If you're Brian Ortega's coach, what's the gameplan to fight Holloway?

sirmorbach

These violent delights have violent ends
@Black
Reaction score
I thought this could be an interesting question. How do you prepare for a fighter like Holloway?

Let me try and make this thread still worth it.

mackenzie-dern-hot-photos5-1.png

The problem is he’s not gonna have a reach advantage and holloway is one of the best strikers and has the best chins at fw. He’s not gonna shoot for a td and get caught. This is a bad matchup for him but holloway is a bad match up for pretty much everyone at 145.

Well he's got to try and use his superior Jui Jitsu against Max.

I'd give the edge to Max standing but Ortega showed he's got hands.

I actually think that Ortega will beat Max.

T-City fan here.

Well he's got to try and use his superior Jui Jitsu against Max.

I'd give the edge to Max standing but Ortega showed he's got hands.

I actually think that Ortega will beat Max.

T-City fan here.

I'm with you. Brian Ortega just knocked the fuck out of FRANKIE EDGAR, there's just no way I'm not picking this crazy motherfucker.

I'm with you. Brian Ortega just knocked the fuck out of FRANKIE EDGAR, there's just no way I'm not picking this crazy motherfucker.
Unbelievable really and he's the only guy to ever do what he did to Frankie, so it's the more sweeter.

The confidence must be through the roof right now.

Probably go for the sub, but remain calm and stay in Max's face. On the feet, Max is faster and more crisp. But, at the same time, Ortega can hang, he has just enough striking and fight IQ to put Max out if Max starts taunting him and dropping his hands. I have the feeling that Ortega would maul Max in a brawl. Max better keep it clean or it could back fire. Ortega strikes me as the guy who'd probably remain stone cold in the face of a taunt and just drop a motherfucker.

Now that Ortega murked Frankie i'll rep him against Max.
Obviously use his jitz.
Take it to the ground relentlessly.

Pressure Holloway and don’t let him establish his distance and riddum, should be a gritty fight. Could be knock downs, submission attempts and blood everywhere before it ends
<{JustBleed}>

Good luck keeping Ortega at distance for 5 rounds
Ortega can capitalize on one tiny mistake also in the final rounds
interesting fight though can't wait

I'd probably focus on training striking defence and closing the distance. He's gonna have to weather Max's striking which will be no easy feat and get inside to initiate the grappling.

I thought Frankie was gonna easily box Ortega up and 30-27 him anyway, so what the fuck do I know? haha

I thought Frankie was gonna easily box Ortega up and 30-27 him anyway, so what the fuck do I know? haha

Hahaha, great post. Same here. I was not rooting for any of them, I really like both guys, but my head kept saying the same thing: "Frankie will UD him".

As far as I can see, Ortega has a decent reach advantage even though Max is taller. That means Max has to come inside and throw his combinations, which he is really good at. Brian should try to make him pay when he does that, but be calm and wait for the right moment instead of forcing the issue. Same deal with takedowns. I feel like if he stays calm he has a good chance to catch Max in a way that will discourage him from getting inside and then he can start to take advantage of his reach advantage. If he can't do that, Max could box him up. Can't wait to see the fight.

it's hard to pick against either guy at this point but it looks like ortega always seems to find a way to win

Pressure Holloway and don’t let him establish his distance and riddum, should be a gritty fight. Could be knock downs, submission attempts and blood everywhere before it ends
<{JustBleed}>

the same can be said about Brian. Brian has reach and knows how to use it, he's got power as evidenced by his KO's. He can use elbows, knees, punches, he's got a really diverse arsenal on the feet.

and on the ground, I think he can pretty much wrap anyone up in a choke.

This is an AMAZING fight. I know people aren't going to give it the love it deserves unfortunately, but, for as much hype and love people gave to the TJ vs Cody fight last year, I think this deserves an equal amount. These two are clearly the best 145 lb fighters on the planet right now. Very rare (especially nowadays with WME at the helm) do we get to see 2 fighters at their peaks face off vs one another.

it's hard to pick against either guy at this point but it looks like ortega always seems to find a way to win

EXACTLY!

Max Holloway just beat José Aldo twice, and pretty decisively. And while he did that, he was all like "eh, whatever. It is what it is."

Brian Ortega, on the other hand, just knocked out Frankie Edgar. I mean... knocked. Out. Frankie. Fucking. Edgar. Just wow.

How can you even pick against any of them?

Tell Holloway that his Country is responsible for Pineapple on Pizza.

Ortega has the one strength that everyone should be scared of (going to ground with him). That factor makes a big difference. It is like all those guys Maia was beating, they were all too preoccupied with getting taken down.

Max probably is thinking the same thing, so what Ortega should do is use that too his advantage. He should practice fighting in close, combinations in tight, clinching up, etc. Because Max is going to be thinking, "don't get taken down" in those situations, and open up opportunites to land.

Back