Why giving Cody Garbrandt an immediate rematch is a terrible idea.

No thanks to cody fighting TJ again so soon. Prefer to see jimmy or dom get the shot. Cody should fight lineker or something

nicholas-cage-you-dont-say.jpg

Cody doesn't deserve a rematch, what the fuck. The dude has NO title defenses!

I guarantee you Cody will beat him in rematch. It’s a terrible idea for TJ.

Im not sure why Rivera isn't getting a shot he's on a massive win streak. Even TJ vs Moraes would be a top title fight.

True. He never successfully defended his belt once

I wouldn't be supprised at all, when the UFC are drinking the kool aid of one fighter they very rarely change their minds quickly, look at how long they kepy trying to sell Cain for example.

The first fight was close.

If Cody had 10 more seconds in that 1st round, he may have put TJ away.

That said, if Cody loses a 2nd time he's stuck in JDS, Benavidez, soon to be Boogeywoman territory.

Let Cody fight a Sterling or Assuncao type before rematching for the gold

True, but he didn’t. And when the dust settled, it was TJ who dropped Cody twice and finished the fight. After that first round, Cody didn’t even show flashes of the success he had early. TJ adapted, Cody didn’t, and that was the difference.

True, but he didn’t. And when the dust settled, it was TJ who dropped Cody twice and finished the fight. After that first round, Cody didn’t even show flashes of the success he had early. TJ adapted, Cody didn’t, and that was the difference.

I don't think its true personally, Dillashaw wasn't put down the way Cody was taking punishment, he was hurt but clearly defending himself so no I would not say a finish was anything like certain with more time.

That in itself is irrelevant though I'd say since Dillashaw timed that aggression specifically to try and steal the round because he knew if he got hurt Cody wouldn't have the time to follow up, its a pretty common tactic in recent years.

Honestly with both Cody and Cruz I think DIllashaw might well do better in the rematches since as you say he's the more adptative fighter who finished stronger both times against opponents who tend to only ever fight one way.

Cody vs Lineker would be a sick fight. I could see cody getting KO'd again after breaking his hands on Lineker iron head

062_TJ_Dillashaw_vs_John_Lineker_0_0.jpg

If they can tape together Dominick Cruz' broken arm/body back together, sacrifice him to Garbrandt. That's still a pretty good money fight.

If not, then set up a Jean-Claude Van Damme fight since there's already backstory to it and put it on the same card as the CM Punk fight. Or have Garbrandt fight CM. Go make some money, I read WME-IMG took on a lot of debt to get that $4 billion and the investors will want to collect soon...

I'd split the Moraes/Rivera fight.

First person between TJ and Cody to speak up gets to fight Moraes, the other has to deal with Rivera. Cruz can fight the Kelleher/Lineker winner.

I don't think its true personally, Dillashaw wasn't put down the way Cody was taking punishment, he was hurt but clearly defending himself so no I would not say a finish was anything like certain with more time.

That in itself is irrelevant though I'd say since Dillashaw timed that aggression specifically to try and steal the round because he knew if he got hurt Cody wouldn't have the time to follow up, its a pretty common tactic in recent years.

I don’t get your point. Essentially, you’re saying Cody caught TJ because he was being too aggressive in order to steal the round. Doesn’t that prove my point? Under this assumption, it’s even clearer that Dillashaw is the better fighter. Cementing this is the fact that TJ caught Cody twice with no scares in between. That can’t happen by chance.

I don’t get your point. Essentially, you’re saying Cody caught TJ because he was being too aggressive in order to steal the round. Doesn’t that prove my point? Under this assumption, it’s even clearer that Dillashaw is the better fighter. Cementing this is the fact that TJ caught Cody twice with no scares in between. That can’t happen by chance.

Yeah I'm in agreement with you on that entirely, just pointing out that the post you were responding to was questionable in claiming Cody was somehow unlucky in the 1st round, it was so accident he didn't have time to follow up and far from certain he would have been able to anyway, TJ was afterall fine by the second round.

If Dillashaw has a weakness I think its that he sometimes gets a bit carried away trying to push a fight and has to adapt but in rematches with Cody and Dom he now has very clear gameplans to follow.

I think fighters need more time and tune-up fights before going for the belt again. Losing an immediate rematch could do permanent damage to a top fighter, but then again UFC is all about short-term gain these days so I doubt they care.

Back