Trans Pacific Partnership - continuing the conservative assault on working people

Nothing would change your mind lol
But nothing has changed. The remaining countries are signing a less impactful deal (13% of the global GDP vs. 40% w/ USA).
The only other difference I see is they're ripping up the US protectionist aspects of the deal, which is the only reason the US was even involved.
WaPo ran a fluff piece that made it sound like the participants were having a life changing time a a party the US wasn't invited to; completely overstating the importance of the deal.

It's been many years since anyone could make a rational argument for Obama being left of center.
The Right just went with "he's a communist" and "too extreme for America" because they use it every election and their dimwitted base always gobbles it up, so why fix it if it still works.

But, to the main point - yes, he's a corporatist and yes, the more you hear about TPP, the worse it sounds.

No it was just their gut questioning a guy named Hussein Obama.
Somewhere in history they had to know the Osamas.

But nothing has changed. The remaining countries are signing a less impactful deal (13% of the global GDP vs. 40% w/ USA).
The only other difference I see is they're ripping up the US protectionist aspects of the deal, which is the only reason the US was even involved.
WaPo ran a fluff piece that made it sound like the participants were having a life changing time a a party the US wasn't invited to; completely overstating the importance of the deal.

More trade means more competitiveness which boosts exports to non-signatory countries.

Before NAFTA Mexico was an importer nation mainly, a decade and a half after NAFTA both Argentina and Brazil were putting tariffs on Mexican products because Mexican products were far more competitive than these countries products since these countries remained protectionist while Mexico suffered major re-engineering of its economy due to competition with the US and Canada.

More trade means more competitiveness which boosts exports to non-signatory countries.

Before NAFTA Mexico was an importer nation mainly, a decade and a half after NAFTA both Argentina and Brazil were putting tariffs on Mexican products because Mexican products were far more competitive than these countries products since these countries remained protectionist while Mexico suffered major re-engineering of its economy due to competition with the US and Canada.
Free trade already exists. Removing a 1% tariff on bobsled polish while keeping life saving medications from losing their patent does nothing positive for the masses.

Free trade already exists. Removing a 1% tariff on bobsled polish while keeping life saving medications from losing their patent does nothing positive for the masses.

Tariffs are not the only cost when importing and exporting.

Also i agree with the patent thing, thats why im glad the US pulled out of it.

Tariffs are not the only cost when importing and exporting.

Also i agree with the patent thing, thats why im glad the US pulled out of it.
All in all tpp was not going to anything significant for the us economy other than help the largest corporations with ip protection and it compromised our sovereignty with regards to ISDS.

What other costs were you referring to.

All in all tpp was not going to anything significant for the us economy other than help the largest corporations with ip protection and it compromised our sovereignty with regards to ISDS.

What other costs were you referring to.

Logistical costs at customs and regulation standarization.

How does TPP-11 address these?

TPP-11 specifically? i dont know, but if its like other trade deals (which it is) its likely that it addresses a lot of things in how countries conduct business with one another. If it was only about tariffs countries wouldnt be looking to sign such deals.

Here in my hometown in particular after Mexico and Japan signed their trade agreement pork meat producing became an important and modern industry.

And that also benefited us, since the companies that improved their healthy and quality in order to export to Japan also sells produce in the local markets.

How does TPP-11 address these?

heya Anung Un Rama my old friend,

https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/bjals.2016.5.issue-2/bjals-2016-0018/bjals-2016-0018.xml

http://www.iisd.org/sites/default/files/publications/india-standards-regulations-ttp-agreement.pdf

you can read them both, it'll take a little time. in the first piece go to the section titled "The Trans Pacific Trade Partnership and Harmonization of Standards". in the second article, the relevant passage is in section 1.2, under "Standards, Regulations". its not too technical and pretty common sensical.

does any of this really matter, though?

you'd be against the TPP anyway. you know this. i know this. lol.

i think disengaging with the rest of the planet on things like trade and environmental agreements is a strange thing to support. you and i have had this discussion many times in the past, and i know you're pretty set in your view of things.

the world is going to go on, with or without the United States.

Japan has taken the lead in the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership. Canada has a higher profile with the US exit and is pushing for concessions on certain points. other nations are either now negotiating with China or forming their own trade alliances to protect themselves from China.

we just see things differently on this one, Anuung.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Nothing would change your mind lol

hail PolishHeadlock,

because no one (or just about no one) on this board creates things for a living - or works in cutting edge R&D - no one cares about copyrights or patents....something the TPP addressed.

its a bummer to me, PolishHeadlock.

- IGIT

lol... selling the original post to the working man isn't going to work as they realize more employment and better wages.

What Trump is really doing is forcing foreign countries to renegotiate their bad deals. The tariffs and threats of them are to bring them to the table. When you have a trade deficit of $800 Billion it will hurt them a hell of a lot more than it will hurt you, so they are stupid not to make a deal.

I'd actually be interested to see a simple, bifurcated Support/Oppose poll here. I imagine that the coalitions on both sides would be a remarkable mix.

lol... selling the original post to the working man isn't going to work as they realize more employment and better wages.

What Trump is really doing is forcing foreign countries to renegotiate their bad deals. The tariffs and threats of them are to bring them to the table. When you have a trade deficit of $800 Billion it will hurt them a hell of a lot more than it will hurt you, so they are stupid not to make a deal.

hi Whippy McGee,

i'm going to play along.

tell me what, precisely, you found so objectionable in the TPP. i can tell you what i like about the agreement right now.

can you tell me what you don't like about it without Googling the TPP?

- IGIT

I'd actually be interested to see a simple, bifurcated Support/Oppose poll here. I imagine that the coalitions on both sides would be a remarkable mix.

hio Trotsky,

unless alot of posters have had a recent, come-to-Jesus conversion on the topic, you'll be able to count the supporters of the TPP in the War Room on one hand.

- IGIT

hio Trotsky,

unless alot of posters have had a recent, come-to-Jesus conversion on the topic, you'll be able to count the supporters of the TPP in the War Room on one hand.

- IGIT

Well, unfortunately, the conversation has kind of been contaminated by partisan politics. Because Trump came out against it, 99% of his supporters were/are now against it by mere virtue of deferring to his stupidity. If not for Trump, if it had been Hillary versus Jeb, the makeup would be much, much different and more similar to support of NAFTA.

On that note, did/do you and @PolishHeadlock support NAFTA in retrospect?

Well, unfortunately, the conversation has kind of been contaminated by partisan politics. Because Trump came out against it, 99% of his supporters were/are now against it by mere virtue of deferring to his stupidity. If not for Trump, if it had been Hillary versus Jeb, the makeup would be much, much different and more similar to support of NAFTA.

On that note, did/do you and @PolishHeadlock support NAFTA in retrospect?

Yes

hi Whippy McGee,

i'm going to play along.

tell me what, precisely, you found so objectionable in the TPP. i can tell you what i like about the agreement right now.

can you tell me what you don't like about it without Googling the TPP?

- IGIT

Besides it NOT being a Free Trade deal with volumes and volumes containing thousands of pages, it also allows the currency manipulation to continue. If we went into all the "side letters" or exceptions we could be here all day. How about a single sheet of paper that says... FREE FUCKING TRADE. Nope? Why not?

Back