Blah blah blah, race thread

I think the only way this could work is if there’s some existential threat to humanity as a whole that makes us put aside our in-group differences as a species. Tribalism is definitely an inherent trait in us, but the level at which that exists isn’t. While there are plenty of examples of tribalism at a non-racial level, there are also plenty of examples of unity at both racial and non-racial levels in the face of an external threat.

If there was some kind of constant threat and the only clear way to defend against it was to unite I think some pragmatic version of the OP could exist.

I posit that may not be true, but that the social conditions haven't allowed an overall better nature to emerge.
After all, at one time fight or flight determined our responses much more than they do now; people mastered that instinct and became more civilised for the sake of advancement.
I think there is a a fine balance between our need for "space" and our need for interaction. I believe as more people are introduced into an area, mental and social pressures compound and lead to higher instances of unacceptable behaviors. It's why I personally believe we as a species work much better in smaller groups over all. Overcrowding of homes, towns, cities and nations often become bubbling struggles for resources and the need to carve out space to step outside the pressures of near continuous interactions.

As those pressures build up they then end up expressing themselves in either increasingly violent behaviors from those members of the community least able to handle the pressure or through increasingly aberrant behaviors that often are self-destructive, overtly anti-social or subconsciously designed to generate social unease as a means to push back against encroaching humanity and its attendant social pressures, expectations and demands for varying degrees of herd conformity in order to co-exist.

On the opposite end though are uber-conformist societies like China, but look at the degrees and levels of controls that are needed and put in place in order to maintain that degree of societal conformity.

I think all this bullshit is promoted by press and powers that be because emotion negates reason and makes the mob easier to control.

People as a whole are arguably more tolerant and accepting than they have been in recent history and people are whining more than ever about it? Interesting.

I think all this bullshit is promoted by press and powers that be because emotion negates reason and makes the mob easier to control.

People as a whole are arguably more tolerant and accepting than they have been in recent history and people are whining more than ever about it? Interesting.
I would say certain press sources and certain powers that be.
Ones that have a divisive and thinly veiled or outright agenda.

Just as a counterthread to all the "brown people are terrible" threads, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to speculate on the following premise:

We've reached a utopian society worldwide. Every person, all over the world, has an equal chance, equal opportunity to advance their station in life, and a good free education.

I think prejudice essentially disappears. I suspect that people of all cultural backgrounds worldwide would achieve great things and we wouldn't be wasting so many of our potentially great minds the way things are now.

Say on, philosophical Sherbros.

If everyone has an equal opportunity to advance and access to good schooling then everything still hinges on culture and family.

People with strong families that place importance on responsibility, hard work and education will thrive. People from bankrupt cultures that don't have personal responsibility will fail. The US ends up exactly the same.

If everyone has an equal opportunity to advance and access to good schooling then everything still hinges on culture and family.

People with strong families that place importance on responsibility, hard work and education will thrive. People from bankrupt cultures that don't have personal responsibility will fail. The US ends up exactly the same.
I disagree. As a great many more people have access to education, more people will be able to climb the socio-economic ladder.
The US benefits, instead of "staying exactly the same". That's an absurd reduction.

I disagree. As a great many more people have access to education, more people will be able to climb the socio-economic ladder.
The US benefits, instead of "staying exactly the same". That's an absurd reduction.

It is NOT about education. It is about parenting. If parents don't teach their kids the values of responsibility, hard work and the importance of education then the kids are fucked.

You do know that Baltimore spends more and each student than pretty much anywhere in the world, right? It doesn't matter if kids can access good education if they are assholes who don't care about learning.

The most important 'privilege' anyone can have is two caring parents and a stable family life where personal responsibility and good values are taught.

Here is a thought experiment. Give all the shitty parents 10X the money and access to schools that are rated 5X better than the good parents. Then see what happens after a generation. The good parents children will still be far, far more successful in life.

I don't know why so many people think education and money are so important. The answer is so simple. Good parenting.

Slayer sucks.

notmymetalband#

I bet your estrogen levels are elevated...

th

Just as a counterthread to all the "brown people are terrible" threads, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to speculate on the following premise:

We've reached a utopian society worldwide. Every person, all over the world, has an equal chance, equal opportunity to advance their station in life, and a good free education.

I think prejudice essentially disappears. I suspect that people of all cultural backgrounds worldwide would achieve great things and we wouldn't be wasting so many of our potentially great minds the way things are now.

You need a reality check. Even in this world of truly equal opportunity, there is zero chance that it will also have truly equal outcomes.

So in reality, NOTHING CHANGES.

You need a reality check. Even in this world of truly equal opportunity, there is zero chance that it will also have truly equal outcomes.

So in reality, NOTHING CHANGES.
Oh my gosh, what a great point you've made!
I see now how I was wrong and you're super cool for making me realize that.

To play devils advocate.. I disagree.

Nope. There will always be bad parenting producing shitty kids and then cries of unfairness when things don't turn out the same for them. Race plays a role for very few people, values and morals for yourself and those around you are what matter and wouldn't be fixed unless this utopian world were one inescapable police state and there was literally a king of the world, and how long till that fucking guy takes a dark turn and starts offing people like crazy?

That's been my motto for a long time. I can come up with much better reasons to hate someone than the colour of their skin.

like preferring Metallica over Megadeth

Motörhead

Back