Law Should Adulthood (The Rights To Vote, Smoke, Drink, Marry, Enlist, Bear Arms) Be 18 or 21?

At What Age Should "Adulthood" Be Legally Defined?

• Total voters
Consistency for the sake of consistency isn't pragmatic, nor is adhering to some acknowledged-artificial line to be mandate on all human capacities.

It makes sense to be able to drive at 16, since motor functions have matured by that point and that's when you become able to work
It makes sense to vote at 18, since intellectual development has matured by that point, and that's when you fly the coop.

Likewise, it makes sense that alcohol and firearms might be restricted until 21 since, despite intellectual and motor function development having mostly filled out, emotional development still has a way to go and doesn't really complete until the late 20s.

There's a really good Missouri Supreme Court case on this topic re why persons under 20 shouldn't be eligible for life without parole since their impulse control isn't anywhere near complete around 18.

Good points except for disagree on voting at 18 since emotional and intellectual development is severely lacking at that point. Should be moved to 25 and removed at 70.

You can't buy tobacco in California until your 21!? The hell is that about?

I don't really have a problem with this since most people are still dependents or students at that age anyway, and I'm assuming the "some exceptions" are for those who aren't and have families and houses. I don't see what Florida's three day waiting period is supposed to accomplish though, except to leave anybody who's received a credible threat defenseless for several days while they wait. I don't think any kind of school shooter or premeditated murderer is going to decide "nevermind" because he had to wait 3 days.

Homeboy probably should have kept his mouth shut with the comparisons to justify, because this kind of leaves the door open to raise the age consent, military recruitment, legal contracts, and a lot of things that are different for "minors".

The waiting period exists so some asshole who is angry about something dumb can't walk in and buy a gun only to shoot someone 20 minutes later.

It sets a standard if premeditation.

Good points except for disagree on voting at 18 since emotional and intellectual development is severely lacking at that point. Should be moved to 25 and removed at 70.

Oh, heavens no. I would rather move it down to 16 since, as I said, intellectual development is largely resolved.

Persons 16-25 represent far too unique a perspective on our country to exclude. They may up those in education, those entering the job market, those entering the housing market, and a host of other important considerations.

I struggle with senior citizen rights tbh. Right now they're the electoral engine of our country, and current 65+ voters are potentially the worst generation of voters in American history.

All I wanted to do at 18 was play video games and score with chicks (latter mostly unsuccessful). I didn't "mature" into adulthood until I was in my mid 20's. If they raise the voting age to 21 in line with purchasing alcohol and cigarettes, I would be fine with it.

The drinking age vs adult age is stupid.

However I don't mind a person being able to vote before being considered adult in other ways. They are voting not acting as judges.
Besides the future is very much their concern.

I've worked at a strip club for years in Toronto and when I first worked there I almost served an under-aged dancer by accident because I just assumed she was of drinking age because she worked there. I didn't even really think about it.

It was a bit of an eye-opener to realize that she was deemed old enough to take off her clothes and grind on men's laps at 18 years old but wasn't legally allowed to have a drink while she did it until she was 19. Weird stuff.

Wow.

Here's the breakdown, Sherbros.

Sexual consent: 14
Voting: 18
Buy handguns/semi-autos: 21
Rent a car: 25

I've worked at a strip club for years in Toronto and when I first worked there I almost served an under-aged dancer by accident because I just assumed she was of drinking age because she worked there. I didn't even really think about it.

It was a bit of an eye-opener to realize that she was deemed old enough to take off her clothes and grind on men's laps at 18 years old but wasn't legally allowed to have a drink while she did it until she was 19. Weird stuff.

Makes sense to me...bad enough she's stripping...can't make it worse by getting her drunk and then strip.

Uhh..nevermind not sure what i'm arguing against, drinks on the house for strippers should be the norm.

Oh, heavens no. I would rather move it down to 16 since, as I said, intellectual development is largely resolved.

Persons 16-25 represent far too unique a perspective on our country to exclude. They may up those in education, those entering the job market, those entering the housing market, and a host of other important considerations.

I struggle with senior citizen rights tbh. Right now they're the electoral engine of our country, and current 65+ voters are potentially the worst generation of voters in American history.

If by largely resolved and unique perspective you mean lack of impulse control, immaturity, no self identity...yes by all means please move it down to 16.

My guess is that you're a leftist and like the idea of a larger pool of young voters supporting leftist candidates.

The prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed until you're in your mid-20s, so I like the idea 21 y/o adulthood but think that it should stay at 18.

I don't think so. At least not in all respects. An 18 year old needs to have the ability to strike out on his own and be independent; I wouldn't have wanted to be beholden to my folks for an extra 3 years.

I think they should lower the ages for all weapons.

Why arm the teachers when you can just arm the students?

The students should be issued an AR-15 and three grenades upon enrollment to school.

The good guys with the guns will definitely outnumber the bad guys with the guns.

Not in Detroit. /s

I have to admit, that's a contradiction that is difficult for me to reconcile.

My guess is that you're a leftist and like the idea of a larger pool of young voters supporting leftist candidates.

The prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed until you're in your mid-20s, so I like the idea 21 y/o adulthood but think that it should stay at 18.

I was having an adult conversation with someone that had nothing to do with taking sides. Did you have to quip in with a pointless partisan platitude?

Here's the breakdown, Sherbros.

Sexual consent: 14
Voting: 18
Buy handguns/semi-autos: 21
Rent a car: 25

tumblr_myn9bmGvAY1s4ov53o1_400.gif

He is just conflating two issues. Slight of hand shit. Tighten up.
Are they two separate issues? Ultimately it comes down to the age when we think someone is capable of making her own decisions and accepting/assuming the consequences of those decisions. Working as strippers must take a toll on a significant portion of women. If we, as a society, think someone is old enough to accept those consequence in favor of the money she will make from it, I'm not sure why we'd turn around and say that person is too young to drink.

Part of this comes from knowing that many countries already allow people to drink at 18. My mother, who is German, had her first beer when she was 14.

Are they two separate issues? Ultimately it comes down to the age when we think someone is capable of making her own decisions and accepting/assuming the consequences of those decisions. Working as strippers must take a toll on a significant portion of women. If we, as a society, think someone is old enough to accept those consequence in favor of the money she will make from it, I'm not sure why we'd turn around and say that person is too young to drink.

Part of this comes from knowing that many countries already allow people to drink at 18. My mother, who is German, had her first beer when she was 14.

Beers, guns and pussy are different.

Holy shit, I'm a big Zevon fan. Beers, guns and pussy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back