Locked TV Show Thread 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, how the fuck do you get Muppets wrong? Oh yeah, make it mean-spirited. That sound you could hear over it was Jim Henson's ashes trying to find a grave to roll in.

I just finished Star Trek: Discovery.

I honestly don't understand the complaints. Well... I do understand the complaints. I just don't agree.

At first, I wasn't feeling the whole "alternate universe" thing, but that's more because of my distaste for the trope, and not necessarily because of how Discovery handled it. Afterwards, when I realized just where they were going with it, I was really enjoying their execution. I also love their version of the Klingons. Besides being far more alien looking, I love that 90% of their dialogue is in the Klingon language. I also like how the main character of the series isn't the captain of the ship, for once. The production values and aesthetics look superb.

My only real gripes with the series are seeing Ash Tyler's betrayal coming a mile away, and the other has more to do with the general theme of Star Trek in general, than Discovery proper, in that I cringe at all of the idealism. I prefer sci fi shows more grounded in the ugly reality of life, like Expanse for example.

Lastly, I know she's not a classic beauty, but Tilly would get it.

Last edited:
its odd how nowadays in remakes they change the race of the star, like Annie was played by a black girl in the remake. will smiths kid was the new daniel laruso. now a mexican plays the white magnum. hmmm.... just to please sjws? ie ghostbusters remake?

its odd how nowadays in remakes they change the race of the star, like Annie was played by a black girl in the remake. will smiths kid was the new daniel laruso. now a mexican plays the white magnum. hmmm.... just to please sjws? ie ghostbusters remake?
Maybe because studios realize that they shouldn't cater to just white people anymore?

Last edited:
I doubt appealing to a small section of the internet makes for good business.

First Teaser Trailer for THE EXPANSE Season 3; Returns April 11, 2018

THE DARK TOWER TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

The film adaptation may have been a dud, but the Dark Tower TV series is moving forward, and it’s found a home. Amazon has picked up the rights to the series, along with a slew of other titles, in their quest to beat Netflix with original streaming content.

After the big screen adaptation of Stephen King‘s The Dark Tower bombed at the box office and was met with almost universal scorn, I was certain the rumored Dark Tower TV series was dead. But The Dark Tower lives, and it’s found a home at Amazon. Per Deadline, Amazon is moving full-steam-ahead on snapping up sci-fi and fantasy novels to turn them into an original series.

We’ve already learned about Amazon’s huge Lord of the Rings TV series deal. In addition to that, they’ve nabbed the rights to Iain M. Banks’ sci-fi Culture book series, Terry Pratchett’s Discworld, Neal Stephenson’s Snowcrash, and, yes – Stephen King’s Dark Tower.

Turning The Dark Tower into a TV series makes a lot more sense than a film. The books are loaded with rich, complex mythology that is better served serialized. If done right, this could be the next Game of Thrones – something Amazon is desperate to make happen. Part of the reported reason they threw a ton of cash at the Lord of the Rings series was because Amazon founder Jeff Bezos wanted Amazon to have their own Thrones.

There are no further details on the Amazon series, but it was reported that former The Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara was hired as the showrunner. Before The Dark Tower hit theaters, director Nikolaj Arcel revealed he wrote part of the pilot episode, and claimed the series would be much more canonical than the film. He also said it would serve as a prequel

‘The Dark Tower’ TV Series Somehow Still Alive, Lands at Amazon

First Teaser Trailer for THE EXPANSE Season 3; Returns April 11, 2018

Fuck, that reminds me I still need to watch season 2. Hopefully it doesn't take Netflix UK six months to put season 3 up after it finished in the US.

Amazon have Discworld? The ones Sky did were pretty good, so they've got some work to do there.

Fuck, that reminds me I still need to watch season 2. Hopefully it doesn't take Netflix UK six months to put season 3 up after it finished in the US.
Seriously, if you even halfway enjoyed the first season, you are going to LOVE the second.

The difference in overall quality, from acting, special effects, to the plot is staggering. If it didn't have the same characters, it would almost feel like a different show.

Good, good. That 2016 Muppets series was pretty bad and went against the essence of the brand.

It was ill-conceived. Tried to merge the sensibilities of The Office with The Muppets which is a random idea and didn't feel organic. Then they tried to retool and make it more Muppet-esque with less of an "edge" and it still didn't feel right.

The funny thing is the Muppets have been funny without having to try to be more "hip." I caught some of The Great Muppet Caper on cable- some hilarious moments in that. It's gag after gag and not everything hits but the ones that do are good and not corny, only kids would find it funny good.

Great scene where Peter Falk gives a completely irrelevant monologue.

Maybe because studios realize that they shouldn't cater to just white people anymore?

lol seriously. I have no problems with these changes at all. I just have a problem with the desire to reboot and relaunch and remake everything.

Was anyone clamoring for a Magnum PI remake?

Hernandez is cool though. I wish him well.

BURN IT
20-fahrenheit-451.w710.h473.jpg

Is there not a thread for Krypton? I couldn't find one.

This looks pretty damned cool.

Trailer for Netflix's THE WEEK OF Starring Adam Sandler and Chris Rock

The Week Of tells the story of a devoted, middle class father (Adam Sandler) determined to pay for his daughter's wedding despite the prodding of the wealthier father of the groom (Chris Rock). A series of calamities forces the dads (and their families) to come together and endure the longest week of their lives. Premieres on Netflix on April 27, 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back