The Russian Propaganda Campaign

HomerThompson

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This thread is about the Russian propaganda campaign that occurred during our election. I want to talk specifically about the different methods they used, and compare them to historical examples of similar tactics, as well as look at data analytics and its key role in this effort from Russia to help Trump win the Presidency.

This thread is not about the Russia investigation, we already have a thread for that.

OK, I will start off by posting the full text of Mueller's Russian indictments, just because it has the methods explained therein, and therefore, it's a good reference point for the propaganda techniques used.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

Also, this article from CNN is about some of the people duped by the Internet Research Agency:

A Donald Trump supporter who unwittingly helped a Kremlin-linked operation to meddle in American politics says he only learned of his part in the Russian plot when the FBI showed up at his doorstep months later.
Harry Miller was paid as much as $1,000 by the Russians to build a cage that was used to depict a person dressed as Hillary Clinton in a prison cell at a rally in West Palm Beach, Florida in August 2016.

The stunt was part of an elaborate scheme run by the Internet Research Agency, a troll group in St Petersburg, Russia with links to the Kremlin, that was designed to undermine the American political system, according to a new federal indictment. The agency and thirteen Russian nationals associated with it were named in the indictment, which was made public by Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office on Friday.

In early August 2016, the indictment says, the Internet Research Agency began reaching out to Trump supporters in Florida to organize a statewide "flashmob" that it dubbed "Florida goes Trump."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/20/media/internet-research-agency-unwitting-trump-supporters/index.html

Think the techniques used were very sophisticated, and well executed. I will be doing breakdowns in posts as the thread develops.

Again, this thread isn't about the investigation, or if you think Russia interfered or not. Russia did interfere, and we even have a good look at some of their techniques thanks to this recent indictment. So, let's discuss!

Kids on the internet have used these tactics every day since 1985. They're really sophisticated if youre a rube.

This thread is about the Russian propaganda campaign that occurred during our election. I want to talk specifically about the different methods they used, and compare them to historical examples of similar tactics, as well as look at data analytics and its key role in this effort from Russia to help Trump win the Presidency.

This thread is not about the Russia investigation, we already have a thread for that.

OK, I will start off by posting the full text of Mueller's Russian indictments, just because it has the methods explained therein, and therefore, it's a good reference point for the propaganda techniques used.

https://www.justice.gov/file/1035477/download

Also, this article from CNN is about some of the people duped by the Internet Research Agency:

A Donald Trump supporter who unwittingly helped a Kremlin-linked operation to meddle in American politics says he only learned of his part in the Russian plot when the FBI showed up at his doorstep months later.
Harry Miller was paid as much as $1,000 by the Russians to build a cage that was used to depict a person dressed as Hillary Clinton in a prison cell at a rally in West Palm Beach, Florida in August 2016.

The stunt was part of an elaborate scheme run by the Internet Research Agency, a troll group in St Petersburg, Russia with links to the Kremlin, that was designed to undermine the American political system, according to a new federal indictment. The agency and thirteen Russian nationals associated with it were named in the indictment, which was made public by Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office on Friday.

In early August 2016, the indictment says, the Internet Research Agency began reaching out to Trump supporters in Florida to organize a statewide "flashmob" that it dubbed "Florida goes Trump."

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/20/media/internet-research-agency-unwitting-trump-supporters/index.html

Think the techniques used were very sophisticated, and well executed. I will be doing breakdowns in posts as the thread develops.

Again, this thread isn't about the investigation, or if you think Russia interfered or not. Russia did interfere, and we even have a good look at some of their techniques thanks to this recent indictment. So, let's discuss!

Ok, let's discuss the techniques Russia used to help Jill Stein and Bernie.

Got any sources on those techniques?

I ask because I would love it if people would start asking why Russia was anti-Hillary. That is a question I would love to see an answer to.

And I mean let's get specific. If you think it was because russia feared something specifically about Hillary clinton, explain exactly how either stein, Bernie, or trump didn't hold a position that was even more hostile to Russian interests.

See I have this theory about how the Russians were anti-hillary, not because of hillary, but because of who supported her. Specifically certain war hawks, and banksters, and perhaps more importantly a billionaire with an interest in the ukraine.

Names like soros, kissinger, Blankfield, dimon, and Kegan.

Here's a specific example of how they could manipulate people. From these indictments we know @10_GOP was a Russian controlled twitter account. Twitter banned them 5 months ago. This was The Donald's response when it was banned: http://archive.is/axNIg

I think the way they used social media to further foment division in our country was brilliant. You can scoff at fake Twitter, and Facebook accounts all you want, but communication through social media is ubiquitous in modern society. They managed to spread disinformation to a huge audience with incredibly low risk to individual actors helping them.

This campaign was a lot easier than infiltrating groups and spreading disinformation within that you hope will splinter the group, and bleed out to the larger movement(whatever the advocacy is for). I'm specifically thinking about what the FBI did to leftist groups in the US in the 60's, and 70's.

I linked to the archived version. This is what happens if you go to the original thread as it now appears.

sub-buzz-15795-1478466641-5.png

Dead serious, instead of bitching about trump 24/7, the left should brush up on their Russian, fire up their social media, and do some Russian shitposting.

They’re not immune to the west’s influence on their youth.

Kids on the internet have used these tactics every day since 1985. They're really sophisticated if youre a rube.

Kids on the internet didn't have millions of dollars and illegally obtained confidential info at their disposal.

Unless those kids on COD really are as bad ass as they say.

I find the naivety of everyone involved that allowed Russia to influence opinion to be the most fascinating part of the propaganda narrative.

For example:

When Putin was Obama's problem, his approval was in the single digits among Conservatives, and since he became a rightful enemy of the left? It is I believe around a shameful 30%.

And what helped to trigger this? The media and the Obama Administration saw the Russian threat as a joke, until slowly turning about when Russia won a few real polotik conflicts with Russia, and then completely when the (already rather authoritarian in manner...) the Donald, ascended to Pennsylvania Ave.

The GOP and many talk radio allies are willing to kiss up to Putin for the Donald when he is in the White House.

The DEMS and many mainstream media allies are willing to be for Russia, before being against Russia, depending.

Russia, acting as a national agent provocateur in what I see as a limited sense, has still reaped a widening of our destructive political divide.

Their slight tremor activated a massive political earthquake terribly fracturing Blue/Red America and willing to have most activists and the politicians in their sway sell off even more of their credibility.

Dead serious, instead of bitching about trump 24/7, the left should brush up on their Russian, fire up their social media, and do some Russian shitposting.

They’re not immune to the west’s influence on their youth.
They actually (Washington Post I think?) interviewed one of the Russian trolls recently. He was like "who reads the comment sections in news articles? Everyone knows they're fake. Well, Russians do, I guess Americans don't."

Not really. The bulletin boards weren't like that. No video and ascii images are limited for a start.

Who really reads the comments under news articles, anyway? Especially when they were so obviously fake. People working there had no literary interest or abilities. These were mechanical texts. It was a colossal labor of monkeys, it was pointless. For Russian audiences, at least. But for Americans, it appears it did work. They aren’t used to this kind of trickery. They live in a society in which it’s accepted to answer for your words.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eing-in-orwells-world/?utm_term=.a084ceda31cc

Anyone who dismisses the Russian social media campaign to interfere with the election as ineffective simultaneously dismisses a $600 billion global advertising industry as ineffective. Laughing at the effectiveness of ad dollars only reveals you've never really understood how or what advertising is or why it works.

Oh here I am saying that if you believe something Trump believers believe, that you must be ignorant. Common thread with these folks, beating a dead horse etc etc etc.

Back