NPR-Mexico Is World's Second Most Violent Country, Report Says

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Jesus H. Christ. When you are ahead of several countires that are engaged in open war you know things are violent. This is why I stick to the comparatively safe Baja region nowadays. Mexico has somehow managed to beat Afghanistan and all of Africa.

Honestly Mexico does not feel any more dangerous than when I was in a teen in the 90s spending time down there but that could be because at 16 I'd go down there looking for trouble and now I go looking for marlin

@Rod1 want to defend your homeland?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...are&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social

Mexico's government is contesting a new international report that says the country had 23,000 homicides in 2016 — a level surpassed only by Syria. The International Institute for Strategic Studies says that intense violence fueled by Mexico's drug cartels has reached the level of an armed conflict.

"The annual survey's lead investigator says Mexico's second-place ranking was surprising, considering the deaths are nearly all attributable to small arms," NPR's Carrie Kahn reports, "and not tanks or aircraft fire as in the political wars of Syria or Iraq."

News of the report has made headlines in Mexico, a country that can boast the world's 15th-highest gross domestic product, according to the most recent World Bank tally. On Wednesday, the government questioned the methods of the U.K.-based IISS and its decision to include Mexico in its annual Armed Conflict Survey.

In a joint statement, Mexico's secretaries of governance and foreign relations said the report irresponsibly points to the existence of an armed conflict within the country.

"This is incorrect," the statement continues. "The existence of criminal groups is not a sufficient criterion to speak of a non-international armed conflict. Neither is the use of the Armed Forces to maintain order in the country's interior."

a blog post about its findings in Mexico, IISS cited the use of government forces as one factor in its conclusions; it also blamed the problems on "institutional weakness and pervasive corruption" as well as the complex dynamic in Central America's Northern Triangle, made up of Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.

The armed conflict report also describes the militarization of Mexico's criminal gangs, which it says has both helped them grow and fueled a recent spike in killings.

As Kahn reports, "Mexico's murder rate rose dramatically last year, and 2017 doesn't look much better. The homicide rate for the first three months of this year is the deadliest since the height of the drug war in 2011."

Guess I’ll cancel my camping trip..

Why are racist threads like this allowed?

We better be discussing how white people caused this.

Guess I’ll cancel my camping trip..

It really depends on where you are. Although when I go far past TJ I suggest carrying.

Are you kidding me. In b4 white peoples insatiable drug habit is the cause for all of it in 4321

Great, another reason to hold off on deporting DACA folks. They are here illegally but sending them back to a warzone is not so nice. Lol

The next thing you know, Sherdoggers will be getting robbed at gunpoint!

<{Joewithit}>

Shit, too late

Last edited:
@Rod1 you only won Silver? Up your fucking game, bro!:)

Game isnt fair, we never had a large slave population that we treated like animals and then packed in slums in order to boost our crime stats.

Are you kidding me. In b4 white peoples insatiable drug habit is the cause for all of it in 4321

Insatiable drug habit? nah.

More like American Puritanism hypocrisy + sunk cost fallacy.

People like to get high + making drug smuggling a more serious crime than smuggling weapons = shitshow.

Game isnt fair, we never had a large slave population that we treated like animals and then packed in slums in order to boost our crime stats.

You can't be suggesting the descendants of African slaves are predisposed to crime are you Rod1?

So you're claiming Syria pisses hot?;)

@Rod1 want to defend your homeland?

Not going to defend the country, but most of the murders are directly associated with the drug trade so regular people may not feel it in large swaths of the the country.

Mexico is a weird country.

As I've said on here before, the city that I live in is statistically way more dangerous than Mexico as a country.

So, have at visiting Rod1.

Not going to defend the country, but most of the murders are directly associated with the drug trade so regular people may not feel it in large swaths of the the country.

Mexico is a weird country.

I reality I like poking fun at Mexico but at least where I go it is perfectly safe. And I really have no reason to go to Central Mexico.

I reality I like poking fun at Mexico but at least where I go it is perfectly safe. And I really have no reason to go to Central Mexico.

Yeah, thats why i said its a weird country.

Mexico is still one of the top 10 tourism countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

So its simply a matter of not doing dumb shit like backpacking into a drug growing region or something like that.

Insatiable drug habit? nah.

More like American Puritanism hypocrisy + sunk cost fallacy.

People like to get high + making drug smuggling a more serious crime than smuggling weapons = shitshow.

There you go, blaming everyone but your own Afghanistan wannabe country.
A lot of us would like to build better borders and improve border control to keep that shit out.

Yeah, thats why i said its a weird country.

Mexico is still one of the top 10 tourism countries.
the gov
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

So its simply a matter of not doing dumb shit like backpacking into a drug growing region or something like that.

I read one article that said there is basically a gentleman's agreement between the Cartels and the Mexican government. As long as the drugs-related violence stays at an acceptable level, the government won't crack down too hard. But if the Cartels start killing tourists, the Army etc will bring the pain. Tourism is just too financially important to Mexico.

American demand for drugs certainly has a role in the Mexican violence, wouldn't you agree?

I read one article that said there is basically a gentleman's agreement between the Cartels and the Mexican government. As long as the drugs-related violence stays at an acceptable level, the government won't crack down too hard. But if the Cartels start killing tourists, the Army etc will bring the pain. Tourism is just too financially important to Mexico.

I think it is more what region the violence is concentrated. Guerro is basically Mexico';s Chicago. You go there it is a true war zone.

Back