NCAA Wrestling

Taylor follows up Dake with a tech of his own. This U.S. lineup is pure savagery.

Oh, that was beautiful. It is sad that so guys dislike the chestlock, not so many wrestlers are good at it, or have consistent success with it. Chakaev, Bekbulatov (sometimes) and Dake are the guys right now.

I agree, I don't think USA has a challenge vs these countries. Japan, Azerbaijan and Georgia have their own champions and will probably win some of their matches; however, their teams are not strong enough. Turkey are very strong, too. Sucks to see them out.
Oh right i forgot about Turkey. I think their better in greco aside from the obvious monster that is Akgul.

Oh, that was beautiful. It is sad that so guys dislike the chestlock, not so many wrestlers are good at it, or have consistent success with it. Chakaev, Bekbulatov (sometimes) and Dake are the guys right now.
Dake has real deal greco skills and out of all the top guys is most likely to hit moves like that. Only other guy I can think of that hits 4 pointers is Molinaro but he gets it in a more freestyle manner.

Oh right i forgot about Turkey. I think their better in greco aside from the obvious monster that is Akgul.
They have a lot of good greco guys, but in freestyle too. They always have consistent bronze/silver and some gold medalists at the European championships.

Dake has real deal greco skills and out of all the top guys is most likely to hit moves like that. Only other guy I can think of that hits 4 pointers is Molinaro but he gets it in a more freestyle manner.

Dake has always been good at upper body stuff but he has really found a way to utilize it in freestyle the last couple of years. I think it was 2012 olympic team trials he was looking good before running into one of the Paulsons and trying to go upper body with him and just getting beat by Man muscle.

Im guessing having Jon Chavez in the Cornell room near his weight has helped. Chavez was a 4x fargo all american and cadet greco bronze before finally making the starting line up at Cornell and AAing this year. It cant be easy to find someone with that sort of upper body awareness at your weight who also can attack legs effectively.

I want to see Stieber wrestle Aliyev every day.

Wow, I didn't think Stieber could beat Aliyev, he Stieber seemed to lose to the top guys. I think Aliyev handily beats Stieber at 61 though, 65 is too big for Aliyev imo.

A big surprise is James Green losing to Azimov.

Cox needs to move to Ohio State full time.

He has too much talent for these results

My thoughts:

57 - Gilman looked decent but I still think his medal last year was a combination of fortunate circumstances and a good draw. I highly doubt he repeats and it wouldn't even surprise me if he doesn't make the team with so many talented guys waiting in the wing.
61 - Maple is not quite there. He's good in bursts but relies more on athleticism than technical prowess. That won't fly on the world stage. I don't think he'll ever sniff a medal. This is our weakest spot.
65 - The win over Aliev was impressive but speaks more to Logan's inconsistency than anything else. He had a nightmare draw last year and really couldn't perform. Up a weight, I just think he's too small. Zain will win the spot in my opinion but it's not a foregone conclusion.
70 - Green can be a bronze medalist or he can DNP. This weight will be interesting with the new weigh in procedures as I think there will be a lot of new talent to the weight. Molinaro will give him problems domestically but it should be his spot.
74 - Burroughs is Burroughs. Still king.
79 - Dake looks great at 79 and should medal.
86 - Taylor looks great at 86 and should medal.
92 - Cox never looks impressive but he usually gets the job done. I don't have a ton of faith in him but he's proven me wrong before.
97 - Snyder
HWT - Gwiz looked great but he's just keeping the spot warm until Gable matures. I don't think he'll repeat with another medal but he'll be competitive unless he gets a shit draw.

My thoughts:

57 - Gilman looked decent but I still think his medal last year was a combination of fortunate circumstances and a good draw. I highly doubt he repeats and it wouldn't even surprise me if he doesn't make the team with so many talented guys waiting in the wing.
61 - Maple is not quite there. He's good in bursts but relies more on athleticism than technical prowess. That won't fly on the world stage. I don't think he'll ever sniff a medal. This is our weakest spot.
65 - The win over Aliev was impressive but speaks more to Logan's inconsistency than anything else. He had a nightmare draw last year and really couldn't perform. Up a weight, I just think he's too small. Zain will win the spot in my opinion but it's not a foregone conclusion.
70 - Green can be a bronze medalist or he can DNP. This weight will be interesting with the new weigh in procedures as I think there will be a lot of new talent to the weight. Molinaro will give him problems domestically but it should be his spot.
92 - Cox never looks impressive but he usually gets the job done. I don't have a ton of faith in him but he's proven me wrong before.
97 - Snyder
HWT - Gwiz looked great but he's just keeping the spot warm until Gable matures. I don't think he'll repeat with another medal but he'll be competitive unless he gets a shit draw.
Can’t really disagree unlesss I nitpick

Dake has always been good at upper body stuff but he has really found a way to utilize it in freestyle the last couple of years. I think it was 2012 olympic team trials he was looking good before running into one of the Paulsons and trying to go upper body with him and just getting beat by Man muscle.

Im guessing having Jon Chavez in the Cornell room near his weight has helped. Chavez was a 4x fargo all american and cadet greco bronze before finally making the starting line up at Cornell and AAing this year. It cant be easy to find someone with that sort of upper body awareness at your weight who also can attack legs effectively.
Absolutely, and then there was that beautiful suplex he hit on Burroughs in either the 2013 or 2015 trials. I believe it was 2013. Also don't forget, Dake went 1-1 in the 2008 Greco junior world championships. He dominated Eric Grajales to make the team and Grajales was already a 2x Greco junior world team member who won the Greco side of Fargo at least once. And then he had the guts to take on the reigning world champ in MSG in a Greco match a few years back where he lost but did well. And finally, I have been unable to find any footage but I hear Dake pulled out some Greco type stuff when he beat Tsargush some years back. He is a very unique talent for sure.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

97 - Snyder
And di I see that Burroughs pinned someone?!?!!!? Hes actually getting better.

Back