Best martial arts movies

If boxing isn't a martial art, then how is taekwondo a martial art? Then how is BJJ a martial art?

There may be rules, but it's a developed full contact system, far more effective for combat than most Asian styles.

I just never thought of boxing as a martial arts...

I just never thought of boxing as a martial arts...

Boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, sanda, lethwei, it's all martial arts. Different styles/rulesets of striking. Disregarding one as a martial art would be to disregard them all as martial arts.

I'm going way back with these classic Chinese kung fu movies, but they are awesome:
The Five Deadly Venoms
Kid with the Golden Arm
Executioners of Death

More recently, Kill Bill 1 & 2

"The Champ" might have been the first movie that made me cry as a child. Those last scenes were very tough to watch.

The Hurricane was great as well.

"anything with Drunken or Monkey in the title". lol. Accurate and hilarious.

My favorite kung fu film is Hero with Jet Li.

51R8DBbLZFL._SY445_.jpg

Good movie. I'll add House of Flying Daggers as a similar and excellent movie. Throw in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon too.

The Raid 2 has some unbelievably sick fight scenes.

Example, the prison fight scene is almost sublime.

Personal faves are

Karate Kid (OG version)
Bloodsport
Kickboxer
Showdown in little Tokyo
Never back down
Fearless
Humble in the Bronx
Kill Bill 1&2
Best of the best
Lionheart
Mortal Kombat the movie
All the Rocky movies...If they count
Gladiator (1992 one, not the popular one)

MV5BMTkyNjk4NjE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjQyMjk2MjI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Fist of legend with jet li is my favourite kung fu movie ever closely followed by drunken master 2. Showdown in little tokyo is good value as well

A fun and visually impressive film is this recent one about the legendary martial arts hero Wong Fei Hung (played in the past by Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and others): Rise of the Legend. If you demand realistic fighting, however, you won't like it. This is fantasy fighting.

Recommend me some good martial arts movies. I don't care if it's a fictional movie or a movie based on a true story, it just has to be entertaining. Boxing, MMA, street fighting, even kungfu, whatever as long as the movie is actually good. Some examples of movies I like:

Creed, Rocky 1 & 6, Blood and Bone, Undisputed 2 and 3, Warrior, Southpaw, Ali, etc.

Please elaborate on your choices.

Sadly, most combat movies got terrible acting and boring stories, even the non-Asian ones. But there are a few gems among them.

Enter the Dragon of course
YPFlRFu.jpg

Enter the Dragon
Code of Silence (excellent film, excellent sound track)
The Octagon
Kung Fu Panda (yeah, I said it)
Original Karate Kid
Best of the Best
Bloodsport
Once Upon a Time in China (spectacular)
Police Story (Jackie's best)

Possibly the best movie ever made, let alone best martial arts movie...image.jpg

Honourable mentions:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

best martial art move is easily crouching tiger hidden dragon

Back