How many days holiday do you get??

amplus

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Thought I'd carry this question over from another thread. Basically in the UK the minimum amount of holiday we get including bank holidays is 28. The average amount is between 31-33. In some parts of Europe they can get up to 40 days holiday.

I love America and could see myself living there EXCEPT I couldn't because of the piss poor (so I'm told) amount of days holiday you guys get?? Am I right that you only get around 15 including holidays???? Also told it's frowned upon by bosses for even attempting to take holiday's???

Work is shit enough as it is so have to have my annual 14-17 day trip abroad somewhere.

You are correct. 15 days, or three weeks, is a typical amount of pto to get in the states. Most jobs actually start out less than that. I can't imagine having 40 days pto each year. Not to mention the shorter work days you guys typically get. Working would feel like retirement.

You are correct. 15 days, or three weeks, is a typical amount of pto to get in the states. Most jobs actually start out less than that. I can't imagine having 40 days pto each year. Not to mention the shorter work days you guys typically get. Working would feel like retirement.

Shorter work days?? How many hours do you guys do on average??

Here we do between 38-40 hours a week. My hours are 8.30-5pm with an hour lunch. Standard hours really.

Shorter work days?? How many hours do you guys do on average??

Here we do between 38-40 hours a week. My hours are 8.30-5pm with an hour lunch. Standard hours really.
Ok. I don't know standard labor practices in every EU country. I was under the impression that many have a shorter work day than the standard 8 hr work day. I would say, in the states, 8-5 with an an hour lunch for white collar jobs, and the same hours but with a 30min lunch for blue collar jobs, is the common schedule.

in the UK..I get 32 days a year and work a 4 day week...but I work some weekends and bank holidays except Christmas and Boxing day and work a maximum 9.5 hour shift but that can be at any time including earlies and night times...

Well, keeping in mind the thread starter included bank holiday, standard in Quebec starts at 18, and goes to 23 after three years. It's calculated on 4% of your salary and goes up to 6%. Some companies give you 8% after ten years. 2% is roughly two weeks. We get around eight public paid holidays.

So, start at 10 +8, then 15+8, then 20+8 if you're really lucky.

35-40 hours is pretty standard here.

2.5 Leave Days A Month that I can save up. Currently at 77. Resets to 60 in October so about to take 20 some days in June .

Only definitely need to work on Saturdays so about 300 days a year potential holiday.

15 and I feel robbed. Used to have 25 at Deloitte. Motherfucker.

But I make up by working from home a good bit.

Thought I'd carry this question over from another thread. Basically in the UK the minimum amount of holiday we get including bank holidays is 28. The average amount is between 31-33. In some parts of Europe they can get up to 40 days holiday.

I love America and could see myself living there EXCEPT I couldn't because of the piss poor (so I'm told) amount of days holiday you guys get?? Am I right that you only get around 15 including holidays???? Also told it's frowned upon by bosses for even attempting to take holiday's???

Work is shit enough as it is so have to have my annual 14-17 day trip abroad somewhere.

I've been where I am for 12+ years and I get 120 hours. I think you get 40 after six months. Can't be sure.

We definitely don't know how to live in America but we do put in the hours.

Not including bank holidays / public holidays: - 32.

Very happy with it.

Current job is very generous by American standards:
25 (for my tenure) + 8 fixed

Previous job was bullshit:
15-20 + 8 fixed
except they'd never adjust deadlines based on time off, so if you took some weekdays off, you'd wind up working just as many hours - weekends, extra before, or extra after - to make up for it. Big fucking deal. I take Friday off, then have to work Saturday to keep up. Great fucking benefit.

We max out at 15 days vacation. As for holidays, I think we get about 10. We do not keep track of sick days though and they do not count against your vacation. We are all salary and there is a good chance you'll be working overtime on some weeks, so why nickel and dime on sick days?

I live in America and get 28 PTO days. It's actually hard to use all of them. A day off just means more work the next day.

Back