How many days holiday do you get??

I work a federal job and we call it Annual Leave. I get the 10 official holidays off, we call that Holiday Leave. ( so 80 hours of free pay) and then I get 120 hours of Annual Leave per year. It rolls over if you don't use it all to a maximum of 440 hours. Then it's use it or lose it. So that's another 15 days per year minimum.

We get Sick Leave as well but we accrue that, I think I have like 300 hours or so saved. I can call in sick 8 times per year without getting a written up. More if a doctors slip is provided.

Sooo, 25 days off paid leave per year + another 8 or more of sick days if I use them. I very rarely call in sick though.

Last edited:
I'm self employed so none. But I only work 3 days a week at this point so I'm off more than I am on.

I get 12 paid holidays and 20 paid days off but my work is a little better than most.

I get 24 days paid days off per year in theory, but that time must also cover paid sick days, getting budgeted, etc. I usually take 3-5 days off per year and cash in 100 hours of time for an end of the year bonus instead.

21 paid days and a few bank holidays.

I work 8.5 hours.
5 days a week.

2.5 Leave Days A Month that I can save up. Currently at 77. Resets to 60 in October so about to take 20 some days in June .

Make sure you have the max saved up when you get out for that terminal leave.

Make sure you have the max saved up when you get out for that terminal leave.

Thats many years down the line my friend. I'm 13 years in and I'm doing at least 20. If I'm an E8 by the time I hit 20 I'll probably keep going til I get E9.

30 vacation days plus a dozen holidays...

30 vacation days plus like 5 or 8 sick days

I usually hold onto them and take December off

25 days plus bank holidays, and usually an extra couple of days over Christmas, I typically work 35-45 hours a week.

I get 4 weeks vacation plus 9 or so paid holidays. I don't get them off though unless they happen to fall on my days off. I get 2.5× pay for working them though

one month paid and about two weeks unpaid were I pretend to be sick.

Vacation = US holiday

Americans often don't take all of it for fear of being looked on as lazy by employers.
most Americans don't have PTO they have normal Holidays off like Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Year's Day, Labor Day, 4th July, Memorial Day, and maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. There's still other places like stores that force their workers to work those days. I sure this thread is for folks working in offices or other places where it's more of a career based thing and not just a job or work.

It was strange where I worked as I got 184 hours a year. The original owner just paid out the time in April. If you took time off that was fine but you didn't get paid that week. I never took time off. They thought they couldn't get along without me and I didn't want them to find out they could.

The new owners required using at least 40 hrs per year. You had to apply for it so there weren't too many people off at the same time. The first to apply had first choice at the days they wanted. At first they wanted you to take 40 hours at a time. Then they allowed it to be taken 8 hours at a time. They used the anniversary date of when you were employed instead of a calendar year. You could apply to get a payout for the remaining hours but it had to be done before the year end or you could roll them over to the next year.

Then they decided they wanted employees to use all of the hours instead of paying them out and changed everything to the calendar year. Since my anniversary date was in October, I had just rolled over 120 hours and got my 186 hours so I had 306 hours when they started the new policy on the first of the year. At the start of the year I got 3.6 hrs more per week so it kept going up.

When I applied for time off they would deny it because we were too busy. When it got into July I had 380 hrs and climbing. HR asked me why I wasn't using it and I explained that I tried but management would't approve it. They told me to copy them on my Email applications. I started taking Mondays and Fridays off as well as days before and after holidays and a couple of weeks.

My company is getting rid of PTO in July. They are saying "You can have as many days as long as your manager agrees" fucking horseshit. I'm taking all my PTO time before july and looking for a new job. This place fucking sucks after we went public.

I'm in the UK. I work 37 hours a week and get 25 days off, not including bank holidays, which adds another 8 days.

I work from home for the most part too, so is pretty sweet.

25 along with the 8 or so holiday days in the UK.

Not enough imo. Deserve 35.

Over here in Switzerland it depends of where you live. In Zurich we have 25 days vacation + 9/10 holidays.
I work from 8:00 to 17:30 with 1 hour lunch + two 15min breaks in the morning and afternoon.
I'm going on vacation the first two weeks of may and because of Labour Day I get one vacation day more this year.

Back