Rockhold should change to a grappling heavy gameplan

You’re not talking about Roger Gracie are you?

Nope the guy under got it, Jorge Gurgel.

Complete badass, high level black belt bjj but refused to do anything but stand and bang. Legit self- sabotaged his career

- Rockhold should learn takedowns
- Condit should learn takedown defense
- Ngannou should do cardio
- every fighter should learn something

Too bad they dont listen to us, sherdoggers!

He should. He made Bisping look helpless that first fight.

Shame his defense is trash.

In all your examples someone either shot in on Luke or he first hurt them standing. Luke isn't great at take downs and against someone like Yoel it simply isn't an option.
This. He has never shown a strong TD game. I actually don't remember him ever trying to take anyone down.

Last edited:
Agreed. He's doing the same thing that this other fighter used to do about 6-7 years back. Forgot the dude's name but he was a Maia level Jiu Jitsu blackbelt, but insisted on standing and banging with guys, and lost a ton of fights because of it. I believe he was a LHW.

Gurgel?

I think he was a WW tho

Jorge Gurgel

Gurgel evidently had fantastic BJJ, but he was nothing compared to Magalhaes. Magalhaes had a very decorated grappling career. Hell, the guy beat Werdum in the ADCC. Tapped out Chris Weidman with a flying armbar. He was a GREAT grappler.

Homie has almost Khabib-like top pressure and GnP.
Based on his results when he gets top control, I'd venture to say he's even better than Khabib once there. Khabib takes guys down every fight and lives on top, yet has gone to many decisions. Rockhold annihilates people when on top. Difference between him and Khabib is that Khabib seems to be considerably smarter and builds his whole game around his top game. Meanwhile, Rockhold seems to think he's amazing on the feet and only takes people down as an afterthought. Also, because Khabib pressures people and they know how good he is on the ground, they're cautious throwing, so it's harder to KO him, whereas Rockhold puts no pressure so nobody's going to worry about getting taken down. He really does need to revisit his game.

I mean, standing isn't really working, is it? we know he got great kicks

Td6eIdW.gif

but he has like the best grappling in the division by far (ok jacaré might have something to say about that), but other than him, he has superb ground skills. he just needs to focus taking people down, especially when his striking skills and his chin is failing him

he already know khabib so he could try to organize spending months in dagestan just grinding his ass off with the best wrestlers in the world. spend months there. go there to upgrade your wrestling, don't depend just of things like retarded spinning kick attempts, failed takedown attempts, slips and rocked fighters to use advantage of your grappling, initiate the takedown too

Rockhold-vs-Bisping-gif.gif

ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

PitifulNecessaryCougar.gif

luke, you still have another way to capture a UFC belt, use it wisely

LR_AKA.jpg

He doesn't have the offensive wrestling nor the cardio for it.

Even sadder is that the guy trained for years with two guys who put a lot of wrestling pressure on opponents and grind them. Seems he's learned nothing from them because he thinks he's some amazing striker and doesn't need to grapple.

Even sadder is that the guy trained for years with two guys who put a lot of wrestling pressure on opponents and grind them. Seems he's learned nothing from them because he thinks he's some amazing striker and doesn't need to grapple.

He does have amazing counter wrestling.

And he probably has that because of training so much with Cain/Cormier/Khabib.

He does have amazing counter wrestling.

And he probably has that because of training so much with Cain/Cormier/Khabib.
Can't argue with that, but he could have learned much from how much they suffocate an opponent with their wrestling. Rockhold seems to always end on top via a counter, so if there's nothing to be countered he can't end up where he's strongest. You look at a guy like Weidman, he's not explosive and yet he almost always manages to get guys down. Rockhold doesn't even try. Maybe after this latest defeat he'll wake up.

Gurgel evidently had fantastic BJJ, but he was nothing compared to Magalhaes. Magalhaes had a very decorated grappling career. Hell, the guy beat Werdum in the ADCC. Tapped out Chris Weidman with a flying armbar. He was a GREAT grappler.

Was hoping he'd have a successful run in the ufc; when he got knocked out by the hippo of all people, you knew it wasn't going to happen. He used to post quite often on here too back in the day.

that's why I'm talking about going to dagestan to get some hardcore wrestling training. and rockhold doesn't have the cardio? unless USADA destroyed his conditioning, he would be a great guy to have a skillset like that

that's why I'm talking about going to dagestan to get some hardcore wrestling training. and rockhold doesn't have the cardio? unless USADA destroyed his conditioning, he would be a great guy to have a skillset like that

Rockhold was gassing vs Weidman.

I don't think Rockhold has the cardio to pursue a wrestling heavy offensive attack.

That takes more energy than defending takedowns or standing at a distance with a slow pace.

Agreed. He's doing the same thing that this other fighter used to do about 6-7 years back. Forgot the dude's name but he was a Maia level Jiu Jitsu blackbelt, but insisted on standing and banging with guys, and lost a ton of fights because of it. I believe he was a LHW.

Are you thinking of Jorge Gugel?

He's the poster boy for fancying yourself as a striker.

Rockhold was gassing vs Weidman.

I don't think Rockhold has the cardio to pursue a wrestling heavy offensive attack.

That takes more energy than defending takedowns or standing at a distance with a slow pace.
that was against weidman when he as allegedly on antibiotics. it was also his first fight post USADA, so there's that

that was against weidman when he as allegedly on antibiotics. it was also his first fight post USADA, so there's that

Good points.

We have to see more from Rockhold I guess but win or lose his fights generally don't last long.

Was really surprised he never tried to grapple Romero.

Sure Romero is an Olympian but he gives up takedowns very easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back