Death penalty for drug dealers? Trump approves.

I think the ultimate punishment makes up for the lost time.

how is it the ultimate punishment? you cannot be punished in the afterlife by us.

About as much as a death sentence.

no.

you could still have decades of your life left after being wrongly imprisoned. maybe even with a sweet payoff from the govt. granted, most would rather have never been in prison at all, but thats better than being dead.

Thing is, you have to correct it before the final hour. Plenty of innocents have rotted in jail and died/were murdered.

plenty, yes. but 100% of those who were executed, are dead.

What's the difference?

see above. seems obvious. you're trying to claim "welp, we can mess up in both situations, so its a wash." it isnt.

I could see your point if the US was recklessly executing people, with no appeals, and a bullet to the back of the head within days, but they're not. They put the same due diligence into making sure they got it right, the same as they do LWOP perps.

right, but more time to prove innocence is better. once you kill someone, you cant even make an attempt at taking it back.

Oh' boo hoo. The law isn't run on feelings of the families of pieces of shit.

why shouldnt that be considered? are they guilty of a crime?

ALL that shit is on the perp. If they didn't want to cause their own family pain from their execution, they should've made better decisions in life.

thats the tail wagging the dog imo. the state should make the best decision for the most citizens possible (e.g. all the stakeholders involved, not just the offender and the victim). why should the state not be concerned about creating more ancillary victims of one type or another?

Missing the point as usual, when an innocent person is executed you can't bring them back.

Except, that's not what he was saying. He was saying executing the "guilty" murderer of someone, won't bring the dead victim back, so by executing the perp, you're only expanding the pool of victims of the crime. That being the perp and their family.

Step down from your high horse, and learn to read before you address me.

Except, that's not what he was saying. He was saying executing the "guilty" murderer of someone, won't bring the dead victim back, so by executing the perp, you're only expanding the pool of victims of the crime. That being the perp and their family.

Step down from your high horse, and learn to read before you address me.
You are ignoring the fact that our justice system is too error prone to give it the ultimate power of life and death.

how is it the ultimate punishment? you cannot be punished in the afterlife by us.

For it apparently not being a punishment at all, you sure do seem to be arguing that it's an unjust one.

you could still have decades of your life left after being wrongly imprisoned. maybe even with a sweet payoff from the govt. granted, most would rather have never been in prison at all, but thats better than being dead.

Once that gavel comes down, it's damn near impossible to reverse the decision.

plenty, yes. but 100% of those who were executed, are dead.

So are the ones who never proved their innocence, and died in prison.

why shouldnt that be considered? are they guilty of a crime?

They do consider it. They let them plead their case for the convicted at sentencing.

thats the tail wagging the dog imo. the state should make the best decision for the most citizens possible (e.g. all the stakeholders involved, not just the offender and the victim). why should the state not be concerned about creating more ancillary victims of one type or another?

Where does that begin and end? Isn't knowing your loved one is suffering in prison, a punishment? Should we stop locking people up now, because of potential psychological effects it might have on their families?

You are ignoring the fact that our justice system is too error prone to give it the ultimate power of life and death.

Some people deserve to die for what they did.

Now the death pentialy is only given in few cases and those there is no doubt the person did it.

The justice system is about justice for the victims first. The to protect society second. Part of protecting society should be rehabilitation for some that are going to be released if they want it. They should be encouraged to nd there is some available but more should be. Our system needs an overhaul in that respect for sure. Doing away with for profit prisons is the first step . Then taking back control of the prisons is the second.

the-us-has-had-the-western-worlds-worst-rate-of-homicide-for-at-least-60-years.jpg

We kill more of our citizens than anyone for killing people. If executions are a deterrent, then we shouldnt see this.

and if you claim we should kill citizens just for the revenge of the victim's loved ones....im not sure thats a good motivation either.
That graph seriously looks like you just created it on Mario Paint.

Now the death pentialy is only given in few cases and those there is no doubt the person did it.
What do you mean exactly? Plenty of people have been found innocent after or before their executions.

death penatly for huge dealers? i can see the argument but I would not want to be the one making that decision. ultimately id probably be against it, life in prison without parole.

What do you mean exactly? Plenty of people have been found innocent after or before their executions.

In the last 10 years or more the ability to get evidence us so improved and the cases of the death pentialy give has reduced.

Link to all these incent people.

death penatly for huge dealers? i can see the argument but I would not want to be the one making that decision. ultimately id probably be against it, life in prison without parole.

Even this is crazy... How about we legalize drugs?

I never understood why the government cares if someone does nothing wrong except put a harmful substance into their body. Why is that illegal? Of course if you commit a crime while on drugs or in an attempt to obtain drugs that is different.

Also under 18 different rules would apply

Look at the list. There's a column for when DNA evidence was present.

Right I mean unequivocal DNA evidence. Not a hair on the body or a blood stain in the room. I mean like DNA under the victims fingernails or man juice inside... And even then it should be mixed with a confession or iron clad witnesses. AND EVEN THEN.

I would be fine for an all out abolishment of the death penalty

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/innocence-list-those-freed-death-row

Death penalty should be abolished except in cases of unequivocal DNA evidence or a confession

I'm not going through that to sort if the truly innocent are on it your source has an agenda and has had.

I'm not for the death pentialy unless we are sure but some people do shit they deserve to die for.

I don't care if we raise the bar on who and how they get it but like I said some people deserve to die for what they did.

I'm not going through that to sort if the truly innocent are on it your source has an agenda and has had.

I'm not for the death pentialy unless we are sure but some people do shit they deserve to die for.

I don't care if we raise the bar on who and how they get it but like I said some people deserve to die for what they did.
So instead of checking if they are truly innocent, you'll just assume that everyone who gets the death penalty is rightfully being executed?

So instead of checking if they are truly innocent, you'll just assume that everyone who gets the death penalty is rightfully being executed?

We have a process for that. That's why it takes so long.

We have a process for that. That's why it takes so long.
The process is not entirely reliable, which is proven by the amount of people exonerated. In an ideal world I'd be in favor of state sanctioned death penalties, but the system is not reliable.

Back