Your Favourite Low Kickers in MMA

I think Mighty Mouse is the best inside low kicker in MMA or Kick Boxing lmao I have literally never seen someone land the inside leg kick as frequent as MM, its like he has opted to use the low kick instead of using the conventional jab...I personally cant utilize that kind of strategy but its fun to watch to me.

Of the known ones, Jose Aldo Jnr was up there. I don't know what it is, but he just hasn't thrown them at the volume that he used to.

Pedro Rizzo, Marco Ruas and Maurice "hit in the leg with a baseball bat at 80mph) Smith were the first.

Don't forget Thiago Alves when he went on that tear towards a title shot

Effectiveness aside, Thiago Alves' kicks are just beautiful. You see some guys do effective strikes that look just fucking awful, like Rashad's one head kick KO. Ugly like a 60 year old chick at a bar by herself that smokes. And then there is the beautiful demigod that is Alves' low kick.

Haven't watched one of his fights in a while but earlier in his UFC career Alves' kicks were vicious.

He'd throw them not just with great technique, but also with speed and power whilst maintaining perfect balance. He'd throw his hip over and WHACK then snap back to stance like he just thew a jab. Awesome.

I like how Justin Gaethje can throw low kicks from very close range.

edit:
gaethje-clinch-into-leg-kick-comp.gif

Last edited:
I think the problem is in mma there just isnt a ton of good low kickers or at least people that use it enough as a regular weapon to get good

Loving my new heavy bag low kick training....

Shit, I still can't kick high based off of my rebuilt hip yet, but the bag's getting all dented down low!

Plus that's the only kind of kicking for Da Streetz, smack some frat bro in the knee with the shin a couple of times and I don't think he's going to be chasing me much....

Plus that's the only kind of kicking for Da Streetz
Oxymoron.

Street rulez: Kicking is for bitches. Except for a soccer kick, thats the only acceptable one

Oxymoron.

Street rulez: Kicking is for bitches. Except for a soccer kick, thats the only acceptable one
Just happy to be pivoting of my rebuilt leg again even if it's only as high as Grandma would kick me in the shin.

Shoulda played Soccer instead of Football cause I suck at Soccer kicks, haha!

I've always had a fantasy of just blasting the fuck out of some random dude's leg and seeing if I can KO him with a shin kick. The only time I get to kick people in the leg, they've literally been trained to deal with it.

I've always had a fantasy of just blasting the fuck out of some random dude's leg and seeing if I can KO him with a shin kick. The only time I get to kick people in the leg, they've literally been trained to deal with it.

Not gonna lie im with you on this. Low kicking is one of my favorite things to do and blasting someone with a clean one causes a limp and possibly them falling (with shin pads) i feel bad for the gym bro that tries it.

Counter the cross with a headkick is on the list too ;)

Edison Barboza is one of the best strikers in UFC and uses low kicks really well

I like how Justin Gaethje can throw low kicks from very close range.

edit:
gaethje-clinch-into-leg-kick-comp.gif

I used to low kicking out of the double collar tie, I used to do it after i saw anderson silva do it - these were in my early days and then i went through a 5 year stretch of not doing it - i saw gaethje do it and i was suddenly reminded of the technique and now i'm doing it again

I seem to remember Matt Hughes winning one of his last fights by leg kicks. I don't remember who it was against though.

Last edited:
I used to low kicking out of the double collar tie, I used to do it after i saw anderson silva do it - these were in my early days and then i went through a 5 year stretch of not doing it - i saw gaethje do it and i was suddenly reminded of the technique and now i'm doing it again

Not too many guys throw low kicks so i love doing this. They are also not as concerned with the clinch as i am so the doubke collar tie low kicks work wonders. Works with trips well

i dont think you can go against barbosa watch how fucking fast and hard his lead leg kick came out vs khabib

thats veryyy hard to train against one of my friends fought him back in 2008 he tried to stay in his face to avoid kicks but got koed badly with a cross

Back