Social Distortion/Mike Ness

What is your favorite Social Distortion studio album?

• Mommy's Little Monster (1983)

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Prison Bound (1988)

• Social Distortion (1990)

• Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell (1992)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996)

• Sex, Love, and Rock 'n' Roll (2004)

• Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes (2011)

• Total voters

Philo-Publius

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Social Distortion is another band that started as an "underground" punk rock band but gained notoriety with some exposure on MTV in the 90's. I once drove 7 hours to see Social Distortion play live. They have tons of great songs. What is your favorite Social Distortion or Mike Ness solo song?

Honorable Mentions:

Last edited:
One of my favorites as well, seen Mike ness/social d about 10 times live. My favorite album is a tossup between somewhere between heaven and hell and prison bound. The last album wasn't too bad either. Although both of his country albums are filled with covers they'e both legit.

Sober, rockabilly, country Mike Ness > shitfaced punk Mike Ness imo

One of my favorites as well, seen Mike ness/social d about 10 times live. My favorite album is a tossup between somewhere between heaven and hell and prison bound. The last album wasn't too bad either. Although both of his country albums are filled with covers they'e both legit.

Sober, rockabilly, country Mike Ness > shitfaced punk Mike Ness imo

I didn't care for most of the tracks on his two solo albums, but Charmed Life and Misery Loves Company were both awesome songs.

Sick Boys, Bad Luck, 1945, Prison Bound, his Ring of Fire cover is killer, too

Seen em' live a few times. Love this guy.

His solo stuff is awesome, too. Cheating at Solitaire is so good

If you haven't seen the documentary Another State of Mind its definitely worth the watch.

Another State of Mind is a documentary film made in the summer of 1982 chronicling the adventure of two punk bands, Social Distortion and Youth Brigade, as they embark on their first international tour. Along the way they meet up with another progressive punk band, Minor Threat, whom they hang out with at the Dischord house for about a week near the end of their ill-fated tour.

The song Another State of Mind is one of my early favorites

Favorite Social D album is White Light,White Heat,White Trash.

Other favorite songs? Telling Them, Another State of Mind.(Hearing Mike play it acoustic on the documentary Is awesome), Reach for the Sky, Prison Bound, they have a lot of great stuff. Ness is very Johnny Cash _esque

Life goes by so fast
You only wanna do what you think is right
Close your eyes then it's past
story of my life

Awesome song, awesome album, awesome band.

Sick Boys, Bad Luck, 1945, Prison Bound, his Ring of Fire cover is killer, too

Seen em' live a few times. Love this guy.

His solo stuff is awesome, too. Cheating at Solitaire is so good

I forgot about 1945. That is a great song too.

Love his band and solo stuff, but have never seen him live, though i've meant to. My favorite songs would probably be 'Story of My Life' and 'Sick Boy,' though there are some others that are real close to those. I'm gonna go look up when he's touring.

SD was profiled, or an album was name dropped?, in an issue of Thrasher or Transworld when I was a kid. It's also how I discovered Sonic Youth and Stiff Little Fingers. Getting a little buzzed and having many a great skate session listening to Prison Bound - good times for sure. I haven't listened in ages but recall the last half of the album really moved. Want what I Want, On My Nerves (with some great line about shitty songs being played on the radio too much), Like an Outlaw, Lost Child. Not sure how it's standing the test of time - probably just sounds like good old rock now. Ness is a character for sure.

EDIT - Just noticed, Stephen Quadros is a security guard in the video. Awesome.

Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes had some good tunes, but I wasn't as particularly high on that album as some of the others. Personally, I would like to see him go back to the grittier sound of White Light, White Heat, White Trash.

Love his stuff. He has a lot in common with classic outlaw country+rockabilly. Great voice too, Ness, the lead singer from Sponge, those type of vocals can be great with the right style of music.

SD was profiled, or an album was name dropped?, in an issue of Thrasher or Transworld when I was a kid. It's also how I discovered Sonic Youth and Stiff Little Fingers. Getting a little buzzed and having many a great skate session listening to Prison Bound - good times for sure. I haven't listened in ages but recall the last half of the album really moved. Want what I Want, On My Nerves (with some great line about shitty songs being played on the radio too much), Like an Outlaw, Lost Child. Not sure how it's standing the test of time - probably just sounds like good old rock now. Ness is a character for sure.
That's exactly how i would find out about new bands (to me) when i was a kid in the 80's when i got into punk and hardcore. Would read Thrasher, see some bands mentioned, and then take a chance on them. Suicidal Tendencies, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, etc. Thrasher introduced me to some great bands and skating.

Back