As Tesla Breaks Faith With Its Believers, It's Time To Go Short

In order to short, you have to have someone willing to take the other side right? Well, if what TS is posting is true, why will anyone bother taking the other side of the short sale?

They can simply not do anything. If Tesla stock does not flunk, they can still capitalize the old fashion way. If it does, well, at least they did not help make someone else rich. Who the heck wants to do that?

I am not sure what you are saying but shorts "borrow" stocks. They will borrow a Tesla stock at 390, sell it, pocket that 390, and buy back Tesla again when it hits 300 and gives it back to the owner with interest. lol. People have already made a fortune shorting Tesla but I wouldn't do it right now. It is already low.

Are you asking why somebody would let somebody else borrow their asset in hopes of devaluing it? I don't know that answer. lol.

Last edited:
You know how you can wirelessly charge your cellphone now.

Once the technology is there for your car/truck, it's game over, Elon will win.

You are assuming Google isnt going to be the one to come up with that

The Bolt has been killing it

General Motors (NYSE:GM) said it delivered 2,987 Chevrolet Bolt EVs in the United States in November. It was the best monthly sales total yet for the Bolt -- and the eighth month in a row in which its sales were up from the month prior.

At least for now, the Bolt is America's best-selling electric vehicle, having outsold all other contenders last month, including all three Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) models

Listen to Steve Wozniak:

for everyday life, "we always drive the Chevy Bolt EV instead of the Tesla, every day," Wozniak said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-wozniak-rants-against-elon-musk-and-tesla-2018-1
well yeah, he asked about all electric though, which the Bolt is not. and obviously a 35k Bolt is going to be more practical than a 90k model S. id bet that chevy malibu outsells every porsche too.

well yeah, he asked about all electric though, which the Bolt is not. and obviously a 35k Bolt is going to be more practical than a 90k model S. id bet that chevy malibu outsells every porsche too.

Bolt is full electric. And Tesla's model 3 is supposed to compete with it at a similar price. Everything is riding on the model 3. And they are blowing it.

At least Musk has done his homework. I never made the connection before. Model 3. Then 6 and 9 maybe.

quote-if-you-only-knew-the-magnificence-of-the-3-6-and-9-then-you-would-have-the-key-to-the-nikola-tesla-51-19-94.jpg

Nothing to do with his cars but Musk seriously looks like he sniffs his own farts ala that South Park hybrid episode.
Musk is good at self promotion and knows how to project good optics, kinda of like Steve Jobs.

That's not to say Tesla is all hype, because they have shown technical competency in their Australia backup power supply project. And their cars were groundbreaking, and ofcourse the Falcon heavy rocket is a genuine heavy lift solution for industry and military.

I am not sure what you are saying but shorts "borrow" stocks. They will borrow a Tesla stock at 390, sell it, pocket that 390, and buy back Tesla again when it hits 300 and gives it back to the owner with interest. lol. People have already made a fortune shorting Tesla but I wouldn't do it right now. It is already low.

Are you asking why somebody would let somebody else borrow their asset in hopes of devaluing it? I don't know that answer. lol.

Why let it be borrowed? If price going up, then just keep and sell at the higher price. Of if price going down, just sell it. If you want it back, buy again at the lower price yourself.

Why let it be borrowed? If price going up, then just keep and sell at the higher price. Of if price going down, just sell it. If you want it back, buy again at the lower price yourself.

WEll maybe they think the stock won't go down so they will have a rising stock and interest on top of it. Shorting is cool. Betting on Zero. This Wall Street big wig shorted this company that is a pyramid scheme to the tune of 1 billion. But then an even bigger bigwig who hates this guy, bought up the company. lol. Just to spite him.

The Big Short is also a fantastic movie.

WEll maybe they think the stock won't go down so they will have a rising stock and interest on top of it. Shorting is cool. Betting on Zero. This Wall Street big wig shorted this company that is a pyramid scheme to the tune of 1 billion. But then an even bigger bigwig who hates this guy, bought up the company. lol. Just to spite him.

The Big Short is also a fantastic movie.

I guess if they using the money and stocks they actually have for this, then its their business. But if it all falls apart, I dont want them bailed out. Let them lose everything. All the people playing this risky game that is.

I guess if they using the money and stocks they actually have for this, then its their business. But if it all falls apart, I dont want them bailed out. Let them lose everything. All the people playing this risky game that is.

Shorts can also drive up the price. Yes, shorting is risky. The Tesla example. They are waiting for this stock to go down, so what happens when it goes down? These shorts buy the stock back. If enough of them do it, it can raise the price back up again. Like, you sold Tesla at 390. You want to buy back at 300. That never happens. So when it hits maybe 350 you may want to buy it back because that is as low as it can go. So all those short buyers do that and it drives up the price. So if a company is shorted too much it can actually be good for the stock because there are so many people who are obligated to buy it back. A short squeeze is when it is done in a small period.

People have been burned shorting Tesla too. A lot.

@JonesBones - Do you think SpaceX will survive? Do you think Jeff Bezos is waiting to buy it to make Blue Origin a leading company in the rocket industry? Bezos has 6 times the Musk fortune.

heh... i sold tsla a while back and bought nvda instead

@JonesBones - Do you think SpaceX will survive? Do you think Jeff Bezos is waiting to buy it to make Blue Origin a leading company in the rocket industry? Bezos has 6 times the Musk fortune.

No idea on that stuff. Amazon's big thing now is getting into the food business. That's the next thing they can swallow up. Pharmaceuticals too. Just the rumor of Amazon getting involved in that makes stocks like Rite Aid, Walgreens and CVS worth less and have them very worried. Amazon is out of control imo.

They bought Whole Foods as their step into foods. Alibaba, a chinese company that is actually bigger than walmart and amazon combined, is looking into buying Kroger. This could get interesting. I said before these two giants are gonna collide.

Also, I think Disney can make a run at netflix. Think of all the content Disney owns. All Disney stuff obviously, Star Wars Franchise, a bunch of huge libraries from when they bought 21st century FOX. ESPN. They are loaded. lol. And plan to create their own netflix like service.

those cellphone chargers output 2 amps to a stationary object in proximity.

you wont be able to do that to a moving vehicle and if you could you wouldnt be able to power the drivetrain for sufficient speeds and if you could you would be too broke to use it.

Patience grasshopper!!!

Story: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4145646-tesla-breaks-faith-believers-time-go-short

Summary
. I think Tesla just made the biggest strategic mistake of its existence.
. Tesla, a faith-based investment, broke faith with its believers.
. Assume your cash will end just as all Tesla's cash ends: With a rapid burn.

"Elon Musk’s immense self-regard has led him to believe his company can do things differently from the way other automakers do them. He has special insights and visions that afford him the luxury of shortcuts. But what seems to him a special vision and understanding seems a prodigious arrogance and ignorance. By far the most important subsidy has been the $7,500 U.S. federal tax credit. If the Tesla buyer could not make use of it, then the leasing company could."

"But for Tesla, the end is near. That credit will be slashed in half in Q4, and will disappear altogether in 2019. Meanwhile, Tesla's competitors will have lots more running room. Tesla Is Structurally Bankrupt. Even once it ramps up Model 3 production, Tesla still will be losing hundreds of millions each quarter. As CoverDrive has spelled out, the company is structurally bankrupt - which is to say it depends completely on continued capital infusions for its survival."

Telsa stock was $341 when this was posted it's at $259 right now.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...l-collapse-says-hedge-fund-manager-2018-03-27

“Tesla, without any doubt, is on the verge of bankruptcy,” he told clients in an email over the weekend. He explained that funding will be hard to come by in the face of problems in delivering the Model 3, declining demand for the Model S and X, extreme valuation and a likely downgrade of its credit rating by Moody’s from B- to CCC.

“As a reality check, Tesla is worth twice as much as Ford [estimate of the enterprise value of both companies], yet Ford F+2.03% made 6 million cars last year at a $7.6 billion profit while Tesla made 100,000 cars at a $2 billion loss,” Thompson said. “Further, Ford has $12 billion in cash held for ‘a rainy day’ while Tesla will likely run out of money in the next 3 months. I’ve never seen anything so absurd in my career.”

Tesla declined to comment on Thompson’s views

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekin...e/4159709-tesla-headed-credit-driven-meltdown

Tesla Headed For A Credit Driven Meltdown
Mar. 29, 2018 7:45 AM•TSLA
Summary
  • Moody's not only cut credit ratings but gave criteria for further ratings cut.
  • We expect Tesla to fall short of Moody's expectations in a big way leading to further credit downgrades in about a month.
  • We see Tesla headed for a credit driven meltdown.

When Tesla (TSLA) raised debt capital in August of last year, we have argued that was an insane move on the part of the management.

In November of last year, we argued that the basis behind Moody's credit ratings of Tesla debt was no longer valid and that Tesla debt would be downgraded and Tesla would need to raise capital in 90 days.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcol...ns-musk-needs-to-sell-stock-now/#86ef80571f73

960x0.jpg

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, left, shakes hands with Elon Musk, right, Tesla and SpaceX CEO, prior to their meeting in Ankara, Turkey, Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2017. Erdogan's office did not immediately provide details on the meeting, however it comes days after a consortium of five Turkish businesses, including mobile phone operator Turkcell, launched a joint venture to design and produce a Turkish-made car, a joint venture was launched under Erdogan's urging. (Pool Photo via AP)

The firestorm surrounding Tesla's creditworthiness intensified late Tuesday as Moody's downgraded Tesla's Corporate Family Rating from B3 to B2. Tesla's bonds sank after the news and were last quoted at 87.7 cents on the dollar. I've been asked many times in the last few days how to check Tesla's bond prices; the source is Finra's TRACE system and the link to pricing of Tesla' 5.3% notes due 2025 is here.

http://openinsider.com/screener?s=T...2l=&v2h=&oc2l=&oc2h=&sortcol=0&cnt=100&page=1

John Douglas Field. Tesla VP Dumping Shares?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...-1000-shares-of-tesla-inc-tsla-stock.html/amp

John Douglas Field Sells 1,000 Shares of Tesla Inc (TSLA) Stock
Thursday, March 22nd, 2018
Joseph Griffin

Tesla Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) VP John Douglas Field sold 1,000 shares of the business’s stock in a transaction that occurred on Friday, March 16th. The shares were sold at an average price of $321.41, for a total value of $321,410.00. Following the transaction, the vice president now directly owns 20,561 shares in the company, valued at $6,608,511.01. The transaction was disclosed in a legal filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission, which is accessible through the SEC website.

Receive News & Ratings for Tesla Daily
Enter your email address below to receive a concise daily summary of the latest news and analysts' ratings for Tesla and related companies with MarketBeat.com's FREE daily email newsletter.

John Douglas Field also recently made the following trade(s):

• On Thursday, February 15th, John Douglas Field sold 1,000 shares of Tesla stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $330.06, for a total value of $330,060.00.
  • On Tuesday, January 9th, John Douglas Field sold 1,000 shares of Tesla stock. The shares were sold at an average price of $334.87, for a total value of $334,870.00.

Tesla stock going down also makes it harder for them to raise funds by issuing shares since they'd have to issue more to get the same amount of money.

Seeing as how they never actually make money and rely on cash infusions it's like a double whammy in terms of how they look on paper.

Story: https://seekingalpha.com/article/4145646-tesla-breaks-faith-believers-time-go-short

Summary
. I think Tesla just made the biggest strategic mistake of its existence.
. Tesla, a faith-based investment, broke faith with its believers.
. Assume your cash will end just as all Tesla's cash ends: With a rapid burn.

"Elon Musk’s immense self-regard has led him to believe his company can do things differently from the way other automakers do them. He has special insights and visions that afford him the luxury of shortcuts. But what seems to him a special vision and understanding seems a prodigious arrogance and ignorance. By far the most important subsidy has been the $7,500 U.S. federal tax credit. If the Tesla buyer could not make use of it, then the leasing company could."

"But for Tesla, the end is near. That credit will be slashed in half in Q4, and will disappear altogether in 2019. Meanwhile, Tesla's competitors will have lots more running room. Tesla Is Structurally Bankrupt. Even once it ramps up Model 3 production, Tesla still will be losing hundreds of millions each quarter. As CoverDrive has spelled out, the company is structurally bankrupt - which is to say it depends completely on continued capital infusions for its survival."

I might be missing something, but I don't think anyone dropping 80-130k on a car is really concerned with losing 3.5k in tax credits.

And yes, I realize a credit crunch would hurt; I just dont understand the comment on the tax incentive.

Tesla just posted their biggest quarterly loss yet, to the tune of $657million. Has Tesla ever posted a profit for 4 straight quarters?
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/tesla-q4-2017-earnings.html

Would Tesla even exist if it weren't for Uncle Sam injecting money into it? Which gets to my next question: why isn't Uncle Sam injecting money into every viable business, and isn't it unfair the gov. doesn't do this?

Elon Musk is worth $20 billion. I haven't kept up to speed on Tesla's gov. subsidies to the tune of billions, so has Musk paid of the government?
If the government is going to play crony capitalism and give billions in subsidies to dogshit tier companies like Walmart then we can afford to prop up visionary genius entrepreneurs like musk.

Back