIB and airborne wings, on every uniform, I had to have my maroon beret in one pocket, pc in the other, and in the winter a beanie. If the Plt Sgt saw a guy with out his shit sewed on he would have your ass.

I'm all for the flair, in dress uniform, tab patch ribbon go nuts. But in the combat uniform I think it's over the top.

That being said the story behind the green beret and how was cut from a pool table, worn unauthorized until JFK himself awarded it to the unit. So I mean there's a tremendous amount of history behind some of these things. I feel like we keep adding to it, jungle tabs, combat advisor? Are you fucking kidding me?

Yeah it has gone a bit over the top. It seemed once the Rangers lost their black berets, a lot of b.s. followed.

The parade will be great
27657380_2046299325613899_909800149633507945_n.png.jpg

Last edited:
I’ll take a stab. First sgt in the AF is considered a special duty. Three year tour and done. Unless you extend for another tour. So it’s not really a rsnk like in the Army or USMC. I’m sure it might be possible to become a first sgt while E-7 and then make E-8 while while still a first sgt.
Or E-8 to E-9.
As to why they are in different units than their own? Air Force need. They are not considered SME in that career field. Just there to provide and act as a liaison between the CO and enlisted. Get a good gauge on the health of enlisted in the unit, bail dudes out of jail, work with JAG or airmen’s defense council etc.
@Strychnine

Pretty much hit the mark with your explanation. The only thing I’ll add is that it’s a four year tour now.

The only real con to doing the job is that it is extremely hard to promote out of first sgt duty.

Personally I feel like if you want to be a first sgt like I do than you shouldn’t be doing it to try and promote. The whole purpose of the job is to look out for your unit and your people. Since I’m ahead of the curve on rank right now, I feel like “slowing down” to “speed up” would be an acceptable risk. First sgt duty will look great for E-8 boards after I finish the tour.

Or E-8 to E-9.
@Strychnine

You nailed it.

I have seen a Chief MSgt First Sgt's but only like two in my 24 years of AD.

If the Plt Sgt saw a guy with out his shit sewed on he would have your ass.

Than he was an idiot. By regulation you only need name tab, U.S. Army tab, and current unit patch on your ACU. BDU back in my days. No need to advertise your 'resume' or be a 'billboard'. A had one NCO who was Ranger and Airborne qualified and didn't wear either. One of the sharpest guy I had the pleasure to work with. He just loved the expression on people's face when he was asked about and told them he was a Ranger. It was not about the past but about proving yourself again-and-again in the present and future.

Is a soldier any less of a soldier if he is not Airborne, Ranger, and CIB qualified?

'Momy' is not wearing a bra and has some big breasts! Where do you come up with this shit? Yeah, the last thing veterans need is a parade. How about fixing the Veteran's Administration. Keep them from dying of suicide at the rate of 20 a day.

Than he was an idiot. By regulation you only need name tab, U.S. Army tab, and current unit patch on your ACU. BDU back in my days. No need to advertise your 'resume' or be a 'billboard'. A had one NCO who was Ranger and Airborne qualified and didn't wear either. One of the sharpest guy I had the pleasure to work with. He just loved the expression on people's face when he was asked about and told them he was a Ranger. It was not about the past but about proving yourself again-and-again in the present and future.

Is a soldier any less of a soldier if he is not Airborne, Ranger, and CIB qualified?

Bro I know you were a MAJ and all, but don't presume that guy was an idiot - or that I was not also in when BDU's were standard. Some of the greatest NCOs I have ever met cared about things like tradition and uniform wear/appearance. Gripe as I might about some of the BS, it had its purpose.

In the 82nd you wear the CIB / EIB and airborne wings end of story. AR 670-1 can be added to but not taken away from. What I'm saying is it was a Division standard that has stood since the 82nd was an airborne unit, 173rd, 25th (Alaska) and Ranger regiment are the same. SF varies from place to place and since I left the RA, I don't sew anything on, just wear the tabs. I have never, ever, met a person who did not choose to wear their Ranger tab. I guess that was his choice but it's pretty rare.

Qualifications are an indicator but the judgement of a persons competency takes more than a snap look at a patch. But, I will say the tabbed team leaders ect. in the 82nd were typically better than non-tabbed. But that's a generality of a time when every squad leader, plt sgt, had 20-30 months minimium time in no shit combat.

Last edited:
United States Army

Military Police

October 2009 to March 2013

Guantanamo, JBLM, and Afghanistan

Qualifications are an indicator but the judgement of a persons competency takes more than a snap look at a patch.

Agreed. The NCO and I were in the Reserve at the time. He would wear all his awards with his Class A uniform. Yeah, being active duty with the 82nd without your wings would look pretty stupid. Sad part were the Marines who made it through Ranger school and could not wear the tab. Never really understood that.

Wooks no longer have to pass the combat endurance test to become infantry officers.

Christ! Are you still in the Marines? So, a female 2nd Lieutenant leading her Platoon of 45+ men in combat. That's a recipe for disaster. Thank God for Platoon sergeants, Squad leaders, and Team leaders. They will certainly make up for any deficiencies.

Christ! Are you still in the Marines? So, a female 2nd Lieutenant leading her Platoon of 45+ men in combat. That's a recipe for disaster. Thank God for Platoon sergeants, Squad leaders, and Team leaders. They will certainly make up for any deficiencies.
It will be 10 years of freedom in June.

I love how they said none of the standards would change. Then, they change the fucking standards as quietly they could. Gotta love politics.

Back