Different types of gloves

SammyPops

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I've been doing muay thai for almost a year now and going to buy my own gloves. I asked the trainer, and he was like "good idea ... go with rival ... good idea .... 15 ounce" in his broken english. He is a good guy, really laid back, and I eel bad b/c I've asked him a few times, and he gives me the same answer. I think he may think I know more than I do lol.

So I came here! I checked out the Rival website, and they have a lot of different gloves, such as Bag gloves, Sparring gloves, Training gloves and others.

I need gloves for hitting pads other people hold and a large soft bag.

Any help of the differences between all these glove types and what I may need? Thanks

I've been doing muay thai for almost a year now and going to buy my own gloves. I asked the trainer, and he was like "good idea ... go with rival ... good idea .... 15 ounce" in his broken english. He is a good guy, really laid back, and I eel bad b/c I've asked him a few times, and he gives me the same answer. I think he may think I know more than I do lol.

So I came here! I checked out the Rival website, and they have a lot of different gloves, such as Bag gloves, Sparring gloves, Training gloves and others.

I need gloves for hitting pads other people hold and a large soft bag.

Any help of the differences between all these glove types and what I may need? Thanks

Could be wrong, but they don't typically make 15 oz gloves. If they are they are probably a lazy glove maker that made a 14 oz or 16 oz but turned out to be 15.

If you can afford it get a pair of bag gloves. And a separate pair for sparring.

Could be wrong, but they don't typically make 15 oz gloves. If they are they are probably a lazy glove maker that made a 14 oz or 16 oz but turned out to be 15.

If you can afford it get a pair of bag gloves. And a separate pair for sparring.

Thanks. So 'bag' gloves are th ebaisc fo rhitting pads/bags?

dont be a douche-nozzle especially if you are on the bigger side.. keep a pair for sparring and another for bag/pad work

lol what?

A pair for bag and pad work because they get condensed down and the padding breaks down faster meaning you can do a lot more damage to your sparring partner than you would with say a pair of gloves used only for sparring.

Honestly if it were me advising you I'd tell you to get some Fairtex BGV-1's or Boon/topking/twins gloves for sparring and some Fairtex BGV9's for bag and pad work. But get what you feel comfortable in and know.

A pair for bag and pad work because they get condensed down and the padding breaks down faster meaning you can do a lot more damage to your sparring partner than you would with say a pair of gloves used only for sparring.

Honestly if it were me advising you I'd tell you to get some Fairtex BGV-1's or Boon/topking/twins gloves for sparring and some Fairtex BGV9's for bag and pad work. But get what you feel comfortable in and know.

Thanks. I guess I've done such light sparing that has not been raised by anyone yet. good to know.

Thanks. I guess I've done such light sparing that has not been raised by anyone yet. good to know.

People at my gym simply don't care, you can use gloves made of concrete as long as they're 16oz

People at my gym simply don't care, you can use gloves made of concrete as long as they're 16oz

In my experience, this number mysticism is common in gyms in Australia.

All that matters is the abstract number, not the density or thickness of the real substance hitting your head.

In my experience, this number mysticism is common in gyms in Australia.

All that matters is the abstract number, not the density or thickness of the real substance hitting your head.

We're too tough/dumb for our own good, it is ingrained in our culture unfortunately. The never backdown attitude only leads to a lot of brain issues when you're older, in the small town I grew up in we had three guys in their 50's - 60's who looked lost all day long because of brain trauma they suffered in bar fights and boxing, although I'm sure the excess alcohol didn't help either.

Back