This is why leg kicks aren't really effective.

DatSamboKid

Muay Khao
@red
Reaction score
I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.

"Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter."

Everyone already knew this.

they are great for scoring points too though and a good type of volume striking.

silva%20v%20irvin%20leg%20kick%20counter.gif

Nice leg kick by Irvin.

Depends on who you are fighting imo

Anyone who fights Nate Diaz would be silly not to blast his legs

Look what Jeremy Stephens did to Giblert

Gaethje limited MJs movement quite a bit by chopping at his legs

Wow. Jabs rarely knock guys out, so boxers should stop throwing them...

leg kicks are really effective, gaetje needs to learn how to set up these low kicks with various techniques and movments

Last edited:
they are great for scoring points too though and a good type of volume striking.
are they though? I don't think Joanna got any points for the leg kicks she used against Rose. Not saying she won the fight but 4 rounds to 1? :(

They do work, but you can't abandon them or keep going back to exact approach. Go high, switch, go calf, go ribs, toss a question mark out.
Dustin was hurt and by 3rd round he was looking around for someone to save him. Justin had his typical fight IQ and didn't change anything when it stopped working. Someone see if a picture of that inside thigh has been posted on DPs account

Or in relation to Aldo, you just spend most of your time yelling to throw another one

I would throw a lot of leg kicks in fights before my coach told me to scrap that and focus on my better weapons.

I asked him why and he said: "Unless you have the power to finish a guy with leg kicks, you should focus on other strikes that will do more damage. A leg kick can easily be checked and even if you are a heavy leg kicker, it's very hard to finish a high level opponent with it and easy to get countered".

Unless you have Barboza type leg kick power, it should be used to set-up high kicks or sweeps. Leg kicking is a long term investment in a fight, you rarely see people finishing guys with it in the first or second round. The longer it goes, the higher your chances are for a counter.

Before Sherdog crucifies me for dissing leg kicks, I'm not. It's a great weapon, but it's a weapon that rarely finishes fights. It should be used to get your opponent thinking. You hurt him a bit, get him thinking low and you start going high. When he knows you are going high, go low again..etc etc etc.
I take it your coach also says cardio isn't that important because you will never go into deeper rounds. Right? I mean if you are not working for the later rounds what does anything but a viscious head shot matter. Right ts????

TS, seriously, you deserve every bit of criticism you're going to get from this....You obviously didn't put any thought into this...

Because leg kicks rarely finish fights, they shouldn't be used because they are not effective?

I'll give you 1 chance to return and explain to everyone how misguided you are and explain why the fact they rarely finish fights doesn't mean they are not very effective....

1 chance.

Wow. Jabs rarely knock guys out, so boxers should stop throwing them...
This. I guess all combinations/set ups should be abandoned because they don't finish fights and everyone should just swing for the fences and gas in 60 seconds like Tank Abbott.

You would think Gaethe could've gotten some easy takedowns with how damaged Poirier's legs were.

Jeremy Stephens & Jose Aldo would beg to differ.

As long as you set up the leg kicks with your hands the chance of a counter is smaller, also yes if someone starts checking them you should stop, but it would be stupid to not kick the leg when the Opponent isnt checking them and doesnt have a answer for it.

Back