Opinion Should they ban assault weapons?

Should they ban assault weapons?

• Total voters
This doesn't happen in certain countries, some of which have gun control, so I do think that reducing access to firearms can help as it obviously has in places like Japan. No gun crime and far lower violent crime. Conservatives say that passing gun laws only affects law abiding citizens and not criminals but in Japan to be law abiding is a deeply ingrained social value so gun laws do work. Even the Yakuza are getting rid of theirs because of the legal liability they present.

I don't think that's possible in the US though, its just a different culture here. I don't really support further gun control. The only idea I've seen floated that seems acceptable is the law supported by the GOP and NRA in 2016 which would allow gun sales to those on watch lists to be frozen for 72 hours during which the Feds have to prove probably cause to a judge. I think its a decent compromise with the gun control advocates but even that law wouldn't have prevented this tragedy it seems.

I agree with those saying we should expand mental health access but for different reasons. I think even if you expand access some people will still slip through the cracks. Some of the shooters did have access to mental health services and still did what they did. The reason I agree is because it would be very helpful on a host of more mundane issues like depression, anxiety, substance abuse etc.

Are you using Japan as an example because you think the lower ownership of guns is a causal reason for their low crime?

As an addition, if you recognize how "watch lists" have served us for flying, I don't especially place too much faith in their execution.

Good luck with that.
Thanks. Good luck with thinking that you're somehow more committed to Democracy and the Constitution because you have a different reading of the 2nd Amendment than I do.

Thanks. Good luck with thinking that you're somehow more committed to Democracy and the Constitution because you have a different reading of the 2nd Amendment than I do.

What reading is that? The one where you straight up ignore it?

There's no "other reading" you silly fool. It's the most concise and clear amendment there is, supported by its authors in a slew of other contexts both in words and actions.

Homer, you can't even define what an assault weapon is.

I guess if he agrees the feds can decide who can say what on the internet (since the founders never could have envisioned such a tool) he'll be consistent. Otherwise it's pretty clear he wants what he wants, regardless of Constitutionality.

I’m actually on your side for once in the war room. How can there possibly be a need for assault weapons for self defence?

That was a nice ass on page one. Perfect.
Maybe too perfect.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's for keeping militias, dummy.

No they're not. There's no national gun registry that tracks firearm ownership. Are you daft?

You should tell the state of Hawaii they're not really registered when people come in and register them.

You're the dude who liked a post saying civilians couldn't get full-auto since 1934. Maybe you should learn the laws before you propose more Constitutional infringements.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

It's for keeping militias, dummy.

You're about to get your shit pushed in. Your choice from whom. I promise I'll use a liberal amount of lube though....

Countries have self control over their nuclear armament... Nuclear armed Sovereign nations don't go to war with other nuclear armed nations principally because of the mutual risk involved, wouldn't you agree?
Because they are rational actors. That is very important and it's part of my argument.

I want to highlight your first point though. I agree. Criminals aren't thinking rationally or clearly, which is why it makes no sense to advertise a soft target. Someone looking to do some sadistic shit isn't going to be dissuaded from doing that by signage outside a school or other establishment. A "no weapons" sign, however, is going to dissuade someone like me... the person capable of stopping someone from doing some sadistic shit (because I'm an Internet tough guy and all).
I get all of the reasons for the arms race, and they are rational, but the equilibrium is accomplished through violence, which leaves us with a far higher violence potential.

Back