McGregor wants a 165 pound division, TREE times smaller than Nate is officially debunked

Having a weight class that is 5 pounds below 170 would be absurd. That's one of the main mistakes boxing made, they created so many divisions people didn't even know who was champion (and having a bunch of champions per weight class made it worse)

!f 165 is introduced then 175 would also be introduced and 170 would be eliminated. This would mean an even 10 lb weight difference between the lower weights up to 185.

McGregor was protected in the booking and the highest ranked fighter he ever defeated to earn a title shot was 10th ranked Poirier; all the top ten fighters with wrestling backgrounds were paired up against one another in order to protect McGregor, and Mendes coming in on short notice was deemed an acceptable risk because of how much money they pumped into the July card.

Context is important ;).

You conveniently forget he was days away from fighting an absolute beast in RDA before he broke his foot.

There is no such thing as "protected" in the UFC, with so many different styles your never going to face a favourable stylistic match every time around. You're a casual if you think any of those opponents bar Siver didn't stand a chance against Conor.

<{hughesimpress}>

Even a dumb thread with a fake quote title gets you idjits talking bout Conor.

You conveniently forget he was days away from fighting an absolute beast in RDA before he broke his foot.

There is no such thing as "protected" in the UFC, with so many different styles your never going to face a favourable stylistic match every time around. You're a casual if you think any of those opponents bar Siver didn't stand a chance against Conor.

<{hughesimpress}>
Why are you talking about after he won the Featherweight title?

McGregor's UFC opponents:
Apr 2013: #27 Brimage | Striker
Aug 2013: #67 Holloway | Striker
Jul 2014: #30 Brandao | Striker/BJJ
Sep 2014: #10 Poirier | Striker/BJJ
Jan 2015: #19 Siver | Striker/BJJ *Featherweight Title Eliminator

McGregor leapfrogged all of the contenders in the division (most of whom are wrestlers), just like he did at Lightweight.

#2 Edgar | Wrestler
#3 Mendes | Wrestler
#4 Lamas | Wrestler
#5 Swanson | Striker/BJJ
#7 Lentz | Wrestler

Nov 2014: #2 Edgar vs. #5 Swanson
Apr 2015: #3 Mendes vs. #4 Lamas
May 2015: #7 Lentz vs. #11 Oliveira

The UFC purposely tied up all the wrestling-contenders and gave McGregor a title elimination fight against #19 Siver, to say that McGregor wasn't protected during his rise at Featherweight is nothing more than denial. I'm not suggesting that McGregor couldn't have defeated them, but to say that McGregor earned a title shot based on the level and styles of his opponents and not simply because of his popularity is hilariously biased.

The UFC did the same thing with Ngannou when he started fighting top ten heavyweights and paired him up only against strikers.

giphy.gif

Isn't this from Conor wanting to fight Frankie at a catchweight of 165?

Did he really? Lmao. Frankie would need to eat burger burger king's duck burgers for a month to get up to 165lbs.

It's just so he can contend for a third belt against GSP.

Only think I've found claims Diego Sanchez wanted Conor to push for the 165 lbs division so he could fight GSP. Nothing to do with weight cutting/size and everything to do with the Conor & GSP cashing out without having to fight anyone in their division(s) who would absolutely maul them. Conor could be the champ, champ, champ. GSP could hold a belt in three different divisions. First time fighters who have held the belt in two separate weight classes have fought each other AND IT'S FOR A TITLE, etc...While I agree that Nate isn't much bigger than Conor, the 165 lbs division has nothing to do with it.

I thoroughly enjoy how Conor haters don't get the joke and spend time seriously trying to convince people that Nate Diaz isn't a monstrous physical specimen. I believe they all have autism.

Everyone kept on emphasizing how much bigger Nate was like he was really two weight classes bigger. McGregor looked like a cancer patient at 145, Nate is a career lightweight. Both are lightweights.

McGregor was 153 at the Mayweather weigh and he looked almost as dehydrated as when he cut to 145. Floyd and the media kept bringing up the massive weight cut he was making to 154, and McGregor said he would be 170 in the ring against Mayweather.

Now the guy doesn't even want to cut to 155. He wants a 165 division.
You can't debunk the truth. That man will forever be remembered for his bravery as he took on that titan. It's understandable that now he'll only come out of de facto retirement to face Zeus or some other god. Men are no longer a challenge.

Conor afraid of Woodley, still ducking RDA, and afraid of Colby.
Lol yeah. Ducked him so hard that he made RDA pull out of their fight last minute.

Ladies and gentlemen, Conor hate babies.

Why are you talking about after he won the Featherweight title?

McGregor's UFC opponents:
Apr 2013: #27 Brimage | Striker
Aug 2013: #67 Holloway | Striker
Jul 2014: #30 Brandao | Striker/BJJ
Sep 2014: #10 Poirier | Striker/BJJ
Jan 2015: #19 Siver | Striker/BJJ *Featherweight Title Eliminator

McGregor leapfrogged all of the contenders in the division (most of whom are wrestlers), just like he did at Lightweight.

#2 Edgar | Wrestler
#3 Mendes | Wrestler
#4 Lamas | Wrestler
#5 Swanson | Striker/BJJ
#7 Lentz | Wrestler

Nov 2014: #2 Edgar vs. #5 Swanson
Apr 2015: #3 Mendes vs. #4 Lamas
May 2015: #7 Lentz vs. #11 Oliveira

The UFC purposely tied up all the wrestling-contenders and gave McGregor a title elimination fight against #19 Siver, to say that McGregor wasn't protected during his rise at Featherweight is nothing more than denial. I'm not suggesting that McGregor couldn't have defeated them, but to say that McGregor earned a title shot based on the level and styles of his opponents and not simply because of his popularity is hilariously biased.

The UFC did the same thing with Ngannou when he started fighting top ten heavyweights and paired him up only against strikers.

giphy.gif

You never mentioned the featherweight division in the post I quoted. You only mentioned Dustin and Mendes. My misunderstanding

l@nd0

You never mentioned the featherweight division in the post I quoted. You only mentioned Dustin and Mendes. My misunderstanding

l@nd0
To be fair, I thought it was implied by the fact that I mentioned Poirier and title shot in the same sentence.

I'm sure most of you would prefer more WMMA divisions and 115 mens but the reality is

160 is an iconic division in all of combat sports and should be included in the UFC Mens Ranks

Conor couldn't hit the WW limit of 170, even with a full camp. Meanwhile Nate Diaz is taller and has a bigger reach than the last 3 WW champions.

Nathan will sleep at 155​

160lb is iconic in all of Combat Sports? Olympic wrestling doesn't have a 160lb weight class in Grec or Free.. even HS AAU and Cellegiate wrestling do not have a 160lb weight class. Olympic Judo doesn't have a 160lb weight class, nor does Olympic Boxing. Pro Boxing, and some Kickboxing orgs like the WBO, and some Thai Boxing venues like Rajadamnern Stadium, have 160lb classes, but they are not the "iconic" divisions, but have given fans some good fights through time.

Conor walks around bigger then 170lbs and he himself even said as recent as the Floyd fight, that he expected to come in fight night at over 170lbs.

The theory of Nate literally being 3 times larger than Conor is NOT debunked just because Conor now choses to challenge him fighting someone who is literally FOUR time larger than Conor in GSP.

Do I have to be the asshole who explains that just because two guys make the same weight class doesn't mean they're the same size or that they'll still be that same weight when they fight?

If you still refuse to acknowledge that Diaz is bigger than Conor there's no hope for you or you just massively hate the guy.

Having a weight class that is 5 pounds below 170 would be absurd. That's one of the main mistakes boxing made, they created so many divisions people didn't even know who was champion (and having a bunch of champions per weight class made it worse)
You would take the 170 division and make it 175. So 145, 155, 165, 175, 185

<{hughesimpress}>
He was protected. Him being scheduled to fight rda is a weird thing ppl hold on to. What if rda just absolutely embarrassed him..... You guys act like him being scheduled to fight him counts as a W for him

Back