Social Black Panther (War Room Discussion)

I asked my kids, who saw the movie with me, if they would like to live in Wakanda and the both said yes (ages 11 and 6) enthusiastically. But then they asked; would they accept me and how would they get in?

So I went into it a little bit with them and asked them why would they ask that? They said that they don't accept everyone and we don't look alike. I asked, 'well isn't Wakanda a good country'? They replied, "yes but they want to keep their country safe with their own people they trust so that they know who is in their country." I then asked, 'but you guys wouldn't do anything bad, I'm sure they'd let you in'. They then replied after a thought, "yes but then they'd have to let everyone in and isn't there terrorists out there?"

It was a intetesting convo from innocence.

The hype and convo. on the movie seems a very American thing. Except for 0.00001% of the people, do Africans even give a shit about this movie and the conversation people are having over here?

Africans are probably busy living and try to stay alive.

Yeah like he said, they have to use fantasy to come with some pride. Very sad and disturbing.

You truly are dense.
The pride is in relation to finally seeing themselves on the big screen as superheroes.
You know like:
-Superman
-Batman
-Spiderman
-Captain America
-Iron Man
-Thor
-Green Lantern
-Daredevil
-Wolverine
-Dr. Strange
-Ant Man
-Wonder Woman

Just to name a few.

What do you think of the Chinese reception to BP? Is it just another example of China’s limited exposure to race?

https://qz.com/1226449/a-torture-for-the-eyes-chinese-moviegoers-think-black-panther-is-too-black/

China has made a significant and influential foray into Africa over the past couple of decades with huge presence from major Chinese government-backed enterprises and thousands of private Chinese entrepreneurs and workers moving to various countries to seek their fortune. The interaction has for the most part been amicable and usually seen as mutually beneficial but there have also been notable moments of cultural and racial tension in some countries.

Commentary:

Biggest complaint of BP was the one fight in the dark.

They also shunned The Last Jedi because Boyega had a Chinese Girlfriend (only grossed $40 million there).

What do you think of the Chinese reception to BP? Is it just another example of China’s limited exposure to race?

https://qz.com/1226449/a-torture-for-the-eyes-chinese-moviegoers-think-black-panther-is-too-black/

Commentary:
Just read this.

Movie still made $66.5 million opening weekend, which is considered a good showing. A Chinese movie critic site - that according to Cinemablend is similar to IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes - gives the movies 6.8 out of 10. So not as high ranking as Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/23...oing-over-quite-as-well-with-viewers-in-china

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...be794b11891/ss_black-panther-isn't-going.html

And Yahoo comments are predictable ....

Yeah like he said, they have to use fantasy to come with some pride. Very sad and disturbing.
What is more sad and disturbing is your lack of comprehension of that point.

Throughout movie history they have played to the various country, ethnic and Country and Geopolitical pride of the target audience. Until recently that target audience was mostly white. So you would see a white character inserted as the saviour in various movies from Matt Damon's, The Great Wall to Tom Cruises, The Last Samurai and literally hundreds if not thousands of other FANTASY movies where they sold some version of pride to the white audience. Go beyond that and you have Country and Geo political pride. the "Fuck ya Murica' fantasy stuff whether they are driving away aliens from the planet (Tom Cruise, War of the Worlds) or beating back an invasion into America (Red Dawn). Or a movie like Braveheart or a VIking Movie that whips up the passions of those europeans.

So there is zero that is new in Hollywood pandering to a certain identified audience. They have done it forever and will continue to do. WHAT IS NEW is that it is no longer only mainly done towards a white audience, as the audience is changing. And that, THAT angers a lot of white people. Suddenly they can see the pandering they never noticed when it was done almost 100% to them and suddenly they want it to stop or they take offense to it. LOL. Hollywood will never stop pandering and that is ok. The next wave will be increasing Chines character creep as that audience has become more and more important.

This is great.

The film attracted a diverse audience: comScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak audience survey found that moviegoers were 37% African-American, 35% Caucasian, 18% Hispanic, 5% Asian and 5% other ethnicities.

Only when we track everything by race can we reach utopia. This is so awesome. Almost there.

We should track everything like this. Gas pumps, toll booths, let's do it. It's the path to perfection.

Only when we track everything by race can we reach utopia. This is so awesome. Almost there.

We should track everything like this. Gas pumps, toll booths, let's do it. It's the path to perfection.
Proof is often great to have. Knowledge, facts these things are important.

I cant beleive this thread is still going.

Yall want black folks to have better representation in movies and media then when it happens yall pitch a bitch.

Nah.. Lets go back to hood-shit in media and movies being the only source of catharisis and then complain when violence goes up again.

Cause that was fucking fun.

What is more sad and disturbing is your lack of comprehension of that point.

Throughout movie history they have played to the various country, ethnic and Country and Geopolitical pride of the target audience. Until recently that target audience was mostly white. So you would see a white character inserted as the saviour in various movies from Matt Damon's, The Great Wall to Tom Cruises, The Last Samurai and literally hundreds if not thousands of other FANTASY movies where they sold some version of pride to the white audience. Go beyond that and you have Country and Geo political pride. the "Fuck ya Murica' fantasy stuff whether they are driving away aliens from the planet (Tom Cruise, War of the Worlds) or beating back an invasion into America (Red Dawn). Or a movie like Braveheart or a VIking Movie that whips up the passions of those europeans.

So there is zero that is new in Hollywood pandering to a certain identified audience. They have done it forever and will continue to do. WHAT IS NEW is that it is no longer only mainly done towards a white audience, as the audience is changing. And that, THAT angers a lot of white people. Suddenly they can see the pandering they never noticed when it was done almost 100% to them and suddenly they want it to stop or they take offense to it. LOL. Hollywood will never stop pandering and that is ok. The next wave will be increasing Chines character creep as that audience has become more and more important.

Delusional may not be the correct word to use....

How delusional is someone who believes that a POAC would take pride watching a character in a movie that is based solely on the imagination of the creators of said movie based on the color and/or race of the characters?

I cant beleive this thread is still going.

Yall want black folks to have better representation in movies and media then when it happens yall pitch a bitch.

Nah.. Lets go back to hood-shit in media and movies being the only source of catharisis and then complain when violence goes up again.

Cause that was fucking fun.

Or you could bitch about the people bitching cuz that’s fun :-o

I thought it was really good, I ended up seeing it twice in theatres.

And hey, if young black kids watch it and are inspired by seeing an African super hero and having that movie make over a billion dollars, isn't that a good thing?

Or you could bitch about the people bitching cuz that’s fun :-o
ouroboros-snake-eating-its-own-tail-eternity-or-infinity-symbol-HBTJPM.jpg

Delusional may not be the correct word to use....

How delusional is someone who believes that a POAC would take pride watching a character in a movie that is based solely on the imagination of the creators of said movie based on the color and/or race of the characters?
"POAC?"?

And pride, passion, or whatever you want to call it has been part of the movie going experience (fiction or non-fiction) for as long as there have been movies so there should be no surprise there.

The American V the savage native Americans or Mexicans goes back to the earliest black and white movies.

I asked my kids, who saw the movie with me, if they would like to live in Wakanda and the both said yes (ages 11 and 6) enthusiastically. But then they asked; would they accept me and how would they get in?

So I went into it a little bit with them and asked them why would they ask that? They said that they don't accept everyone and we don't look alike. I asked, 'well isn't Wakanda a good country'? They replied, "yes but they want to keep their country safe with their own people they trust so that they know who is in their country." I then asked, 'but you guys wouldn't do anything bad, I'm sure they'd let you in'. They then replied after a thought, "yes but then they'd have to let everyone in and isn't there terrorists out there?"

It was a intetesting convo from innocence.

Africans are probably busy living and try to stay alive.
i4clgVm.gif

over 1000 posts...... man people are salty about having a black guy as a superhero. damn

"POAC?"?

And pride, passion, or whatever you want to call it has been part of the movie going experience (fiction or non-fiction) for as long as there have been movies so there should be no surprise there.

The American V the savage native Americans or Mexicans goes back to the earliest black and white movies.

People of Any Color

I disagree with you but I’m basing it on my experiences. I’ve yet to meet a single person that took pride in their race/color based on ANY super hero movie/book/comic (For arguments sake let’s stick with that genre)

Presuming you mean villains/criminals....Perhaps, but what are the % based on color/race. Only someone that is ignorant on said data (including myself) would believe that white people aren’t portrayed as the majority of criminals in both numbers and percentages.

Don’t get me wrong, for the most part I don’t give a flying fuck what other people believe in and if someone wants to look at a movie character or any one else as a role model...it’s cool with me and insert fedorshouldeshrug.gif

It's stupid and frankly insulting to me that people just keeping adding more letters onto acronyms essentially insinuating that people that fall under a certain letter also fall in line with people that are parts of the other letters in the acronym.

It's fucking stupid and pandering. It's like how LGBT has letters like Q and A and X in it now. The whole "people of color" thing is also dumb as fuck.

Signed:
Pissed off half Japanese guy tired of whitey deciding how to divvy up minorities into special acronym groups

It's stupid and frankly insulting to me that people just keeping adding more letters onto acronyms essentially insinuating that people that fall under a certain letter also fall in line with people that are parts of the other letters in the acronym.

It's fucking stupid and pandering. It's like how LGBT has letters like Q and A and X in it now. The whole "people of color" thing is also dumb as fuck.

Signed:
Pissed off half Japanese guy tired of whitey deciding how to divvy up minorities into special acronym groups

I feel the same way...but am tired of POAC divvying up races/colors/genders etc....into special acronym groups.

Signed full blooded male human. You know the ones who are responsible for the majority of good, bad and mediocre things.

Back