• Joe Montana

• Tom Brady

• Jim Brown

• Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Other (specify)

• Wilt Chamberlain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jordan or Ruth.

The second half of the century belonged to Jordan, the first to Ruth. Jordan was more global, but Ruth arrested American culture in awe in a way that nobody else has ever done but Jordan. Not even Ali swirling in the midst of a raging era of political tempest achieved it.
Babe Ruth was nothing but a fat old man with little-girl legs. And here's something I just found out recently ... he wasn't really a sultan

giphy.gif

A lot of the same ones, but a few like Ali, Mayweather, Tiger Woods would have to come off. Terrific in their sports, no doubt. But as a public figure, they're by no means role models. Larry Bird could be added, Serena Williams. I'm sure with some more time I'd come up with a few more.
Fucking lol.

He is now, sort of. Time has a way of changing perspective. In his hay day, he most certainly wasn't respected by everyone. He still isn't, but you don't hear about it, mostly out of respect.
Yeah, a brash young black man not getting respected in the 1960's, go figure. I voted Jordan, but Ali is top-3 imo.

Yeah, a brash young black man not getting respected in the 1960's, go figure. I voted Jordan, but Ali is top-3 imo.
No, it was actually the draft dodging that rubbed people the wrong way. But don’t let that get in your way of crying “racism”.

And I didn’t say it was my opinion, but it was an opinion shared by many. To be honest, Jordan is so far ahead of anyone else its not worth a poll. But thats just me.

No, it was actually the draft dodging that rubbed people the wrong way. But don’t let that get in your way of crying “racism”.

And I didn’t say it was my opinion, but it was an opinion shared by many. To be honest, Jordan is so far ahead of anyone else its not worth a poll. But thats just me.

Sure, that didn't help at the time, but let's not pretend people weren't also super racist in the 60's. Perspectives on race and the Vietnam War sure have changed since, no?

Sure, that didn't help at the time, but let's not pretend people weren't also super racist in the 60's. Perspectives on race and the Vietnam War sure have changed since, no?
Absolutely.

Billy Joe Tolliver

Off the top of my head:

- the guy that sued MLB to start the free agent era.

-the member of Congress that created the bill that became Title 9

-the first college that offered athletic scholarships

-chemistry

It actually hurt me after the initial chuckle when in that brief pause it already dawned on me that this actually a viable nomination to define what is distinctive about our country.
You would take Ali out? He's universally praised by most people in the world.
Yeah, combat sports are truly international. Ali was probably a bigger star than any other American athlete here on the global stage besides Jordan.
Pretty disrespectful that Jackie Robinson isn’t on the list but scrubs like Bo Jackson and roided up losers like Messi are.
Yeah, there's no reason to have any basketball player other than Jordan in the poll, either, but it's not my poll.

It actually hurt me after the initial chuckle when in that brief pause it already dawned on me that this actually a viable nomination to define what is distinctive about our country.

Yeah, combat sports are truly international. Ali was probably a bigger star than any other American athlete here on the global stage besides Jordan.

Yeah, there's no reason to have any basketball player other than Jordan in the poll, either, but it's not my poll.

I was thinking the other day that there is no iconic American food that isn't just awful for you. Burgers, fries, shakes, apple pie, hot dogs, we take pride in weird things. Delicious, weird things.

I'd think Ali was a bigger star than Jordan internationally. Arguably the biggest of all time.

In modern times I'd guess Usain Bolt might just be the biggest.

MJ is the answer. It isnt close.

I'd think Ali was a bigger star than Jordan internationally. Arguably the biggest of all time.

In modern times I'd guess Usain Bolt might just be the biggest.
No, I remember there being famous investigations/analysis of this when I was younger. Jordan's global familiarity surpassed Jesus.

He has arguably been the most recognizable human in the world during my life.

Jordan beating Ali?

Ali transcended sport. He was known worldwide from the rich to the poor, black to white and grew as a person on his journey from athlete to activist.

Back