Movies Serious Movie Discussion

Geography with IT for my degree by the way, managed to use it for a grand total of a few months doing levelling surveys for a large building project then ended up stuck in crap jobs for over a decade before desiding to try my hand as an art photographer, zero training in that but a lot of film viewing probably helpful when it comes to composition.

Again I'd say probably start with The Lobster as an easier intro into his style and indeed an easier less harsh film generally than Sacred Deer,

Nah, I don't buy that. Making a terrible piece of shit doesn't constitute a valid mode of aesthetic critique.

Nobody said anything about "aesthetic" critique. Do you know what that word means?

There's nothing to buy or argue about, that was the purpose of the movie. You can say it's a piece of shit, but you can't argue the purpose that the filmmaker intended.

I imagine it just went over your head.

Nobody said anything about "aesthetic" critique. Do you know what that word means?

Assuming that you're asking me if I know what the word "critique" means, then yes, I know what that word means. That's why I used it there:

There's nothing to buy or argue about, that was the purpose of the movie.

Because, as you yourself have corroborated, critiquing the contemporary horror aesthetic "was the purpose of the movie."

You can say it's a piece of shit, but you can't argue the purpose that the filmmaker intended.

I'm not arguing that the filmmaker's purpose was not to offer an aesthetic critique. I'm arguing that making a piece of shit to show how terrible the aesthetic being critiqued is isn't a valid mode of critique. Stuff like Scream and Scary Movie are far more effective as critiques because the actual viewing experience isn't objectionable, which, for me, invalidates the critical intent.

I imagine it just went over your head.

naNEzNm.gif

Well it took a few days but I woke up this morning and realized suddenly that Star Wars is probably dead for the foreseeable future, The Last Jedi was that bad.

I'm glad to hear good things about Annihilation though; that's going to be my next in-theatre watch.

Also Bullitt seems to have gotten lost in the War Room and is currently hacking his way out one GIF-filled essay at a time, for anyone interested lol.

Last edited:
@Bullitt68 i thought it was really good. Funniest movie Ive seen last year, and a classic DDL performance. It gets a b it repetitive, but overall very intriguing and beautiful to watch as it goes to a more weird place.

It also has the best scene in PTA's career.

Well it took a few days but I woke up this morning and realized suddenly that Star Wars is probably dead for the foreseeable future, The Force Awakens was that bad.ol.

I'v still an appetite for the anthology films but as far as the sequels go yeah I find it very hard to imagine them being saved now, I think a lot of the issues with TLJ were seeing just how much damaging hiring a hack like Abrams did. Far too many apologists(Stuckman and Red Letter media stand out) for him at the time and indeed for his film making style before he came to Starwars.

Last edited:
I'v still an appetite for the anthology films but as far as the sequels go yeah I find it very hard to imagine them being saved now, I think a lot of the issues with TLJ were seeing just how much damaging hiring a hack like Abrams did. Far too many apologists(Stuckman and Red Letter media stand out) for him at the time and indeed for his film making style before he came to Starwars.

My bad, that's a pretty horrendous typo. Meant to say The Last Jedi :p

Well it took a few days but I woke up this morning and realized suddenly that Star Wars is probably dead for the foreseeable future, The Last Jedi was that bad.

I'm glad to hear good things about Annihilation though; that's going to be my next in-theatre watch.

Also Bullitt seems to have gotten lost in the War Room and is currently hacking his way out one GIF-filled essay at a time, for anyone interested lol.
the Last Jedi literally sucked Shane Diesel. Literally.

I didnt think Annihilation was good at all. Really is a generi horror scifi until the last act that has some weird scenes to be deep. It had potential but doesnt explore any of the interesting threads, particularly the shimmer event itself

Bullitt seems to have gotten lost in the War Room and is currently hacking his way out one GIF-filled essay at a time, for anyone interested lol.

3M8j0Cj.gif

@Bullitt68 i thought it was really good. Funniest movie Ive seen last year, and a classic DDL performance. It gets a b it repetitive, but overall very intriguing and beautiful to watch as it goes to a more weird place.

"Funniest"? Is it comedic? Or is it like Boogie Nights/Magnolia funny? I'm just very struck by that description, as it looked by all appearances to be a weird historical melodrama. No surprise to hear that DDL is good, though I'd be curious to know where you think the performance ranks among his other classic performances.

It also has the best scene in PTA's career.

ejRxhu4.gif

I may not count myself as a fan generally, but that dude's managed to craft some damn good individual scenes, so that's a bold statement. I'm not going to look to find out what scene you're talking about, but I'm going to have to keep this in mind for whenever I get around to checking it out.

I didnt think Annihilation was good at all. Really is a generi horror scifi until the last act that has some weird scenes to be deep. It had potential but doesnt explore any of the interesting threads, particularly the shimmer event itself

Hehe, that could serve as a description of Ex Machina. Hence my wariness.

First of all, @europe1 is back. WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

I'm playing this Gob/Final Countdown video for every time you make a comeback:

Why you make Ricky sad?

Please watch again. OKthnx.

When DDL is in bed and hallucinates his mother

This is an immense scene.

"Funniest"? Is it comedic? Or is it like Boogie Nights/Magnolia funny?

It's farce.

It's not unlike The Master - both portray a "master of his domain" clashing with a newcomer he is irresistibly attracted to. The Master isn't farce though. Tonally, Phantom Thread is doing something else.

It's a fucking incredible film. I liked it more than Inherent Vice and The Master.

I'm just very struck by that description, as it looked by all appearances to be a weird historical melodrama. No surprise to hear that DDL is good, though I'd be curious to know where you think the performance ranks among his other classic performances.

DDL is good. I don't like him for how much his performances (usually) distract from story. But here, he fits. I've been trying to think about why.

Late to the party, but I enjoyed Three Billboards... probably no surprise that the mick who wrote it picked Frqnces MacDormand as he was channelling the Coen brothers. I give it 7.5/10 Fargoes

Late to the party, but I enjoyed Three Billboards... probably no surprise that the mick who wrote it picked Frqnces MacDormand as he was channelling the Coen brothers. I give it 7.5/10 Fargoes
He also used the Coen's regular film music composer, Carter Burwell.

My bad, that's a pretty horrendous typo. Meant to say The Last Jedi :p
I thought I had entered the twilight zone for a moment there.
When DDL is in bed and hallucinates his mother
That caught me off guard. Great scene for sure. I've really got to watch this movie again.
"Funniest"? Is it comedic? Or is it like Boogie Nights/Magnolia funny? I'm just very struck by that description, as it looked by all appearances to be a weird historical melodrama.
I'd call it a romantic drama with comedic elements. Feels a little too genuine to call an outright farce.

The historical setting doesn't really matter, except concerning one character and her place in society / social status.

Do you like Romantic music? Johnny Greenwood composed one of my favorite film scores for Phantom Thread. Quite different from his previous work with PTA.

DDL is good. I don't like him for how much his performances (usually) distract from story. But here, he fits. I've been trying to think about why.
Haha I like him specifically because his performances overshadow the stories (usually)

Maybe he fits in Phantom Thread because he and PTA worked together to create the character in the earliest stages of writing / development. The whole film was crafted around the character.

Last edited:
To be fair pretty much every DDL film from My Left Foot onwards casts him in a role where he's expected to be the centre of attention.

To be fair pretty much every DDL film from My Left Foot onwards casts him in a role where he's expected to be the centre of attention.
Yeah pretty much everything aside from Gangs of New York, which would have been better if he was.

Yep, that film would I think clearly have been far superior as a Goodfella's style gangster bioepic.

Watched Angel Heart again for the first time in awhile and reminded again how much I love it, up there with Alien and The Thing as far as horror from that era with a touch of class to it. Maybe Rouke's best performance? full of great little moments("its anything can happen day") not to mention how he throws himself around in the fights/chases.

Back