Don't Be Evil: Google Drops Pentagon's A.I Contract, Create Censored Search Engine For China

I work in a Technical field in support of the US Military. We have a College a few miles south of where I work. There is a bar closer to the College that I used to frequent. Through the years I've heard countless students of academia tell me how our military is evil or is led by greedy interests and that we kill innocents, etc etc. Then I invariably meet some of the same people years later in meetings for platform sustainment, mission software development, or test planning. The real world inevitably slaps these young idealists in the face. Google should send out a survey to see what employees support this. If an overwhelming # support it then drop the contracts. Then fire half of the people who supported the measure citing the decrease in revenue as the reason. That would teach them that they can have an opinion and cling to ideals but you NEVER shit where you eat because there are consequences.
Yeah Google aren't going to drop this contract just to teach those darn millennials a lesson.

From its early days, Google has encouraged employees to speak out on issues involving the company. It provides internal message boards and social networks where workers challenge management and one another about the company’s products and policies.

Actively promoting employees having a voice will be a major plus to their workforce but this is also the consequence. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place but overall they will still come out on top.

I work in a Technical field in support of the US Military. We have a College a few miles south of where I work. There is a bar closer to the College that I used to frequent. Through the years I've heard countless students of academia tell me how our military is evil or is led by greedy interests and that we kill innocents, etc etc. Then I invariably meet some of the same people years later in meetings for platform sustainment, mission software development, or test planning. The real world inevitably slaps these young idealists in the face. Google should send out a survey to see what employees support this. If an overwhelming # support it then drop the contracts. Then fire half of the people who supported the measure citing the decrease in revenue as the reason. That would teach them that they can have an opinion and cling to ideals but you NEVER shit where you eat because there are consequences.

well theres every possibility they still feel the same just as we are seeing with all these google employees.

Don’t they want their family members to have the best technology, precisely so it keeps them out of danger???

America First is the best thing for not only America, but the rest of the world. If America wasn’t floating all these other first world nations, and they actually had to protect themselves, there wouldn’t be a whole lot of spending on helping Africans and other impoverished countries around the world.

Not tech that precisely bombs their ancestors

I wouldn't be keen on making weapons which enable robots to kill humans.

Alot of people want nothing to do with weapons used by humans, but weapons used by robots is another level of evil.

This is what I am saying... wtf. People are in support of giving drones AI, in addition to better weapons????

I know Skynet was fiction.. but if it would be much more scary in todays world with high speed internet, everything connected, endless databases of infomation.

Google/todays tech >>>>>>>>>>>>> skynet

Don’t they want their family members to have the best technology, precisely so it keeps them out of danger???

America First is the best thing for not only America, but the rest of the world. If America wasn’t floating all these other first world nations, and they actually had to protect themselves, there wouldn’t be a whole lot of spending on helping Africans and other impoverished countries around the world.

Is this a for real post?

"we believe google should not be in the business of war"

A little late for that, they have pretty much always been in the DoD/DHS/nsa business.

Fine cancel the govermenf contracts pay the fines required to get out of the contract. The government can stop doing all work with them by taking them out of the bidding pool.

Then Google can start the lay offs.

Them we get to hear them cry it's not fair. Fuck them.

Fine cancel the govermenf contracts pay the fines required to get out of the contract. The government can stop doing all work with them by taking them out of the bidding pool.

Then Google can start the lay offs.

Them we get to hear them cry it's not fair. Fuck them.
Lol Because fucking GOOGLE would go under without military government contracts?
<36>

Lol Because fucking GOOGLE would go under without military government contracts?
<36>

I have no idea how much they have in government contracts, total government contracts not just miltary. The government should not renew any of them if they want out of the miltary ones. Like I said take them out of the bidding pool. Their are plenty of competition out there to take their place.

I'm going to bet it's a bit and would hurt their bottom line some.

Unpatriotic shit heads. Not surprising

Also-

Not like they're making nukes for the military. It'll be used to make sure there's less accidental strikes on civilians vs sending it right through a known terrorists window

I think it's fair that employees of a tech company with a slogan "Don't be evil" don't want to be involved in military technology in any way.

I have no idea how much they have in government contracts, total government contracts not just miltary. The government should not renew any of them if they want out of the miltary ones. Like I said take them out of the bidding pool. Their are plenty of competition out there to take their place.

So you think the US government should target a US company by going after contracts unrelated to military applications because they don't want to build autonomous death robots?

What are you some kind of fascist dictator?

"Their are" lol

<31>
Would you like to live in Russia?
What exactly would be the point of that?
Google doesn't belong to the government. It's a private company.
Why the hell would you support the government's attempt at strong arming companies into doing their bidding?
If a company doesn't want to get involved with military affairs that is completely up to them.

And again, it is GOOGLE. If America wanted to shun them they could take their very lucrative business and move it elsewhere.
It would be absolutely retarded to cut ties in such a way.
Google would be just fine without America

Unpatriotic shit heads. Not surprising

Also-

Not like they're making nukes for the military. It'll be used to make sure there's less accidental strikes on civilians vs sending it right through a known terrorists window
What is patriotic about blindly doing whatever the government says?
The government is not always right. If your country is going in the wrong direction, then the patriotic thing to do is to speak up and try to change it.

The technology has the capability to be misused, and as we've already seen time and time again, it would most definitely be misused and abused by the government.

This wouldn’t be an issue if we just fought wars of self-defense. Problems create problems which create more problems. And so on.

gotta love when the leading invader of privacy in the world takes a stand

<36>
Regardless of what Google is worth, the books still need to be balanced after a hit. Such a hit would be huge and may take years to recover from.

ITT "conservatives" bootlick the biggest possible overreach of government. Executing people with fucking flying robots, sans due process. Baffling.

"Please U.S. Military, have all the information you need to create a synthetic intelligence that is authorized to execute human beings! USA... USA!!!"

Back